Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

Yay Hrisskar!

Yes, it was the dragon priest I was very worried about. In-game I had Sjadbek bypass it pretty much the same way you did - get to the portal before he can take the staff. (In story, I had Sjad kill the dragon priest.)

But yeah, that one's a challenge even at ADEPT difficulty and full HUD. Hrisskie was very wise not to allow that battle to ensue.

Believe it or not the game glitched on me. The first time I approached the portal and then sprinted into it, nothing happened, and then it closed on me. I was left to fight the dragon priest. And I was fine with that. The game goes as the game goes. We fought for quite a while. And I ended up using the storm call shout or whatever. Well, for some reason the priest was floating around and slipped off a ledge. He didn't die, but he was way below and stuck in a crevice.

The lightning ended up killing him eventually, but his body disappeared, and the staff went with it. I dropped down and searched for a long time, but it was totally gone. I tried to get the portal to open, and even waited, thinking maybe it was timed, but it never opened.

So I began to think something was glitched, and checked UESP, and sure enough .. I needed the staff to open the portal, but it was gone. I was literally stuck. So, in great frustration, I had to reload the game.

Second playthrough went exactly as you read. d;-)

BIGwooly

Well, after three days of on and off reading, I've read all 56 pages and 1110 posts on this thread! I have to say I'm absolutely amazed by the constantly high standard of narration and emotion you convey through your writing. You've had me absolutely hooked throughout and my studying has gone completely on hold while I've read this through.

Seeing the evolution of your character, mentally and physically from a nervous and unskilled commoner to a steely and battle-hardened warrior has been intense and fascinating throughout. So much so I've decided to restart 2 of my current playthroughs with many of the restrictions you've used here. I definitely feel that your measures will improve my experience and immersion.

Although, I think my archer in my avatar will have to wait until I've got used to playing without crosshairs! :p

You read all of this in 3 days. Holy crap. You should get an award for that. d;-)

Glad you're loving it. Thanks for the awesome compliments, my friend. I really appreciate the support. It's so much fun to play this way, and I'm really glad to hear that others have tried it and love it too. You'll love playing this way I'm sure.

As for lack of crosshairs, stick with it as the reward is great. It's hard at first, and requires trial and error to figure out where to aim. But isn't that how archery should be? The crosshair makes it way too easy. By removing it, you will really actually feel you've learned a skill when you get better at aiming. It's pretty rewarding.

Believe it or not I'm at the point now where I can actually aim quickly and hit most of the time. And it's still very satisfying. Hang in there. Trust me!

BIGwooly

GAH SUCH GOOD LAST COUPLE OF ENTRIES!!!! seriously though what will Hrisskar do after Alduin is defeated? I really don't want this to end and I doubt anyone else wants it to end.

Thanks! I can't say for sure what Hrisskar has ahead of him. Right now he's a bit preoccupied with things. But keep in mind I have a second project I'll be starting up soon. It's entirely possible the two could run at the same time, or not. I don't know yet. But something new is coming either way. d;-)

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
The 3D Zelda games, actually, are good at making you learn archery without crosshairs. (Also, they impose far more realistic arrow limits than "as many as you can get your hands on").

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
Thanks! I can't say for sure what Hrisskar has ahead of him. Right now he's a bit preoccupied with things. But keep in mind I have a second project I'll be starting up soon. It's entirely possible the two could run at the same time, or not. I don't know yet. But something new is coming either way. d;-)
yeah i have been really excitedly awaiting your new journal for quite sometime as every once in a while you start dropping hints but you say there is some big game-changer. Very excited to learn what it is but I still have the unrealistic hope that Hrisskar will never end.

BIGwooly

- 16th of Evening Star, 4E 202 -

It is finished.

I found my way through a thick mist to the Hall of Valor in Sovngarde. I was greeted by a heroic nord named Tsun, who is the shield-thane of Shor, and who guards the bridge to the Hall of Valor. As I was not yet dead and hadn't proven myself in life, I was not allowed to pass unless I could defeat Tsun.

He was formidable, and before I knew it he had bested me ... killed me. But I was alive in Sovngarde, and the workings of this are entirely unpredictable and beyond my meager comprehension. So instead of remaining dead and finding a permanent home in Sovngarde, I simply .. well .. reappeared in living form.

So I had a second chance to prove myself, and this time I made use of a powerful paralyze potion I had been hanging onto. The poisoned end of my mace sent Tsun to the ground and I beat upon him like a drum, and as the poison wore off he conceded the battle to me. And I was allowed to pass and enter the Hall of Valor.

hallofvalor.jpg

The first face I met inside was none other than Ysgramor. Ysgramor .. right before my eyes. I couldn't speak. Luckily he did, and directed me to a trio of heroes that were waiting for me. We were to confront Alduin together, right there in Sovngarde. And thus no sooner had I laid eyes on the Hall of Valor than I had left it. I wanted to stay and take it all in, but someone such as myself doesn't belong in that place yet. So out of respect, I left .. and headed to the task at hand. Alduin.

sovngardebridge.jpg

After crossing the bridge we confronted Alduin's mist. Our voices drove it away, and Alduin's drove it back. So we drove it away again, but again the ancient dragon created his evil mist. The third time we drove it away for good, and without the mist to hide in Alduin made his appearance above us.

alduinsovngarde.jpg

I wasted no time in attacking. This was sure to be a trying battle, and there was no sense in posturing and drawing it out. My voice assaulted the dragon with the powerful dragonrend shout, and thus forced him to the ground where we could better handle him.

Over and again this was the case. I would use my voice to bind the dragon to the ground, and the others would attack him with me once he was at our feet. The battle raged for a time I can't fathom. It could have been an hour or a week. Time was irrelevant. Fate was on the line, and that was all that mattered.

We struck at Alduin with the force of a legion, and he struck back the same. But in time he weakened, and in time we defeated him. His body burst forth with his power and exploded with light and sound, blinding and deafening me for a time. And then he was gone, and it was over.

And now I sit on a bed in Ivarstead, having just come down the steps from the Throat of the World. My mind cannot comprehend that Alduin is gone. I'm realizing now that there was a part of me, perhaps most of me, that thought this day would never come. That Alduin would prevail and Tamriel itself would fall to a knee in front of him. After all, my father was a shopkeeper and I was trained in the arts of fishing and sweeping floors. How could this have been my destiny all along? It is numbing to comprehend it.

But is it really over? On the way down to Ivarstead an elder dragon appeared, and attacked. I called on Odahviing for help, and together we defeated it. But it served as a reminder that not all of the dragons will live in peace with us. Alduin may be dead, but there are others who seek to take his place.

What is next for me I don't know. Other than a warm meal and a bed. After that, we shall see.

Kaleia

Awesome climax to Hrisskar's quest against Alduin. :cool:

I've a question though, since you didn't mention Paarthurnax. I don't believe I saw anything concerning the Blades' demand that he be killed...what did you do concerning that? *goes to double triple check*

bulbaquil

I've a question though, since you didn't mention Paarthurnax. I don't believe I saw anything concerning the Blades' demand that he be killed...what did you do concerning that? *goes to double triple check*

It's possible he may have bypassed it. He didn't do "Season Unending" because the Stormcloaks had already won, and though he went to Esbern for information about Odahviing, I think it's Delphine that tells you that, and if Hrisskar didn't talk to Delphine...

The relevant post would have been this one (#1085 in the thread).

BIGwooly

Hrisskar did speak with Delphine but he basically ignored her because he feels her emotions are leading her and not her brain. d;-)

BIGwooly

- 18th of Evening Star, 4E 202 -

Back in a familiar place today. After traveling from Ivarstead back to Whiterun I went to see the jarl to let him know that Alduin was dead. He will handle relaying the information to the other jarls in Skyrim.

His court steward stopped me on the way out and let me know that there was a house available in Whiterun. It could be mine for five thousand septims. Although I'm sure the price was fair, and although I had double the amount required, I just couldn't agree to the deal. Too much has happened over the past few months for me to consider buying a home .. anywhere. I've been without a home for more than a year, living day to day at inns in this town or that. I wouldn't know what to do with a home in a city like Whiterun.

No. I needed some time .. and some space ... to get my head clear. I felt like a man who has been holding his breath underwater for too long. I needed to catch my breath.

So after a night at The Bannered Mare I left on my horse and headed towards Riverwood. I don't even know why I chose that direction. It wasn't so much an active decision as it was an impulse. But I reached Riverwood and kept riding. I had no set destination, and after nothing but months of critical tasks to complete, I felt strangely lost and free at the same time.

As I rode upstream I took everything in around me. Memories flooded back .. my father's death and the sacking of Helgen .. struggling to survive in the wild for the days after .. hitting an elk with an arrow from a great distance .. spending a night stranded on a cliff face, certain I was going to die .. confronting an ice wraith to try and join the stormcloaks, and nearly getting myself killed .. so many things have happened over the past year. My father would never believe me. My mother would scold me for being so careless so often.

And this daydreaming was how it came to pass that I found myself riding past my old camp on the island. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I felt a sense of home. Not since my days in Morrowind did I have that feeling. Helgen certainly never felt entirely like home. But my island, now that was home.

I forded the lake water atop my horse and had a look around. The boat was still in good shape, as was the tent. And the view of the lake and Skyrim's peaks was as comforting as it always was. Even the light rain that fell gave me a sense of security and protection. I was home.

islandhome.jpg

AS88

Staff member
You read all of this in 3 days. Holy crap. You should get an award for that. d;-)

Glad you're loving it. Thanks for the awesome compliments, my friend. I really appreciate the support. It's so much fun to play this way, and I'm really glad to hear that others have tried it and love it too. You'll love playing this way I'm sure.

As for lack of crosshairs, stick with it as the reward is great. It's hard at first, and requires trial and error to figure out where to aim. But isn't that how archery should be? The crosshair makes it way too easy. By removing it, you will really actually feel you've learned a skill when you get better at aiming. It's pretty rewarding.

Believe it or not I'm at the point now where I can actually aim quickly and hit most of the time. And it's still very satisfying. Hang in there. Trust me!

My pleasure, I couldn't tear myself away! I have started playing almost as you have, it's a bit of an adjustment but I'm enjoying the change. I've also decided to start a journal myself, so; (shameless, I know)

Sharn gro-Arok - Orc Warrior Character Diary | Skyrim Forums

The backstory is horrifically long but some here might enjoy it :)

bulbaquil

Sjadbek extends his congratulations to Hrisskar, and looks forward to helping rebuild Skyrim with him.

As for you... well, who knows what's up your sleeve next? :) Something awesome, no doubt.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts