PS3 Blood on Ice won's quest won't start

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jason Moore

I've completed all the SC quest and Jarl says I can purchase a house in Windhelm but the guys that sell it says there has been a problem and I can't buy it just yet...Everyone keeps talking about the murders and I know I need to complete this quest before I can buy the house but nothing seems to trigger the Blood on Ice Quest...Any thoughts

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Blood on the Ice is notorious for being buggy. Do you have the latest patch installed for your game?
Are you on console or PC?

Jason Moore

Im on PS3...It doesn't say it needs an update when It loads...I can't furnish my house in Whiterun either because Brill is dead in the street. This game is so f'ing buggy! lol

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I didn't see the thread prefix when I read this the first time. (Not enough coffee yet, apparently.)

Are you connected to the internet when you start the game? Can you see a game version when you start?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
That's it, yes. Patch 1.4 is the one. Let me see what I can find for you. I know Blood on the Ice was supposed to be addressed in some fashion.

Jason Moore

Still no luck...I found the key to the Hjerim house on a suicide body in the Shatter Shield house. I looked around the Hjierim house and found the butcher journal, the warning letters and the investigation sites. However nothing happened when I selected the different investigation sites. Then I realized that I was the reason Shatter Shield killed himself because I killed his second daughter in the Dark Brotherhood quest. So i loaded a game 4 levels back to when he and his daughter was still alive and before I talked to the contract wanting her killed. I then talked to the Jarl and he told me to help 5 people and buy a house to become Thane. So I finished helping 5 people quest and traveled back and forth to Windhelm probably 10 times and still no Blood/Ice trigger. The Shatter Shield guy did give me a quest for an Amulet...Do I need to do that first?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
The best thing I can suggest is to read through this (lengthy) page. This is the comment page for this quest. There seems to be a whole lot of individual components that contribute to the bugginess so I think it will be easier for you to track down knowing what you've done in your game.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim_talk:Blood_on_the_Ice

If you do get it figured out, we'd love to hear what worked.

Jason Moore

I don't get it...Every NPC on the quest list is alive except for Arivanya (Found her casket). I've tried pickpocketing the key from Tova and entering the Hjerim house. Ive tried to give the butcher journals to various people. Why does the next murder never happen? Nothing seems to trigger this stupid quest...If I would have known this game is such a glitchy POS I would have bought the PC version so at least I could have the terminal option. Is there anyway to report these problems to Bethesda?

Jason Moore

Thanks again for your help Rayven...Maybe the next update will solve this issue. It's just not worth going back 20 levels just to buy a house in Windhelm.

Necromis

actually Jason the bugs for this quest have been fixed from the most recent patch, but it won't help you on your current play through just any new play throughs.

Jason Moore

It just doesn't make any sense that all the NPC keep talking about a murderer and there is never any more progression for the entire city...It must not be completely fixed. Why would the steward keep saying that the house is not available quite yet if there is never going to be a quest trigger to make it available?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Blood on the Ice works properly on all platforms on the 1.4 patch only if you use a character made after the 1.4 patch came out. It won't work on any character made before the 1.4 patch.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
It isn't that hard to make a new character.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts