The Game of Thrones thread! (Warning: Spoilers will be present!)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
anYP1qn_700b.jpg

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Well, I mean, let's be honest; it was no Blackwater, was it? They tried to imitate it with the fire, but they're never again going to match that napalm-esque wildfire explosion. *sigh* book-rant over.
That long pan shot blew Blackwater right out of the water, IMHO. One of the best shots in the entire series. I'll take a brilliantly choreographed, acted, and directed shot over some CGI explosions any day.

EpicVakarian

Calibration-Master General
You're making it sound as though the Blackwater wasn't brilliantly choreographed, acted and directed. I don't think the Battle of the Wall needed an entire episode to get down. It's nice that they managed it without getting boring, but it didn't really need it. The Blackwater was done exactly as in the books; set aside a few chapters to focus entirely on the Battle.
And let's not forget, that "some CGI explosion" gave us one of the best scenes of the entire battle; Tyrion and the soldiers looking shocked while Joffrey just laughs.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
And let's not forget, that "some CGI explosion" gave us one of the best scenes of the entire battle; Tyrion and the soldiers looking shocked while Joffrey just laughs.

The most intense moment of that whole sequence was Davos and Stannis on the ship, watching the empty ship floating by, then seeing it's leaking wildfire. The explosion was a great visual, but it was that moment of dread, of Davos and Stannis realizing what's about to happen, that hit me emotionally.

And the pan shot in the battle at the Wall had me holding my breath, trying to take everything in, and appreciating more and more with every second just how epic that single shot was.

I can only speak for myself, of course. But I liked the battle for the Wall much better than the battle for the Blackwater.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I agree iPag, For some reason I felt a fear that the Night's Watch would lose, one I didn't feel at Blackwater because I knew the Wildfire would do the Lannisters good.

But both episodes were really good!

Wildroses

Janos Slynt was even more of a pussy than he was in the books.

Seriously? o_O How is that possible?

Mind you, I once boggled a TV watching non-book reader when I said Viserys Targaryen was much more likable in the show than the books, which I would still argue is true. (I have seen the first season).

In the books all Viserys ever did was scream at Dany and assault her, but in the show we got to see his more vulnerable side. I got a sense of how hard it had been for him trying to be a King in poverty, and how badly he missed what he had lost when his dynasty was toppled. You also saw a little evidence in the show that he had a genuine affection for his sister that wasn't sexual (although the sexual affection was certainly there in both mediums, hoo boy).

I would not argue that TV show Viserys was a character who should be liked because he was just misunderstood and his coronation was as big a tragedy as Ned's beheading, the Red Wedding and Tyrion's trial by combat. No, we are talking purple wedding levels of celebration when he died. TV Viserys deserved his golden crown as much as book Viserys.

Oh, and if you've forgotten who Viserys is, he was Daenerys's older brother, the mean one who survived and was alive when the story started, not the nice one who died before the story began.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Mind you, I once boggled a TV watching non-book reader when I said Viserys Targaryen was much more likable in the show than the books, which I would still argue is true. (I have seen the first season).

I actually think the exact opposite. I found him more likable in the books, since, through Dany's thoughts and feelings, we see a different side of him in the books than we do in the show. We see that, despite it all, she loved her brother, because for as long as she could remember, he was the one who had taken care of her. We learn more of their background, how they were exiled after the rebellion and how Viserys had to beg, sell everything they had, and rely on the mercy of others to get by, how they were hunted by assassins and lived in constant fear of them, how from the age of fourteen he had nobody but himself to depend on, not only to survive but to keep his sister alive, too. Dany understands how and why Viserys became so bitter and cruel, and in turn, the reader can, too. That doesn't mean his actions can be excused, but at least they're easier to swallow when you know what led him to make them.

EpicVakarian

Don't. Seriously, we had this conversation last time. It may be that this thread is spoiler-ful, but there are some watching this thread that haven't seen it yet. Talk about it tomorrow.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Don't. Seriously, we had this conversation last time. It may be that this thread is spoiler-ful, but there are some watching this thread that haven't seen it yet. Talk about it tomorrow.

Sure sure, whatever you say boss.

BTW did you see the new cast for next season?

Apparently some people called Sand Snakes are going to be there.
And Oberyns brother

Also Bronn's wife and some guy named Yezzan

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
BTW did you see the new cast for next season?

Apparently some people called Sand Snakes are going to be there.
And Oberyns brother

Also Bronn's wife and some guy named Yezzan
Wait wait is this a real thing somewhere, like have they release casting already? Or are you just saying stuff?

EpicVakarian

They have casting information. Not who's been casted, just who they're trying to cast.
The Sand Snakes are Oberyn's bastard daughters, and Oberyn's brother is Prince Doran, the leader of Dorne. Judging by the amount of Dornish characters involved, I would assume Arianne and Trystane Martell will be involved as well, and possibly Quentyn, depending on how they pace it.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
They have casting information. Not who's been casted, just who they're trying to cast.
The Sand Snakes are Oberyn's bastard daughters, and Oberyn's brother is Prince Doran, the leader of Dorne. Judging by the amount of Dornish characters involved, I would assume Arianne and Trystane Martell will be involved as well, and possibly Quentyn, depending on how they pace it.

Quentyn has to be in season five. They can't stretch Dany's already fairly sparse storyline out an entire season to hold off on bringing Quentyn in until season six. Especially since the other Dornish will be introduced next season; it doesn't make sense not to include Quentyn, even if he doesn't show up until halfway through.

The more uncertain question is whether or not they'll bring the Ironborn storyline in. Since they didn't even mention Balon's death this season, I hope that means they're saving the entire Kingsmoot thing for season five.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee

Well, like Cat said to me before the hissy fit argument we had (referring to the argument, not the person), she said it has spoilers and to not look at it on the day the episode come out. So I'd say don't go on this thread until you're up to date.

But I do normally give it a 24 hours before saying anything on the episode.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
Wow, now who's spoilering?
Stoneheart isn't a spoiler. You wouldn't know what Epic meant until you seen it, even a member of the cast referenced stoneheart.

That's like me talking about spiderman and saying "Bridge."
It's too ambiguous for anyone to know, unless they already do know.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts