• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Without sounding ridiculous, one of the best ways to be harder to kill is to make a conscious effort not to get hit :p

+ Obvious Points, I know, but my point remains

Evasion, evasion, evasion...

I'm with you. Since we got a little sidetracked with Apocrypha I'll use Lurkers as an example. They shamble like they have a gimp when chasing you. They raise their foot so slowly to stomp that you can easily run past and get behind them or just run farther away.

I do agree with evasion but when you're constantly running away from a fight, it takes the immersion aspect away from the game, i prefer a more tactical approach to fighting rather than simply running away, each to their own but i think it makes gameplay quite tedious when you're constantly on the run.
Not if you're RPing a coward! :)

Daelon DuLac

Evasion, evasion, evasion...

I'm with you. Since we got a little sidetracked with Apocrypha I'll use Lurkers as an example. They shamble like they have a gimp when chasing you. They raise their foot so slowly to stomp that you can easily run past and get behind them or just run farther away.

I do agree with evasion but when you're constantly running away from a fight, it takes the immersion aspect away from the game, i prefer a more tactical approach to fighting rather than simply running away, each to their own but i think it makes gameplay quite tedious when you're constantly on the run.
Not if you're RPing a coward! :)
I actually have a build like that and he's a lot of fun. Lots of illusion and alteration, running and jumping and never be without your ethereal, kyne's peace and disarm shouts! (oh and whirlwind makes for a quick escape as well!). Thank goodness he isn't afraid of drauger or he'd never get any loot. :)

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
If you are running light, you should rarely get hit by a two-handed weapon unless you get cornered or hung up on something.

Daelon DuLac

If you are running light, you should rarely get hit by a two-handed weapon unless you get cornered or hung up on something.
Or stand there and take it while your spell is preparing (that's me!). Is it any wonder I always up my health so much. :)

Nighthiker77

I was just pointing out that if your build relies heavily on a follower, you won't have them there. And Miraak is the biggest challenge I've run into in the vanilla game. I have fought that Karstaag guy or the Ebony Warrior yet though, and shock resistance might have made it dramatically easier. Still best fight ever so far.

Daelon DuLac

I was just pointing out that if your build relies heavily on a follower, you won't have them there. And Miraak is the biggest challenge I've run into in the vanilla game. I have fought that Karstaag guy or the Ebony Warrior yet though, and shock resistance might have made it dramatically easier. Still best fight ever so far.
It actually kind of bored me. While he was irritating (what with all his self healing and teleporting). Maybe I shouldn't kill all the dragons first or something or take lesser weapons with me. Hit - Hide, Hit - Hide, Hit - Hide, it got a little tedious as he's so predicatible.

LotusEater

Or stand there and take it while your spell is preparing (that's me!). Is it any wonder I always up my health so much. :)

There's that too... :)

Nighthiker77

I agree, Miraak is tough as nails with a legitimate build. He's my favorite duel by far. I won't spoil Karstaag but he has a couple tricks up his sleeve that make him a nice challenge, but still not as difficult as Miraak imo.

Daelon DuLac

Nighthiker77

I agree, Miraak is tough as nails with a legitimate build. He's my favorite duel by far. I won't spoil Karstaag but he has a couple tricks up his sleeve that make him a nice challenge, but still not as difficult Miraak.
I have never done Kaarstag so I've got something to look forward to. Never done the Ebony Warrior either. Can't seem to make it to level 80 without getting bored (at 60 now and growing bored with my battle mage).

LotusEater

Nighthiker77

I agree, Miraak is tough as nails with a legitimate build. He's my favorite duel by far. I won't spoil Karstaag but he has a couple tricks up his sleeve that make him a nice challenge, but still not as difficult Miraak.
I have never done Kaarstag so I've got something to look forward to. Never done the Ebony Warrior either. Can't seem to make it to level 80 without getting bored (at 60 now and growing bored with my battle mage).

Ya, I fought the Ebony Warrior waaaaaaaaaay back... once. That was a broken build too, so it was too easy. Since then I haven't been able to stick with a build long enough to hit lv81. My current build, at lv62, has the best chance yet since he hasn't even started Diplomatic Immunity yet and has yet to join a single faction save Dawnguard and the College. I'm still way early in the College line too, Tofu is still staring at the Orb in Sarthaal. Wonder is he's bored yet. He's been there for months.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Not sure if anyone suggested it. Alteration (for natural magic resist and active armor) and Restoration (The spell that when your health gets bellow 10% or something heals you for a decent chunk of health)

For gear and enchantments heavy armor and until you are high enough level not to need it Steed Stone. Lets you keep that mobility as well. Those are the only real late game choices since race would also be important.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Ways to be harder to kill WITHOUT A/E/S and not much armour ay?
Hmmm sounds like a challange to me :cowboy:

Well 1st of all your gonna need to use a bit of alteration magic for the magic armour spells and also the perks in magic resist.
I would also suggest the Lord stone.
Get the Agent of Mara passive ability from Riften.

With those (and the difficulty on adept or less) mages really shuldnt bother you that much. Now for physical damage reduction.

i highly recommend getting a shield! shield of ysgramor and spellbreaker are fantastic.
illusion magic is very helpful at turning your enemies against each other and turning them away from you.
if you like the ebony armour so much and dont mind working with deadra, the boethiah mission gives you a sweet ebony mail piece that has a great enchantment.

pretty much everything else i agree with other people, absorb health weapons, evasion, followers, conjure tanks.

Have fun with the build :D !!

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
I like the Squirrel_Killer's guide. (the ultimate game breaking defense one) If you're not running any mods that alters spells and perks like SkyRe.... necromage vampire.... getting necromage (restoration right?) as a vampire and then the atronach perk (alteration?) and then the atronach stone (all in that order according to the UESP guide, otherwise you'll not get the full bonus) == 100% permanent spell absorption. Then go with light armor (up to dragonscale) with of course your choice of 100% <that school> cost reduction. I think You might even fit in 2 schools if you enchant enough items, not sure what items though. Become Ethereal and dragonhide (with proper perks and dual casting would help grant you additional defense, well.. you can read the whole guide

http://skyrimforum.com/threads/squirrel_killers-ultimate-guide-to-game-breaking-defense.21541/

But if you don't feel like going that ultimate defense route, I would recommend a necromage vampire anyways just because that perk alone grants you so many bonuses to everything... your current spells you use, your crafting (alchemy, enchanting, smithing)... should think about it is all :)

Note: The guide wasn't actually specific if getting the atronach stone or perk first would affect it, I just assumed it would be in this order, but necromage must be taken first for it to work if you go this route

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I like the Squirrel_Killer's guide. (the ultimate game breaking defense one) If you're not running any mods that alters spells and perks like SkyRe.... necromage vampire.... getting necromage (restoration right?) as a vampire and then the atronach perk (alteration?) and then the atronach stone (all in that order according to the UESP guide, otherwise you'll not get the full bonus) == 100% permanent spell absorption. Then go with light armor (up to dragonscale) with of course your choice of 100% <that school> cost reduction. I think You might even fit in 2 schools if you enchant enough items, not sure what items though. Become Ethereal and dragonhide (with proper perks and dual casting would help grant you additional defense, well.. you can read the whole guide

http://skyrimforum.com/threads/squirrel_killers-ultimate-guide-to-game-breaking-defense.21541/

But if you don't feel like going that ultimate defense route, I would recommend a necromage vampire anyways just because that perk alone grants you so many bonuses to everything... your current spells you use, your crafting (alchemy, enchanting, smithing)... should think about it is all :)

Note: The guide wasn't actually specific if getting the atronach stone or perk first would affect it, I just assumed it would be in this order, but necromage must be taken first for it to work if you go this route

i like your ideas :D was gonna mention them as well but not every1 wants to be a necromage vamp. 100% spell absorbtion is by far one of the best defenses but it does take a sort of devotion and way of life. as a necro vamp myself i highly reccomend it but its not for everyone.

just to clear it up, it goes vampire 1st, necromage perk 2nd and than the rest of the perks and stones. MUST be in that order or it wont work. fyi the super armour you make whilst being a necro vamp carry on once you cure yourself.

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
okay I was right in thinking it was in that order then, good. (haven't done it yet myself. I'm finding it a pain getting alteration and restoration up being a non caster >.>) heh And I didn't know that about the armor thing though that's pretty neat to know....... but why would I cure myself? :p Vamps rule <3

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Yep, your best bet is to become an archer, where nothing actually hits you. But when you get tired of your no-enchanting rule, you might try making sets of jewelry: Ring, Necklace, Circlet, each with the same enchantments. One set for resist fire, one set for resist frost, one set resist shock, and so on. As your enchantment skills grow, these things used together make you virtually invincible.