• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Fanfic Novel or Diary Format?

• Total voters

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
messy-desk-cartoon-image.jpg

So this is more for myself than anyone else (although feel free to add input if you so wish to), and I'm basically just structuring and brainstorming ideas for a Fanfic or Character Dairy that I may start. Like the title says, things are probably going to get messy around here :cool:

100% set in concrete ideas -
  • Character is GroBenjii. Male Orsimer. Champion Stronghold fighter turned Dawnguard Artifact Retrieval Expert (D.A.R.E).
  • So far thats all my 100% set-in-concrete ideas...:confused: (plops I thought I had more than that)
Other ideas floating around (story related) -
  • Starts out in Mor Khazgur (birthplace of Benjii)
  • Visits other Strongholds on a pilgrimage of sorts
  • Returns to Mor Khazgur, meets future wife (Borgakh the Steel Heart)
  • Gets involved with the Markarth Conspiracy
  • Becomes Thane... (not necessarily purchase house)
  • Some sort of twist involving vampires occurs. (chief 'M' got abducted in my game... perhaps work that into story as a good motivator. Abducting a Chief out of stronghold isnt easy... perhaps the vampires are part of the Volkihor Clan)
  • Considering NOT having Serana in the story... Or only giving her a small part... just like in my game.
  • In vein Benjii and Borgakh try to take on vampires. Realise it is not going to be easy. Makes a deal with the Daedric Prince Meridia to gain Dawnbreaker.
  • Discovers faction of Vampire Hunters, joins up
  • Proves worth and discovers the Volkihor Clan
  • Realising the enormity of the situation, Benjii delves into restoration magic and sets out on missions for the Dawnguard to bolster their firepower and effectiveness
  • Does Benjii go2 college to learn more about restoration and enchanting??
  • A simple mission in Dawnstar goes horribly wrong (Benjii must atone)
Ideas about writing style -
  • Perhaps have it as a FanFic with Diary entries being a big part of story (will have to do a practice run to see if it will work)
  • Journal entries may have a few spelling/grammar faults, as if they were written by an Orc
Sips spiked coffee...pondering... starts to google random internet sites...
http://www.pic4ever.com/index.php

There are many side missions in between these points and as they come to mind I will edit them in...

If you would like to get something to me, please leave it my In Tray. If its urgent, leave a Sticky Note on my computer screen. I may or may not get back to you either way though... Oh, I am going to put a poll on this whether I should do this as a Diary or a Fanfic novel. It probably wont influence me too much but I am interested to know :p

Wow this is stressful...
www_MyEmoticons_com__smokelots.gif
... and I dont even smoke...

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
This is so far, the clean side of my desk. It probably wont last like this for to long though...

Mk time to start filling this empty space up with some hopefully useful bits of information.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Orsimer

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Meridia

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Orc_Strongholds

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dawnguard_(faction)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Ghorbash_the_Iron_Hand

(Ghorbash the Iron Hand is a friend of Benjii's from childhood. they lost touch when Ghorbash went to the Legion. Become an Imperial is an idea for Benjii later in the story)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dawnbreaker_(Skyrim)

...will have to revise Benjii's CC to make his weapons more Skyrim friendly maybe?

My new desk toy... it helps me think... or something, thanks Melee for showing me :D (you have to click on it to start it... go on click it!)

tumblr_n3eu7xVaBE1s5rsdao1_500.gif

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Sits on side of desk, hitching up skirt, leans over and swings one stiletto-ed foot. Flutters eyelashes...
"Hi" I say in a breathy voice...

Well I think if you write the fanfic or diary entry with your charm and humor then it would certainly make for a good read AND you will enjoy writing it, instead of it being a chore. I think you should stick with what you know, and the ideas you have, including going to other parts of Tamriel are very good. Benjii is a great character and you already have solid foundations upon which to build up a very believable, likable, readable story. Personally I think you should try Fanfic, but if you don't want to jump into the deep end head first then start small with Diary entries. You can always copy/paste them into the fanfic section later.

I know you can write well, don't over-think it, just type! Keep your personality and your witt in your writing and you can't go wrong. If you're not like me who can type on the fly, then open up a word doc and write a note on each chapter as to what you want to happen within that chapter.

I have every confidence in you, I know you can do it.

Places coffee on desk and sashays off, swinging hips.

AS88

Staff member
*Mid-management guy from other department strolls past water cooler and notices swinging hips in distance*

*Notices desk and makes unnecessary comment*

"Hey man, nice desk. This sounds similar to a character of mine with the Orc Dawnguard and Ghorbash stuff. Good luck, we'll have to compare when I get the time to finish mine and actually do something with it."

*Considers swinging hips as walks off and gets back to whatever he does on a daily basis*

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Ok Now I have worked out how to change font, I now have to choose GroBenjii's handwriting. This will be a big factor in the Fic so it must be easy to read and also fitting to Benjii's character. I have nailed it down to 3 choices and if anyone is there, feel free to comment...

1. This is Segoe Script (I'm not sure I should be publicly showing everyone this actually... meh). ! ? WHAT A PUNY WEAKLING!!

2. This little beauty is what I like to call Bradley Hand. Actually, I didnt name it.. but you get the idea. I may have to write it in bold though as its very thin. MEASLY MILK DRINKER ! ? !

3. Kristen ITC. It may sound like a pretty name for a font, but she looks fit for an Orc! WHAT DO YOU RECKON ! ?

Cross my fingers this all worked out...

AS88

Staff member
1) or 3). 1) if he's educated, 3) if not.

2) is way too hard to read, in my opinion.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
My $0.02:

If you have a plot in mind - a full story arc with a beginning, middle, and end - write a fanfic. If you just want to have GroBenjii go on various adventures and get up to some madcap hijinx, write a diary. If you start with the latter, and later either come up with a plot or find that you've naturally written yourself into one, you can easily turn the journal into a fanfic.

Whatever you end up doing, I look forward to it! I'm still chuckling at GroBenjii's moral challenge with the vampires that turned into a bloodbath.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
My $0.02: ...

Do you mean a diary on my blog (I haven't used my blog yet) or a diary, but in the FanFic section?

I was thinking of having it as a FanFic with a journal entry every post or something like that...

I'm thinking I should have it structured somewhat. It will be roughly based on how I have played my character, but I played him with this idea in mind. Also it will exclude a LOT of ordinary Skyrim stuff (eg. Dragons/maybe civil war even).

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Do you mean a diary on my blog (I haven't used my blog yet) or a diary, but in the FanFic section?

Blog, I guess? I haven't read any blogs so I don't know how they're typically formatted or if that format would work for you. I do know the forum rule is that character journals go I the blog section. Now if it was more fictionalized, but in diary-format (e.g. Bridget Jones's Diary), it would belong in the fanfic section. Again, it depends on how you write it. A story goes in fanfic, a narration of things your character does in-game would go in blogs.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Sashays past, places Iced doughnut on Imans desk, stops and peers at font...

About the font. You don't have to use the limited font on this site. If you write your chapter in WORD, then chose a font from there that you like for Benjii's writing and then when you copy and past it, the font will paste with it. Simples!

Leaves doughnut for Iman and continues on, throwing seductive wink over shoulder...

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Stuffs face full of donuts

uh huh... nods
uh huh... nods
uh huh... nods

As you may have noticed young Kitty, these fonts are not from this website :) But instead of writing it in word than copy/pasting, I have just used a forum font code to change it to a chosen font. I may still use Word, but you don't actually need to as long as you know the name of the font (it looks similar to changing colour in the Sb). Oh, and no, it doesn't work in the Sb...

Wow, she sure can sashay like a pro that woman :eek:

Btw guys, thanks for your input! this is such a nice office environment. Group Hug
grouphug.gif

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
About the font. You don't have to use the limited font on this site. If you write your chapter in WORD, then chose a font from there that you like for Benjii's writing and then when you copy and past it, the font will paste with it. Simples!

Word of warning about this, though: the font will only be displayed for other people if they also have that font installed on their computer. If not, it will appear as a default serif or sans-serif font (depending on what font you had used). If you do choose your own font, stick with something that's common, preferably one that came installed with Windows, or else you're likely to be the only one who actually sees it.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Also, driveby software recommendation: Scrivener. A bazillion times superior to any other word processor, especially Word. It is the organized writer's dream come true. I won't rave on about it right now (because I could do that for hours), but if it's something you might be interested in, let me know and I'll tell you a bit about its awesome features.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Also, driveby software recommendation: Scrivener. A bazillion times superior to any other word processor, especially Word. It is the organized writer's dream come true. I won't rave on about it right now (because I could do that for hours), but if it's something you might be interested in, let me know and I'll tell you a bit about its awesome features.

Pfft, do I look like an organized writer to you :p But sure you can share some info. Dare I click on the link :eek: ?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts