OOC Sins of our Elders [[Accepting Applications]]

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Therin

I understand that she was the founder of the RP, but she hasn't contributed in four months...literally, last year. There has to be a statute of limitations to progress without her. I don't particularly care either way--I'm not even in this RP--but it just seems silly to me to keep waiting for an undetermined amount of time when everyone else wants to push forward.

Kir the Silent

Until Your Flesh Is Consumed
    As the founder, Andraste already has a story line in mind. Since she hasn't divulged to us what direction this rp is headed in, it would be unfair to move forward and create a bastardized version of what she had in mind. For example; how would you feel if you had worked for weeks on a roleplay that you were extremely excited about and had worked very hard o, but due to circumstance, you were forced to leave for a period of time. Would you be happy if the others involved left you behind and created a twisted version of the vision you had in mind? Effectively destroying and taking away control of your creation? I think not. I think most people would be pissed. And as you said you aren't even involved. I think I speak for most of the people involved when I say we have the patience and grace to wait, especially since only Uther and I are the only ones who cannot post at the moment. No one else is.

Rayven

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    For those who are stuck in the conversation, this may be an opportunity to try out Uthy's idea of having multiple character interactions. I've not read through the IC thread yet, but for those of you already accepted into this story, is it possible to make a secondary character that might be able to join up with the guys who are not stuck?

Kir the Silent

Technically I am controlling a secondary character to introduce my main one, however as my main character is far away I was thinking of writing about his everyday life hiding deep in Falkreath. Perhaps killing a few Thalmor who have come looking for him. He is a Thalmor traitor after all.

Rayven

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    That could be a good start. I like the idea.

And we know rizen is pushing forward too. Ashleigh is with rizen? Would that just leave Uthy in limbo?

Kir the Silent

Perhaps, but I believe he said he was fine with waiting.

A.Auditore

maybe...
    That could be a good start. I like the idea.

And we know rizen is pushing forward too. Ashleigh is with rizen? Would that just leave Uthy in limbo?
    I am by myself outside of the place... Running running from crazied orc raid...

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    My character is currently alone at the moment but Znow, Rizen, and I all planned on having our characters meet up before going to where Uther and Dante's characters are. I think that will allow us to go through some interactions and keep us occupied. :)

Therin

My suggestion to unstick those trapped in conversation would be to post something like:

[Andante's character] was about to reply, but all of a sudden the door burst open and a soldier walked inside.

"Captain, something has happened further in the tunnels, and you're needed."

With an exasperated sigh, [Andante's character] says, "I have to see to this matter. We'll talk about this later."

And she leaves the room.
    -----------------------------
    It doesn't change the story, and it doesn' make Andante's character do anything unrealistic, but also allows all players to continue the story.

Kir, to answer your question of: "...how would you feel if you had worked for weeks on a roleplay that you were extremely excited about and had worked very hard o, but due to circumstance, you were forced to leave for a period of time. Would you be happy if the others involved left you behind and created a twisted version of the vision you had in mind? Effectively destroying and taking away control of your creation? I think not."

You think wrong. First of all, by inviting other people to contribute to my roleplay, I am inherently giving up some of my autonomy in controlling the story. If I wanted to have ultimate control over my story, then I would've written the whole thing and it would be a fanfiction. By inviting other roleplayers, I'm saying, "Here's what I have planned, but bring your own characters and share your own ideas, and hopefully your contributions will make it even better than what I can come up with alone".

If I had left my roleplay four months ago, and haven't updated anyone on the status of my return, then I would not only expect, but I would want people to continue on without me. This "twisted" version may actually be better than what I had planned, or it may be worse. But, it would have, at least, been written. The last thing I would want is for my roleplay to die uncerimoniously for lack of my attendance. And if I came back a year down the road, and the story had been written, and it wasn't what I wanted, then I would understand and start over.

If I started a roleplay, my main goal would be for everyone to have fun. If its not being written, then no one is having fun, and my roleplay was ultimately for naught.

That's just my opinion, anyway.

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    Guys, we appreciate all of the feedback you left, but I don't want any arguments to start in this thread. I think the decision that a lot of people are coming to is that we will continue however we can (since most of us have planned interaction with other character's before reaching the camp) without involving Andante's character, but will ultimately wait for her return before we move on to something that requires her to be here. :)

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    I reckon there isn't all that much complication with the story at the moment.
    The one's locked into a freeze, Kir and Uther, have both mentioned being ok waiting for Andante to return . The remainder of us, are still able to write up to all of the characters meeting, which by the looks of it, is still a fair distance away - That's pretty much where the main plot kicks in anyway. I don't see the problem there.
    Later on, if Andante is unable to return because of some unforeseen reason, then it's worth considering Therin's advice, after all, its advice that you can tell has been thought out..However, the only thing standing out for me is the waiting time that has drawn out for the applicants, I mean, it's still a well written RP and applicants are still interested after all this time! Perhaps that should be addressed?

Also, it's kinda nice to know that others (not involved) are interested in the status of this RP :D

Rayven

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    Given the circumstances of Andante's absence and the generosity of the participants of this story to find other means by which to involve themselves or work around the situation, I think this part of matter is pretty clearly closed.

I would not feel comfortable adding more people to the story myself. That would be up to Uthy since he seems to have been designated as a co-creator of the story. I'm confident Andante would support whatever decision he chose to make in this regard.

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    I've been re-reading the Rp and I got to thinking about the plotline thus far...and this is just a bit of brainstorming, but what if Kir was to assume the role of Dayash the tactician and rescue Melee's character from her situation, display some strategy skills with a rescue plan, then move on from there? I mean, the tactician is out there somewhere right? Could be anywhere...this frees up Kir to write with the secondary character still in place, this frees up Melee to write some advancement...and when her character meets with the others at Helgen, she could overhear something about the tactician and recall her meeting him to the others, this gives out a lead to follow.
    Everyone's thoughts? Just an idea I wanted to float.

Kir the Silent

Actually that doesn't sound half-bad. It would be up to melee of course, but I'm game if she is. I could always write up a post.

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    Sounds fine with me! I'm sorry if I'm absent for a while, I'm going through some stressful stuff right now so I might not work around to getting a post for a few days until everything is sorted out.

Kir the Silent

I understand, it will take me awhile to design and write up an appropriate post. So there's no rush. Take your time. I'll be busy trying to make a feasible and creative post.

Kir the Silent

I should have it up sometime tonight or in the morning.

Znowcicle

Chimera~
    Awesome that we all seem to agree to keep writing around our current restrictions. YAY FOR TEAMWORK! :)

Znowcicle

Chimera~
    I will get a post up, but my class is almost over today. I might have a U.I.L. competition tomorrow, if I do I will try to use my phone, but if I can't get it up tomorrow it'll be up Friday. Unless the meet is Friday, then it'll be up tomorrow. It'll be one of the next two days. XD

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts