• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I always just dress up in mah nocturnal armor, unless i face a tough enemy. Like on the World-eater's Eyrie, i switched my nocturnal armor for blades armor. Dual wield like a baws.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Bound daggers are available through mods only so far. I still don't understand why Bethesda didn't do the full weapon line as bound weapon though. It is not like it will create THAT more coding. Just the meshes...

If you want to play stealthy, avoid destruction spells... they are not very "discreet". Illusion is a must though, and it will save you some perks on the left side of the sneak tree: for me that side becomes obsolete as soon as you get muffle spell and invisibility.

Real stealthy character will also get away with 95% of the tight situation with Frenzy and Pacify spells.

Careful with minions, they are NOT stealthy whatsoever and you cannot control them like you control followers.

Armor are not really necessary. You can go clothes, you shouldn't be hit that often, mostly if you play an archer with bound bow.. I like to go armor, just to be able to reach the armor rating cap, just in case. I go Light Armor then.
Ah, thank you for the tips. You confirmed a lot of what I was thinking already while I was sort of planning the character out. I definitely decided to avoid destruction, main conjuration and illusion. I intend on becoming a Vampire Lord, too, so that should help. You've got me wondering about sneak. It sounds like battling with conjuration defeats the whole idea of stealth. This is all such a departure from my typical characters, I feel like I'm going to embarking on a totally new game.

I guess you shouldn't pick a favorite combat style until you've tried them all.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
War axe and shield is probably my all time favorite. But I am having a lot of fun with my current pyro/conjuration mage rebuild.

My usual plan of attack is. Summon flame antronoch(decoy), summon bound bow, create as arrow to face victims as possible, then use flames for the close quarters stuff. And I will duel wield war axes if I run out of magika.

I am thinking about switching to frost magic though to somewhat offset how powerful the Bound Bow is.

YOU were the first one to miss my sarcasm in my first post. So I'd shut up if I were you.

Actually I did catch your sarcasm, which is why I refuted your ignorant statement.
And since several people after me agreed that not "everyone is a sneak/thief with archery", I don't think I should shut up. Just accept that you were wrong and we can move on.

Valyn

Actually I did catch your sarcasm, which is why I refuted your ignorant statement.
And since several people after me agreed that not "everyone is a sneak/thief with archery", I don't think I should shut up. Just accept that you were wrong and we can move on.
Well, you didn't have to freak out over my obviously joking comment, and if you really did see my sarcasm, you wouldn't have gotten so angry.

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
Been itching to make a new character since it's about time to retire the old Orc. I've done an Imperial thief (thought the powers of finding more gold and being able to calm hostiles were fitting for a thief and killing was only done when it was necessary) and an Orc heavy armored sword (er axe) and board warrior.

I'm thinking of a new mage character, but primarily combining sneak with destruction. I've already heard spells don't get any sneak attack bonus, but sneaking through dungeons using destruction runes sounds like it would be fun. Haha, seems like all enemies pace on a predetermined path, just sneak in and put runes in their path and sit back and watch em burn. I plan on just wearing robes, the only thing I'm worried about is being squishy when enemies inevitably get up and close and personal, but I guess that's just one of the drawbacks of the build, it'd be boring to be invincible and why i scrap high level characters in the first place. Just wondering what race to be, I know Breton's have the best defensive passive skill, but I was wondering what other people think makes for an evil-stick-to-the-shadows type of mage....dark elf?

ShadowGambit

Dark elves are pretty good with their destruction, illusion, alteration and sneak bonus.

Their racial ability will help you a little also in close combat, but it is rather weak at high level/difficulty though.

For a sneaky caster, focus on Illusion. Invisibility and Muffle are great, some would even say overpowered for invisibility. Quiet casting perk is a must.

Frenzy and Pacify will let you get away nearly unarmed in tight situations.

Cast frenzy first, so your enemies fight between themselves. Backpedal. On those who keep coming at you, cast Pacify. Then cast Invisibility and you should be safe.

Also, with destruction spells, cast them then cast Invisibility right away and move from your spot. Enemy will go look at the spot you WERE... so now from your new spot, you can recast destruction spells and rinse/repeat.

As you can see, no real need for armor or weapons. If you like, then go Conjuration. Atronach will take the aggro from you and get the Bound sword as back-up... just in case. But as I don't think you will invest in One-handed much, your bound sword won't do much damage (better than most normal sword though).

J

Jeremius

for me i guess it depends on the type of character i play
  1. heavy armored warrior-likely a 2h in heavy armor (nord Dawnguard War hammer once DLC comes out for PC, Dunmer Great Sword)
  2. roguish hero-dual wield and bow balance
  3. Mage-Master of combat magic