• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

did you pirate skyrim?

• Total voters

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Oblivion was a game I actually bought, CD copy. Very rare for me, I wouldn't say I'm an avid pirateer but I do do it. I pirated Skyrim at first because I was broke at the time but a month after launch, I bought it as soon as I could. I'm not ignorant and try to rationalize its not stealing however, I know exactly what I'm doing when I do it. I will, however, always buy games if I thoroughly enjoy them and they have alot of playability. Max Payne 3, GTA series are just a couple off the top of my head that I bought on launch. One game which I pirated before I bought was Medieval II: Total War because I was new to that type of game and didn't want to spend 50 bucks to end up not playing it ever again, turns out I loved it and then I bought it.

I know its stealing and I understand the opposition to it but games are just way too expensive nowadays for the content you get (most games, not all of course). The anti-DRM bullplops that comes with some games is ridiculous, and only makes you want to pirate it even more. GTA 4 was one of those games, it would only allow me to log into the game some of the time because Rockstar social club's servers were down. Couldn't even play SP, now why the fluff would I give them money if they are going to do that to me? (Even though I love Rockstar). Another instance I can recall was when my internet went down for a couple days and I wanted to play Splinter Cell: Conviction, nope sorry, all saved games are stored on Ubisofts online servers. Another issue I had with Ubisoft was I couldn't play FC3 SP because their servers were down, it only happened once but thats still more then enough. Its things like this that turn me away from purchasing games, but I truly will if I see that it is worth it. Look at the game Aliens that just came out, they faked the demo and fluffed over alot of people who pre-ordered it based on what they saw.

I don't agree with all the hate that pirates get, but the ones who constantly just pirate and don't buy anything are hurting everyone else when companies have to come up with ways to stop it. Companies are still making millions off their games, so the lack of money isn't really an issue, the issue is they could be making more. I still think that a game shouldn't cost 60-70 bucks though for 6-9 hours, its too much considering that adds up. Usually I'll wait for Steam sales or for a game like Skyrim or GTA or I'll buy new because I know I will be infront of my computer playing that game for days on end.

Skyrim sold something like 10 million worldwide so I think Bethesda will be okay either way. I don't think pirates really hurt the industry all that much, its the publishers that are the ones looking to take advantage of consumers and squeeze out as much as possible from them.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
I REFUSE to buy an expensive software without having a good feel for it. If gaming companies like Bethesda Softworks are too damn lazy to release a demo version .... well then I'm too lazy to reach inside my pocket, and take out my wallet with my credit card stuffed inside (since then I've purchased the legal version of Skyrim including 2 DLCs). In fact companies like Bethesda encourages people to pirate their games. Look how many complaints this company has regarding to unplayable bugs and glitches. Do your research. Look how Bethesda forces people to download an adware third party software (Steam) just to play their games. I remember back when I had the pirated version of Skyrim I could play the game without being bothered by the annoying ads from Steam.

Getting involved with Steam was a terrible thing to do.

Bethesda Softworks and other gaming companies are NOWHERE near hurting for money due to pirating. In fact it provides them with even more business.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I REFUSE to buy an expensive software without having a good feel for it. If gaming companies like Bethesda Softworks are too damn lazy to release a demo version .... well then I'm too lazy to reach inside my pocket, and take out my wallet with my credit card stuffed inside (since then I've purchased the legal version of Skyrim including 2 DLCs). In fact companies like Bethesda encourages people to pirate their games. Look how many complaints this company has regarding to unplayable bugs and glitches. Do your research. Look how Bethesda forces people to download an adware third party software (Steam) just to play their games. I remember back when I had the pirated version of Skyrim I could play the game without being bothered by the annoying ads from Steam.

Getting involved with Steam was a terrible thing to do.

Steam is probably the best thing to happen to PC gaming. Far from being adware, it encourages devs to put more time into the PC and not too mention the deals they have which you most likely won't find in a store. Automatic updates/announcements are another reason why I love it. I don't know what ads you are talking about either, I've never even seen one to begin with. The Steamwork shop ain't so bad either.

I brought the game because it is reasonably priced in Canada.
A lot of people try to justify themselves when they pirate something, but, no amount of "Reasons" can warrant why you would pirate it, because the end result of it is your self gain at the lost of the other, which, is essentially stealing. Even saying you already got it on one platform doesn't mean you can pirate it on another, because you are cheating programmers that ported the game of their labor. Ethically speaking, one can only do an immoral thing to achieve an justify result, and even then, the process of the act must be done as humanly as possible. This means that the only situation that allows you to pirate the game is if the it is not available in your country.
I admit, I do pirate from time to time, but I do not try to justify my actions, I know it is selfish.

And for those that think that their money can be better used else where, I completely agree with you, just don't pirate the game.

I don't enjoy judging other people, but you pirates are the reason I have to put up with all the DRMs, and that, can never be forgiven.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Steam is probably the best thing to happen to PC gaming. Far from being adware, it encourages devs to put more time into the PC and not too mention the deals they have which you most likely won't find in a store. Automatic updates/announcements are another reason why I love it. I don't know what ads you are talking about either, I've never even seen one to begin with. The Steamwork shop ain't so bad either.

I think Steam is terrible. I don't like the Automatic updates and announcements. If I wanted to read any new announcements I would go to their website :) If I wanted to update my game with all the necessary patches and addons I could download either from direct or torrent the .exe file from their website. It takes forever to download things from Steam.

I call it an adware because the damn software keeps begging me to buy this and buy that whenever I decided that I'm finish playing the game. It keeps showing me discounts of games that I have no desire to buy. It gets annoying after awhile.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I think Steam is terrible. I don't like the Automatic updates and announcements. If I wanted to read any new announcements I would go to their website :) If I wanted to update my game with all the necessary patches and addons I could download either from direct or torrent the .exe file from their website. It takes forever to download things from Steam.

I would much prefer something to automatically update for me then to spend extra time tracking down patches, if I even remember to check for updates for a game. As for downloading from Steam, I don't really know what you are talking about because it downloads super fast for me, generally faster then those sites for patches and what not. Maybe your internet is the issue or you've selected the wrong server on steam.

I call it an adware because the damn software keeps begging me to buy this and buy that whenever I decided that I'm finish playing the game. It keeps showing me discounts of games that I have no desire to buy. It gets annoying after awhile.

One thing is ignore it, and just wait for a Steam sale that you would consider. If you are talking about the pop-up that comes up with new releases/discounts, you can simply turn that off. If you are on the Store part of Steam and you complain about how they want you to buy things, well that's just your own damn fault. Do you freak out the same way when you go to a store and see a bunch of sale signs up too?

Nighthiker77

All you "Try it first" people realize you can rent it right? If i thought I could kill a game in 9 hours I'd just rent it on a weekend. I probably have 400 hours in skyrim, and after buying it on PS3 and PC with all the DLCs, that's still only around 30 cents an hour, with half of dawn guard and all of dragonborn yet to explore. Besides a real walk through the woods, it's the least expensive entertainment out there

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
All you "Try it first" people realize you can rent it right? If i thought I could kill a game in 9 hours I'd just rent it on a weekend. I probably have 400 hours in skyrim, and after buying it on PS3 and PC with all the DLCs, that's still only around 30 cents an hour, with half of dawn guard and all of dragonborn yet to explore. Besides a real walk through the woods, it's the least expensive entertainment out there

You realize you can't rent games on PC because they each have a cd-key, right? I know of attempts and ideas to make it happen, but none that actually worked.

Dar'Neko

Qahnaarin
You know that the main deterring factor for piracy is that the devs are less inclined to produce games if they're not making any money? Well they aren't getting any money when you rent games. That goes straight to the company who rented it out and they keep a certain amount of copies, whereas places like Gamestop will restock as people buy it.

Nighthiker77

You know that the main deterring factor for piracy is that the devs are less inclined to produce games if they're not making any money? Well they aren't getting any money when you rent games. That goes straight to the company who rented it out and they keep a certain amount of copies, whereas places like Gamestop will restock as people buy it.

If you are naive enough to think that rental companies will buy them whether people rent them or not then you don't understand business. Renting is better than pirating, and renting then buying is even better than buying outright.

If somebody rents a game and is done with it in a few days, the rest of their money is better spent on more satisfying games to support better developers.

Reactions: Niq

Dar'Neko

Qahnaarin
If you are naive enough to think that rental companies will buy them whether people rent them or not then you don't understand business. Renting is better than pirating, and renting then buying is even better than buying outright.

If somebody rents a game and is done with it in a few days, the rest of their money is better spent on more satisfying games to support better developers.
I didn't say that rental companies would buy games without considering if they'd be rented or not, I am relating it to the matter at hand, which concerns money going to (in this case) Bethesda etc. I know what you're saying with it mattering only to the "Try it first" people.

Neveraine

BRINGER OF DEATH
I didn't pirate skyrim.
First, I didn't how to do so.
Second, I would be to afraid of getting caught in someway as I have the worst luck.
Third, I'm just not a person, who would do something illegal.
Finally, WHY did you post this on a forum for everyone to see, you are practically taunting the law and giving the middle finger to cops, so I hope for your sake that everyone just doesn't care or notices.

Jarrad

No, i paid for my copy as any fan of a game franchise should.
Unfortunatley my copy is on xbox as I cant afford a computer capable of running Skyrim.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I didn't pirate skyrim.
First, I didn't how to do so.
Second, I would be to afraid of getting caught in someway as I have the worst luck.
Third, I'm just not a person, who would do something illegal.
Finally, WHY did you post this on a forum for everyone to see, you are practically taunting the law and giving the middle finger to cops, so I hope for your sake that everyone just doesn't care or notices.

Lmfao, I think we'll be alright

Moris

I bought my copy of Oblivion. I loved it. I played it for hundreds of hours. So when Skyrim was released, I bought it at 12am, the moment it was available.

I had the money, and all my life I've worked a crappy job that pays crappy wages. I exist marginally above the poverty line. But I do know how to budget. If you can afford the machine to play the game, you can afford the game.

The only exception to that is if you play a lot of games. If you buy them all, you could, I guess, end up spending boatloads of money on utter crap. I've certainly blown a few dollars on games I never play that I wish I could have back. So being able to check them out ahead of time makes sense to me. However, this is what word of mouth is for, what internet research is for, what forums like this are for.

In the end, I'm not sure how many people really needed to check out an Elder Scrolls release before buying. If Skyrim was your first exposure to the ES series, I can see the try it before you buy it mentality as making some kind of sense. But really, you could also have bought Morrowind for like $5, too, and gotten a great game which by all accounts would only make playing Skyrim later all that much better.

If you're in a country where $60 is a week's wages, okay. I get that. But otherwise, suck it up. If you can't afford a videogame that you know you will enjoy, you have bigger issues, and probably need to spend all that game time working on ways to get out of poverty because pirating videogames is not solving your problems; it's just distracting you from them.

Andre2807

I bought Skyrim. Then downloaded a offline installer and crack. Here's why: Internet in South Africa is quite far behind. Especially where I am from my broadband speed is extremely slow and I have 2GB cap per month that. I pay roughly $16 per month (R150 per month for 2GB capped broadband) I cannot afford updating any of my games. The only Steam games I have is Skyrim and Metro 2033 and I refuse to update them, just so that I can play offline. So all I do is find a non steam installer.

I still buy games legitimately. Unfortunately, not all people live in 1st world countries with 10MB per second uncapped lines. Would I buy, and play Steam games on Steam if I had such a connection? Yes I would. That is why I, and many other people actually refuse to play any game that is on Steam or we buy the game and get a non steam installer.

Adam Belmont

I pirate all the games I play and you know why? Because I live in Brazil and here Skyrim is sold only for XBox and PS3 (I play on PC), the Xbox and Ps3 versions costs around $75,00.
Assassin's Creed 3 cost $24,00 in Amazon.com, here it costs $45,00
I think Skyrim (and a lot of other games) is worth buying, but I'll not pay almost $100,00 (the game cost + import taxes) to play a game. The game developers will have to excuse me for not buying their work but it's not their fault, it's my governments fault and I'll not pay 60% of taxes to play games, I already pay that to buy food, gasoline, a good speed connection and the lists go on.
I had to get this off my chest with people from another nationality.

mamali

well i'm in iran , and since iran government cuts off relationship with USA , USA gives no video games to iran , also steam doesn't support iran and there is no connection between iran and USA banks so i can't pay for games and download it online . so actually no original games available in here ...

ssoooooo all my games pirate .

but i would pay and buy the games if i could :sadface: believe me :).

Chadonraz

I got the game as a bonus when I bought my Xbox 360, so I downloaded it legally.
I have never pirated anything, and don't intend to do so either.

Oxslow

I purchased the game from my local computer game high street retailer, before they shut down they used to be really honest if you asked questions about the game and let you try a lot of the games before you purchased. Now I get everything online.

I think steam is 1 of the best DRM you can have on the pc because some times I think the DRM is punishing the people who buy the game the biggest problem with Steam is when you lose your internet unexpectedly and then steam wont work unless you put it in offline mode in advanced. I also like the way you can try certain games for free over the weekend on steam and if you like it you can by it at a discounted price normally.

I would like games to do is if you buy if for 1 platform is be able to download it for another for free because you have already purchased it. I know it happens in small companies I wish it would take off more.