• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

did you pirate skyrim?

• Total voters

BIGwooly

People just like you and me go to work every day just like you and me to work on making these games. When you pirate you decide to be selfish and benefit from their hard work without actually compensating them. Think it over.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Ask him if what you're doing is harmless.

I'm sure the cop would pass me a beer knowing that I've uninstalled the pirated version of the game, and went out and bought myself the game, and can provide proof of a receipt. I'm sure Bethesda would feel the same way since I've made the following purchase to them:

$53.40 For the PC version of the game
$16.99 For the Guidebook
Just now :) $19.99 For the PC version of Dawnguard

Do the math and see how much I've contributed to them :)

You don't have kids, but many of us do (or plan to). Everything I do is influential to them. If I'm there breaking laws, what kind of role model would I be?

You can't "sample" everything in life Raijin and then make amends by paying for it.

While I agree with you there... MY RL status is clean. I never went to jail before, and never had to face a judge. I think I would be a very good role model to my future children base on the fact that I'm not a convicted felon.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I would be a very good role model to my future children base on the fact that I'm not a convicted felon.
You're setting the bar really high there. :rolleyes:

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
... think I would be a very good role model to my future children base on the fact that I'm not a convicted felon.

Not yet.

Just FYI, though the chances of being caught/prosecuted are slim:

1. Copyright Infringement
    • The owner of copyrighted software may sue the infringer in a civil case or charge the violator with a criminal offense. Since the piracy of copyrighted software leads to huge monetary losses, a civil lawsuit usually requires that the infringer pay for all losses resulting from the distribution and/or illegal copying of the software and any profits the violator made from it.
    Civil Penalty
    • In the United States, the maximum civil penalty is $150,000 per infringement in a lawsuit for a copyright violation. This means that for every single program or work that was illegally copied and/or distributed, the infringer could have to pay $150,000. As you can imagine, a civil suit may cost a violator millions of dollars.
    Criminal Charges
    • On the other hand, piracy of software can be seen as a criminal act akin to stealing. In this case, the infringer can be charged with a criminal offense. In the United States, the maximum criminal penalty for copyright infringement is a fine of up to $250,000 and a jail sentence of up to five years. This involves damages that are both monetary and psychological. A prison record can seriously mar the life of any individual.
A fine like that would absolutely ruin my family. We would lose our house, my children's college funds, our retirement (mutual funds), as well as our automobiles. Can't imagine not being a part of my children's lives for 5 years either.

Even if you weren't fined the full 150/250k, if you were caught and taken to court, you would have to pay the software company's legal costs on top of any fines because face it, your "sampling" excuse doesn't hold water in a court of law, you WILL LOSE.

Is it really worth that $60 now?

Diisk

Oh, there's another rationale, right up there with "It's a victimless crime." If you buy stolen goods, you are helping support that criminal. If you recieve them for free, you're still an accessory, and legally liable. The law doesn't recognize these distinctions, it's still wrong.
if you had no knowledge of it being stolen, then there's no legal issues involved. And I'm done with this forum. You people just get too weird. Confusing rape with stealing a game...

Oh, but what if..? Somebody selling stuff on streetcorners should be a clue. "Hey buddy, want to buy a watch?" You pobably don't want to ask, but if the answer is "It fell off a truck" then guess what, it's probably stolen. Let me carry that example to it's natural conclusion. We're not talking about a pair of cheap sunglasses here, or a Faulex, but even if we were, if that sketchy legitimate businessman scratches off the letters, and puts on rhinestones to make it say Rolex, or Rayban, it's Fraud, and he will go to jail. If you buy that, knowing at least subconsciously that a $20 "rolex" from some guy's trenchcoat is either a forgery, or stolen to impress your friends with your wealth, you're lying to your friends, and possibly yourself, which is perpetuating the Fraud.

Not to mention, that has nothing to do with pirating software. Let me guess "I didn't know it was a pirated copy of Skyrim I downloaded free from the Pirate Bay!" You'll bend over backwards, and kiss your own ass if it will justify your actions, but me pointing out the similarities of rationale is a stretch?

Zappus

I pirated my copy first. I played up to level 67 on my character and greatly enjoyed the game. At that point I decided it was worth the money and got myself a full copy on steam. It was probably the best 60$ i spent on a game in 2011.

You get constant patches and updates that improve game performance. Added to that you support the developers for doing a good job( and the did a good job! This game is amazing! Giving me more fun than my swtor sub for sure). Bought Dawnguard the week it came out and getting full patched experience of a paying customer. In a way people who pirate miss out on it.

I can understand those who pirated though. Why pay for what you can get for free. Well fron first hand experience i can twll you that its not the same thing. Everyone should get such a masterpiece as skyrim.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
I got it for christmas, so no. I did not pirate Skyrim. Even if I wanted to, I would find a way to get caught.

Serebro Moniker

He who moves it moves it
Bought it. Anybody who pirates games is a thief, no more and no less. There is no justification for pirating, people worked hard on that game you just stole and they deserve to get paid.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
I just have one question. How is pirating the game any different than me smashing the window of a game stop and grabbing the game and running away? They're both stealing. Of course I paid for mine.

Bought it. Anybody who pirates games is a thief, no more and no less. There is no justification for pirating, people worked hard on that game you just stole and they deserve to get paid.
I agree, other than to say they already got paid by now. What makes a difference is, the more profit they get this game, the faster they can invest in the next ones.

The typical pirater, doesn't just steal Skyrim, play it for years, and leave it at that. You've already got the setup, no need to let it go to waste, amirite? So you get New Vagas, and ooh, look, a New Modern Warfare!.. This is incredibly common, so with all those guys, stealing all these games, it stacks up to a significant drain on the industry. It's not going to collapse, until everyone starts pirating, and they can only sell that first copy, but it's enough to delay work, and eventual release of expansions, and sequels.

And what about that guy they have to hire to add all those anti-piracy features? Instead of new spells, and weapons, and quests, and enemies, and correcting Bugs? You played Skyrim, and still want More? I'm sorry, but that's going to cost more money, and also take the time they wasted trying to make it more secure against guy like You.

So, if you pirated Skyrim, I hope you're not bitching about how long it's taking to release Dawnguard, or Hearthfire, or patching glitches that piss you off. That $60 would've gone a long way toward that, and the $45 for New Vagas, and that guy's contribution, and paying people to tighten up security... It all adds up, or it doesn't. I don't care what you do, just as long as you know, you're one of the people who's retarding the game industry.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
I've never thought of it that way Psiberserker but you're absolutely right. Here here!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
....it stacks up to a significant drain on the industry......
...and the industry ultimately passes that expense on to legitimate consumers in the form of higher retail prices for the games. This is what every business does to deal with breaches in loss prevention. We're subsidizing the costs for the recreational activities of the people who pirate games which is why it's not a victimless crime and further reason to dislike people who do this.