Quest The Forsworn - Skyrim's Third Civil War Faction

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Crashen

The Forsworn were definitely a missed opportunity, in a lot of ways. Yes, they sided with Hagravens, and empower their champions by cutting their hearts out and making them undead killing machines. But that always struck me as the actions of a desperate people, who were pushed to the very edge of extinction. Going further, who are the "Old Gods"? My take? The Reachmen (not just the forsworn) worship Daedra, not unlike the Dunmer. Specifically I am thinking Hircine and Namira. After all, Hagravens are closely tied to the Forsworn, and they (or at least the Glenmoril Coven) serve Hircine. Beyond that, Hagravens seem to share a lot of traits and characteristics that line up with Namira's Spheres, what with their hatred of 'pretty things' and general isolationist repulsiveness. Further, Namira is also the Daedric princess of the Lost, The Wretched and the Forgotten. Who does this sound like?

Building on that theme, I think the Forsworn would have been a much better 'host' for the Werewolf quest lines, rather than the companions. The werewolf story always felt kind of tacked on at the last minute, in an otherwise unremarkable guild. But if say, the Forsworn made a pact with the witches of Glenmoril and Hircine, to empower a few of the tribes with lycanthropy as a sort of secret weapon, it all falls into place much better. In fact, given the Forsworn's tendency towards guerrilla warfare and more individual agents and cells performing surprise attacks within the city, imagine the potential with werewolves. Rather than Weylin charging at Margret with a knife, killing her and then getting hacked to pieces, he shapeshifted into a werewolf and ripped her apart, and then cut a bloody swathe out of the city wreaking havok?

Keeping with that theme of guerrilla fighting, I don't think the Forsworn would be leading any armies to march on the enemy forts in the Civil War, the way the imperials and stormcloaks do. I think they would favor individuals (the main character) or small commando teams infiltrating and assassinating the leaders. Imagine if just such a team all had the stealth and subtlety of a Forsworn hunter, and the ferocity of a werewolf. Two or three Forsworn could sneak into a Stormcloak fort through one of the numerous un-guarded sewer entrances, and either split up for maximum chaos and confusion, or stay together for a concentrated attack, then turn into werewolves and clear out the keep. This fits their fighting style, and their more.... rag-tag make up, since I always got the feel that they were kind of scattered and didn't have the population or infrastructure to support a large, conventional army.

Also, to add on a few more points about Hircine and Namira: When asked about the coven, Eola states that it has been around for thousands of years, and it is not hard to imagine certain Forsworn tribes would be driven to cannibalism and dwelling with creepy-crawlies during hard winters and lean times. And as for Hircine, a fully garbed Forsworn male cuts a very striking image, very very similar to that of Hircines. Especially if you replace the body armor with the Savior's Hide. All of these aspects, while suppositions and speculation on my part, would allow the Forsworn and the Daedric Princes to mesh extremely well. We have the Huntsman and Father of Man-Beasts on one hand, and the Lady of the Forgotten on the other. This duality creates an interesting parallel to the Shor/Kynareth relationship, as well as syncing up nicely with the two major 'leader' types in Forsworn culture, the (male) Briarheart, and the (female) Hagraven.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Holy Necromancy, I had forgotten that I was watching this thread. Do you realize that you just brought a 6 month dead thread back to life? Not that I'm complaining, I love this thread, but damn that is forum necromancy at it's finest.

To respond to what you are going on: Namira and Hircine could very well be their Old Gods, especially Hircine, but I feel that Kyne(kynareth) also fits the forsworn culture rather well. Perhaps Shor and Kyne are also included in their worship.

As far as the population to lead an all out war with a proper army, yes, they do have it. All the folks that support the cause as well as the reachmen themselves and various other covens of hagravens? That would be one hell of an army lemme tell ya. Though their fighting style and tactics would lean more towards guerrilla warfare, they could fight toe to toe with any army that skyrim could raise.

-Mir-

Professional milk-drinker
Now that it's been bumped, great story! Good ideas! I am also curious as to how this would play out with the main quest and whole Dragonborn thing as well, like with Season Unending, or even becoming Dragonborn in the first place. When you pick Forsworn, who tells you to go warn the Jarl of Whiterun about dragons?

And also:
It is also speculated that the "Helgi" mentioned in the note in Anise's Cabin is actually supposed to be Hilde, Sven's mother in Riverwood.
OMG, I'm not the only one who thought this?! :D

Crashen

In my defence I was Googling around and just now came across this thread, read it, registered and plaster. Given the great quality and the interesting subject I figured it was worth reanimating.
As for population, they probably could field am army, but their fighting population is also their breeding population, and they are composed of disparate tribes with rather crude armor. On the other hand red eagle was able to unite and lead the tribes to drive out several legions when the empire was at full strength. So who knows. I just don't think they would need an army. As for shor and kyne that would actually be a cool pamlntheon, two aedra and two daedra .I could see that.

Not sure about the greater part in the civil war. The only chance I see for them to regain and keep the reach would be their original plan: take back markarth and petition to join the empire as a sovereign kingdom. Probably by giving the empire ulfrics head in a silver (teehee cidhna mine) platter.

feliciano182

Reachmen = Good people that deserve control over their land and culture.

Forsworn = Sociopaths.

Crashen

I wouldn't say the Forsworn are sociopaths. They obviously care about their families, tribes, and country-men. In fact, that's why they do what they do. As Madanach says "Our plight is our people's plight." I would say that they are extremists or even terrorists though, willing to do whatever it takes to regain the Reach.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The first Stormcloaks made them how they are. They were so close to having their own independent kingdom, even made the first attempts with the Empire to be recognized as such. Now they hate everyone.

Galen Red Eagle

I just read through all this and just had to sign up so I could comment

1. This is brilliant stuff, it's all really well thought out and just makes me wish that it actually was some sort of DLC for the game

2. The Reachmen/Forsworn are actually based on the Scottish, more specifically the Picts. like the Forsworn the Picts lived in the highlands of there country and fought a guerilla war against the Romans (Imperials) and the Anglo-Saxon Vikings (Stormcloaks). The Bretons are already packing an over all gallic/celtic theme and the Reachmen just make it even more so by using actual Pictish names for the characters. Also the Reachmen's Old Gods (including Hircne) have a lot in common with the Celtic Gods, where outsiders seen the gods as cruel and barbaric the Picts seen them as strong and wild like nature.

AS88

Staff member
So who's going to make this, then? :p
To respond to what you are going on: Namira and Hircine could very well be their Old Gods, especially Hircine, but I feel that Kyne(kynareth) also fits the forsworn culture rather well. Perhaps Shor and Kyne are also included in their worship.
Don't forget Dibella, after all they took the Sibil. It was strange that the large Dibella statute they had was covered in blood and snowberries, though. Maybe some sort of offering?

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
*bumps* I want to watch this.I play as a Breton and always thought I'd fit better with the Forsworn than Imperial/ Stormcloak.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Holy fricken thread necromancy guys! You realize that this thread had been dead for nearly 6 months when y'all resurrected it? On a side note, it's an awesome thread and should have been a mod or DLC. Still, HOLY HELLS

AS88

Staff member

zjane

I stumbled upon this post looking for Forsworn mods. After finding a few and being disappointed in them and then reading this, I signed up on this forum just to let MushroomGenius know that I am planning on working on a mod based on this work. I think this is an amazing story and that Bethesda should have intertwined the forsworn story into the main one a bit along these lines (not that I am knocking Bethesda for the awesomeness that is ES). So that is my aim. As of the moment, it is a personal project to learn how to use the Creation Kit (though I've done many other personal mods), and it will be done at my leisure because I am a full time video game programmer and have a family. With that said, and sorry to disappoint anyone in advance, this may never get finished.

Even though it is in a very, very early stage, I'm stating this publicly to be upfront, to see how much interest there still is, and to give the author due credit for the wonderful idea. IF (big if) this ever gets done (at least a fully playable state), it will be completely up to MushroomGenius whether or not it goes to Steam or Nexus or the like. That will be the same deal for handing it off to someone else if I do stop working on it before it is done. While what I intend to make will not be exactly what is written here, it will definitely be close enough that it would be wrong of me to make it public without the author's permission.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

I stumbled upon this post looking for Forsworn mods. After finding a few and being disappointed in them and then reading this, I signed up on this forum just to let MushroomGenius know that I am planning on working on a mod based on this work. I think this is an amazing story and that Bethesda should have intertwined the forsworn story into the main one a bit along these lines (not that I am knocking Bethesda for the awesomeness that is ES). So that is my aim. As of the moment, it is a personal project to learn how to use the Creation Kit (though I've done many other personal mods), and it will be done at my leisure because I am a full time video game programmer and have a family. With that said, and sorry to disappoint anyone in advance, this may never get finished.

Even though it is in a very, very early stage, I'm stating this publicly to be upfront, to see how much interest there still is, and to give the author due credit for the wonderful idea. IF (big if) this ever gets done (at least a fully playable state), it will be completely up to MushroomGenius whether or not it goes to Steam or Nexus or the like. That will be the same deal for handing it off to someone else if I do stop working on it before it is done. While what I intend to make will not be exactly what is written here, it will definitely be close enough that it would be wrong of me to make it public without the author's permission.
How..... how can I properly explain how grateful I am!?!? If this gets finished I will definitely download it! I don't usually use mods, I have I think three that I use regularly, but this would have to be added for certain. I don't know that mushroom genius frequents these forums very much if at all, or that he could be contacted, but you sir have given me a great hope that the forsworn will no longer be ignored!!!!

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
After an extremely long time of being away from this forum, I'm glad to see my brainchild still alive and generating some interest. It was a lot of work for me, I'm glad that it is of good enough quality that it stood the test of time.

Zjane, you absolutely have my blessing to use what I've written as a framework for a mod or set of mods and I appreciate you stepping forward to recognize my work. I'm truly honored and wish you the best in making this a reality. Distribution through whatever means is up to you.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
After an extremely long time of being away from this forum, I'm glad to see my brainchild still alive and generating some interest. It was a lot of work for me, I'm glad that it is of good enough quality that it stood the test of time.

Zjane, you absolutely have my blessing to use what I've written as a framework for a mod or set of mods and I appreciate you stepping forward to recognize my work. I'm truly honored and wish you the best in making this a reality. Distribution through whatever means is up to you.

He lives! :eek:

J

Jeremius

The GREAT ONE Lives!

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

All Hail The MushroomGenius!!!