A Debt to Pay - Chapter II

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki

A Debt to Pay - Chapter II

"Leave. Go. It's coming," the voice in my head kept telling me. The Hill Troll was tearing through Windhelm. Everywhere, guards and citizens alike were being slaughtered. The dozens of arrows piercing the Troll's thick hide didn't seem to slow it down in the least. I stood there, frozen with fear. The Troll turned and stared at me, its dense black eyes opened wide, fresh blood dripping from its filthy jaw.

I took off. The Troll gave chase. I ran from my home through the marketplace and past the blacksmithing shop losing my shoes along the way. The Troll stayed with me, knocking down everything that was in its path. I could hear crates and barrels being splintered, women and children screaming. I kept sprinting towards the Grey Quarter, maybe some of the Dunmer could help burn this Troll down. My feet ached running over the cobble-stoned streets. I looked down to see my white stockings shredded and stained with blood. The Troll's breath now hot on my neck. I could run no more, too much pain in my feet, I collapsed and tumbled into a wall. The Troll stood over me and roared ferociously. I shut my eyes and waited for death.

Suddenly, a roar, louder than the Troll's erupted from above. Windhelm's outer walls came crashing down as a dragon perched atop the battlements. The dragon took flight, swooped down, and grabbed the Troll in one of its talons.

My mother's scream woke me from my dream. I'd never heard her scream like that before. This wasn't the same type of scream like when you find a Skeever nest in your basement, this was frighteningly different. Something was definitely wrong. I bolted from my room and peeked into our living area, no sign of either of my parents. The great hearth was still burning as I pushed myself up onto the mantle and retrieved Ysmir's Fury from its placard.

There were no other noises aside from the crackling of the logs in the hearth. I carefully stepped foot over foot, sword at the ready, through my home. Far enough away from the burning logs in the hearth, I could smell it. That unmistakeable metallic smell. Blood, a lot of it. My ribs and arms began to shake as my brain rushed adrenaline into my body. My hands felt cold, clammy. I made my way to the entrance of our home and saw them. My parents.

2012-07-25_00006Small.jpg

My father was slumped on the ground, his overcoat stained red with blood. My mother lay beside him and unmoving. I wanted to scream. With only the small lanterns lighting our entry, it was difficult to see, but I continued silently, foot over foot to my parents' bodies. The pool of blood surrounding them was still growing. I checked both of them for a pulse, hoped beyond hope that I would see their chests expand as their lungs filled with air. It was not to be. No pulse. No breath. No life. I started to sob. I stepped back from their bodies my bare feet sticky from the blood. I summoned up whatever courage I had left, took a deep breath, and wiped my tears dry with my sleeve. Was it the Troll from my dream? And then I heard.... giggling.

From out of the shadows of the hallway that I had just entered from emerged a silhouetted figure. It was no bigger than I was. The figure pulled back her hood and stepped into the light. A girl! Pale as the snow, with hair like golden silk. Flawless except for the blood that surrounded her mouth and dribbled down her chin, she was unarmed. I did the only thing I could think of, I charged at her, The Fury seeking vengeance. The girl raised her right hand towards me and fired a green ball of energy at me. I had never seen anything like that before. It hit me square in the chest before I could even think of evading. I immediately hit the floor, unable to move anything but my eyes. My breath became shallow as I began to panic. What evil magick is this? She stood over me, my parents' blood dripping off her chin staining my nightdress.

"What a shame, our contract only called for two deaths... but I suppose accidents can happen," she giggled. Her melodic voice was beautiful, strangely it put me at ease even though I was unable to move and unable to talk. My heart rate dropped as did my breathing. My eyes were still wide as I watched the girl move towards my parents. She knelt down and pressed her hand into the lake of blood that emptied from my parents. Returning to me, she firmly pressed her hand onto my chest, leaving a bloody hand print. The girl stepped away and giggled with delight.

Fire erupted from the girl's outstretched hands and poured out onto the tapestries hanging from our walls. The gout of fire continued onto our curtains, furniture, and rugs. I was again starting to panic. I could sense some feeling returning to my toes as I felt the stickiness of blood between them. The girl laughed as my home was set ablaze. She returned to my side, knelt, and kissed me on the forehead. If only I could move! The Fury was just out of reach! She whispered in my ear, "Courtesy of The Dark Brotherhood, enjoy the silent music of life."

My eyes shifted about the room as the fire had spread to the ceiling. Parts of the second floor were falling around me. I could smell my hair burn and my skin start to blister. I looked back at her, but she was gone. My legs had some feeling again as did my hips, I was able to roll myself over. The smoke was getting to be too much, I inhaled it into my lungs and immediately coughed it back out. My chest felt like a fist, my lungs burning. I felt myself blacking out as my burning house continued to crash around me. I never imagined fire to be so loud. I could now feel the burns on my arms, I tried to crawl towards the door, the bottom of my nightdress caught aflame. I was still about ten feet from the door when I saw it burst open, but they were too late.

My eyes shut and thought of Sovngarde.

= End of Chapter II =

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts