Vampires - Missing Element from Lore

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pete

I've played quite a few vampires in Skyrim. I've used all sorts of mods to make it interesting. Now I've been reading a series of vampire novellas and realized there's one item about vampires that's missing completely from Skyrim.

Vampires must return to their coffin on a regular basis. Most lore has it that it's nightly, but for the sake of Skyrim game play I can see why they left it out.

I could see it being a requirement to return to a coffin on a regular basis. You would be required to rest in any towns cemetery say once a week. If you get caught the towns folk go after you. Also a nice vampire power would be return to coffin. Useable once a week.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
The only coffin I know of is Alva's in Morthal. Not sure she actually sleeps in it though.

Perhaps TES' Vampires are akin to Twilight (lol)? No sleep necessary.

Pete

True enough!

The key to the coffin use is that it adds a vulnerability that vampire hunters can use. Sort like once you as a vampire are caught feeding and escape, these folks start appearing -- much in the same way as bounty hunters. If you were attacked in your coffin you get a change to fight for your life, but only using hand to hand.

It will be interesting to see how they update things with the DLC. I'm sure they have a sense of what the Skyrim Community chatters about. I'm not expecting this type of feature though.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I thought I was the only one who noticed this about the Skyrim vampires. Coffins are a staple in most vampire literature. Although, I always hated reading about the Vampire hunters killing the vampires while they slept. Hell, even Dracula, the Big Ape of the Vampire world, was slayed in this manner. Kills the climax for me. I want to see a battle or something. Samething in Clarmonde ("La Morte Amoureuse"), although it was wrong what they did to her. Very sad. Sigh... :sadface:

But yeah, sleeping in coffins would've been awesome. I doubt it'll be in the DLC, but you never know.

Xarnac

Do the living have to sleep in ES? Then neither do the undead. With that said, there was a coffin to sleep in, in Ob and there is one in Dawnguard as well.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Do the living have to sleep in ES? Then neither do the undead. With that said, there was a coffin to sleep in, in Ob and there is one in Dawnguard as well.

You can sleep in a coffin in Dawnguard?

Xarnac

You can sleep in a coffin in Dawnguard?
I believe Harkon has one and you get to use it if you kill him. Similar to Oblivion's plug in. Or so I've been told by 360 players.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I believe Harkon has one and you get to use it if you kill him. Similar to Oblivion's plug in. Or so I've been told by 360 players.

That's awesome. Now, I really can't wait for the DLC to come out.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
It's just sleeping in a coffin, no different than sleeping in a regular bed. Though, I suppose if you aren't a vampire that you can't sleep in it. Haven't tried to with a regular character.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts