• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Geel-Kajin

CHAPTER 1

A bolt of thunder lashed at the horizon, scouring the earth with tongues of flame. But as quick as it's arrival, they went. They were quickly put out by the never ending storm, the great shower of water never ceasing to pour from rolling black clouds. It was as if the gods were playing their little game of power, toying with the lives of mortals as they raged their battles in whatever realm they were in.

The rhythmic fall of rain faltered for a second, as a man dashed through the huge puddles of water. His bare feet hit the cold surface of the ground, beads of water cascading from the impact like the splatter of blood from a war hammer. Indeed there will be blood spilt, He thought, leaping past protruding roots and hanging creepers which glistened with water. But it shall be none other than mine if I continue to falter as I have.

Through the rumbling of thunder, he heard it. The barking of a half dozen hounds, each hot on his trail. He knew they were all trained to rip and tear through the thickest of armor should the victim refuse to yield, but it was the people behind him which he feared the most. They were the ones who carried the law upon their swords, the ones who wielded it as if they ruled the world.

Run like the wind, He told himself. After all, he had nothing left to loose. What was a sprained ankle from tripping in the darkness meant to be to him, if the penalty for giving up was death? Faster, faster. Let the spirit wolves of your ancestors speed you on, let their phantom ravens guide you through the darkness. If there was any time to believe in such folly, it was now. When desperation took you, all which could save you was hope. You could hope that you would outrace them, hope that the shadows of the night should conceal you. After all, how could he be scorned for hoping, if the result of not doing so was death?

Geel-Kajin

CHAPTER 2

Hope was cruel in many ways. It let you believe in the slimmest chance, gave you strength to carry on. How, how could I have been so trusting as to give hope a chance? He asked himself, as the dogs surrounded him. The beasts leered at him, their teeth glinting. He could tell that each animal was up to his waist, and just as long as he was tall. In the flashes of blinding lightning, each beast's shadow towered above him.

All hope was lost now. Each hound was capable of maiming him to death. It seemed to him that they longed for him to attempt to escape, so that they may plunge their fangs into his flesh. Their eyes were maddened with the thrill of the chase. Perhaps it was the relentless rain, or the notion of entering death's embrace which troubled him. Either way, each hound's eyes seem to glow red, each one a herald of doom.

It was not long before the swords came upon him. As his arms were yanked back and shackled in chains, he heard them laughing, as if this was nothing but a game to them, as if they were like a god. My life is but entertainment to you. I may despise the warped laws you have, but your understanding of a living being is even more disgusting. Am I something to be hunted, to be chased and tormented, before finally being put down? Even their dogs told him the truth, each one wagging their tails with the sense of accomplishment.

As they dragged him along, he gave himself up to defeat. No longer was he fearful for his life. He now bore the look of a damned man, cursed with the knowledge of his oncoming death. He no longer cared about how they joked to each other, how they thrust him into the cart. He no longer cared about the guards and their words. He simply wanted this all to end.

Come to think of it, he should have thought of this all earlier. After all, what was the point of going through the trouble of poaching and trying to survive. Why was his life worthy of any value, if the bringers of law could put it down so easily. He barely felt the journey to the fort, for he knew he was as good as dead.

Geel-Kajin

CHAPTER 3

"Name, Crow. Crime, poaching on the hunting grounds of Lord Balgruuf the Greater."

"Do you plead guilty?"

"I am about as guilty as every other man who has stood before you. I am as guilty as that old man whose skeleton now floats in the waters near Dragonsreach, run down by your guards from trying to stop the insane idea of summoning a dragon to Whiterun. I am as guilty as that youth who ran that stall in the lower districts, whose body rots in an unmarked grave for false accusation of treason. I am as guilty as the now headless Stormcloaks who are brought to you, defenseless and in chains. Tell me, how guilty am I?"

Crow saw the man's jaw tighten, eyes narrowing. "I suggest you halt your tongue, fool. "

"I am a dead man, what have I to fear if I do not even have ownership over my own life?" Crow looked the commander in the eye, took in every feature of the man. His brutish face, wrinkled brow and jutting chin. He wanted to remember him, so that when he took his place amongst his dead ancestors, he would know who to look for when he wished to unleash his wrath.

Foolish boy, have you not learned a thing about faith? It is a thing for cowards, for people who cannot accept their demise. A tiny voice in his head spoke up, planting seeds of doubt into him. Was it true? Had his fathers last words been lies? What if nothing awaited him at the other side, all promise of peace false?

The commander's face turned feral at his words, and Crow saw his right hand twitch, as if it yearned to draw his sword and behead him in front of the guards. But he stopped, a thin smile etched upon his face. "That has earned you a fate worse than a quick death, boy." The commander's armor clinked as his turned to face his guards, the crimson background of the imperial sign emblazoned on his chestplate. To many, it would be a color of courage, of valor. To him, it looked like the blood of innocents.

"Let him starve to death in the dungeons. He shall not be given the mercy of an honorable death by the blade, but a death which will never let him see the sunlight again." Crow's eyes widened slightly, his heart fluttering slightly in protest. His face turned even whiter than usual, hands straining against the iron shackles. It was not the pain of the death in which he feared. No, it was the confirmation of nothing awaiting him after death.

A death by starvation would never earn him a place in his ancestor's realm, should such a place even be true. It required him to die by the weapon of his enemy, what was considered the true death. But that moment of fear was soon over. He felt the gloved hands taking him, dragging him towards the depths.

Geel-Kajin

BREAKER- Author's comments.

Hi guys, I hope you like the story so far.

It's my first time writing fan fiction, so go easy on me. The story shall not clash with the main plot of the game, so there will be little spoilers, and if so, subtle ones. A breaker is the point where I stop writing for the day, give my hands a rest and let the reviews come in :)

If y'all read the story and decide to give it a review, please know that I will thoroughly enjoy seeing one, even a criticism. Reviews are just as appealing as writing is. Also, I know my work has not been in vain. The plotline is not very clear at the moment, but I hope to make it unique as the fan fiction travels on. If you have any ideas for the story later on, drop a comment or pm me.

Thanks for reading!

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
    Its a good story, it did take me some time to get the sense of how the highlighted speech marking was working. I'm more used to the classic speech markers.

However i'm interested to see where your idea goes. Keep going.

Geel-Kajin

Its a good story, it did take me some time to get the sense of how the highlighted speech marking was working. I'm more used to the classic speech markers.

However i'm interested to see where your idea goes. Keep going.

Thanks, for the review. The highlighted speech is more often found within the roleplay section of the community. Since I originally came from that area, I decided to continue with colored texts.

Start Dale

Ah, well that makes sense. Iam enjoying the apparent new subject, i have no idea where this will go, so i would like to keep reading it.

Geel-Kajin

CHAPTER 4

Crow couldn't tell how long he'd stayed there. He had given up keeping track of time; the gritty flames which lit the corridor showed no change, no windows to see the transition between day and night. At the start, he had been frantic for a way out- a loose grate in the floor, a crack in the iron bars. Alas, the cell was secure, every nook and cranny sealed tightly.

As each idea of escape failed him, so did his body. His body was emaciated, the little stored food he had depleted. At first, he had manged to survive on leather. Crow had torn his belt to strips, rationing the salty animal skin over each meal. True, they were not the best source of nutrition, but desperation to meet a different, better death had driven him to extreme measures. However, even that source of food was gone, leaving him to face death.

There was no difference between waking and sleeping. Sometimes, friends long gone would visit his stone cell, and he would find himself laughing along with them. Others, he would awaken in cold sweat, shivering from the vivid vision of his death.

Many a hour past, each more horrible than the last. His stomach no longer growled in protest- it was most likely shutting down. Often he would be unable to recall who he was, what he had done. The only thing still clear in his dying mind was the bitter anger at the injustice, hatred of the law.

As he was about to close his eyes for the final time, he heard a distant echoing. Footsteps. He gave a soft groan, body straining to focus on the noise. When he heard the clink of armor and saw the imperial symbol through his blurry eyes, he had no doubt who it was. Was the commander here to gloat about his death? Had he come to celebrate yet another "victory"?

"Drink. " A liquid was suddenly shoved down his throat. Crow spluttered as the water went down the wrong canal, his aching body protesting with every cough. Despite the dull pain, his body gratefully took in the water. He blinked as he was hauled up upon his feet, legs barely able to support his own weight.

"Wh...what?" He managed to gasp, sturdy hands taking him. He glanced at the commander. Had he finally decided to give him the mercy of a good death? The commander's face was as blank as a slate. Frightened, Crow let himself be taken to meet whatever fate they had in store.

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
    Love it. I like how you always keep something a mystery and then when you finally reveal the mystery you create another. You're writing is very good, you have just the right level of description. Crow seems like a very interesting character. I look forward to seeing where this is going.

Geel-Kajin

CHAPTER 5

" Do you believe in gods, boy?"

"Ugh... belief is for those who cannot accept their fates."

" Then you and I share the same thoughts.
    Yet things do come through, and I believe you would call this a miracle."

Crow was shoved onto the floor, his battered body hitting the ground with a thump. He barely had time to take in his surroundings when he was commanded to kneel. Crow moaned as he tried to do so, but his body could barely keep itself alive. He stumbled, and was roughly propped into position by a nearby guard.

He looked up, his brain finally registering where he was. No... It can't be. Yet despite what he told himself, his eyes told him the truth. The great hall that he knelt in was high-roofed, great wooden pillars supporting the structure. Behind him, he felt the heat of a fire, his body yearning to soak up it's warmth. It was the dragon skull which adorned the wall which put away all possibility of hallucinating, the creature's remains more fearsome than he could have ever dreamed of.

Wh-What have I gotten myself into...

Dragonsreach. The place for the lords. Only the cases of doomed prisoners were ever done here. Whoever who came into the room with shackles, left as a corpse. Alas, once again it was not the death he seeked, for captives here were dealt away swiftly with poison. Poison was not a good death.

Lord Balgruuf sat upon his throne. His fingers combed through his beard as he stroked it, as if in thought. He wore a scarlet silken shirt, heavily embroidered with gold along the sleeves. On top of that fine shirt was a heavy silver pendant, secured to a shimmering necklace that went round the lord's neck. A gold circlet crowned his head, the ruby in the center of it flashing fierce in the light of the fire. Even in his starved form, Crow could not help but gape at the man's attire. Sure he knew the lords live a good life, but what the man wore was more than what he would ever see in his lifetime.

Crow snapped back to attention when Lord Balgruuf spoke. "I heard you're the troublemaker in my lands some time ago. Tell me, why poach in my lands? The lands further out of Whiterun belong to no man, you could have hunted there without worry."

Crow tried not to laugh. "I am no fighter, my lord. Pardon me, but the reason you left those lands free is easy to see. You feared the creatures which lurked on the edges of the Whiterun Hold. R-Rather than risk clearing them out, you left the jobs to hunters, hoping they would exterminate the beasts. After all, it was free service they provided, no? Starve them by banning the lands rightfully theirs, forcing them to meet the dangers of the wild."

"I know better than to follow in their -Gaahh!"

Crow gasped as a boot kicked him in the ribs, grimacing as the pain racked his body. He heard the guards laugh as he struggled back up.

"I suggest you keep your mouth shut, if you expect the any form of mercy." The commander's face loomed above him, threat seared into his mind by the aching pain.

"Leave him be, Commander. I know he speaks the truth." The commander's rage turned to astonishment, hesitantly stepping back from Crow. He seemed totally shocked by the order.

"It is true what you say, boy. I will not waste my guards on trolls and bears. Let those peasants do their service for their country. If they die in the process... Well, then they were never strong enough to live in this world." The guards murmured their consent.

Crow was stunned. In front of the masses, the lord had never spoken as such. He had always spoken with the pretense of care and concern, even though he could see through him and his lies. His was taken aback by the bluntness of the lord. He is not afraid of what a dying man will tell the masses, He realized. After all, if they slayed him in this room, who could he possibly inform?

"But you, however. You know too much, even without me saying. You are too dangerous to be returned to the world. Even death will not suit you, lest you return to Nirn as a phantom set out to kill us all."

"Take him."

THis time, Crow resisted. He could not think of a fate worse than being unable to return to the wilds, yet also being unable to meet death. Yet as he shrugged off the guards, all his remaining energy being concentrated on escape, he felt a searing pain at the back of his head. He roared in pain, the world swirling in a myriad of color. The last thing he remembered was falling, the ground flying up to greet him. Falling, Falling...

Geel-Kajin

CHAPTER 6

There was darkness, a never ending void. Sometimes the showed nothing. Other times, they showed the universe. Crow found himself falling, further, further from the sky. He plummeted through the silent shadows, the world empty and nonexistent.

Falling, Falling. Ever faster he dropped. Too fast. The bottom of the pit came into view, as black as sin. The endless pit. Crow gasped in fright, yet no voice came from him. No noise reached this cursed place. No laughter, no screams. Only the mute arrival of death. The pit seemed to welcome him, dark tendrils stretching to grab him as he raced closer. The floor was insubstantial, the pit bottom a sea of black smoke. Faster, faster.

He plunged through darkness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crow's eyes flicked open, his body jerking as he sat up. beads of sweat dripped off his matted hair, his lips pale. He remembered the leering emptiness, the open void-

"You're awake." A cold voice broke his chain of thoughts. Crow frowned. Where had he heard that voice before? The clink of steel plate armor jogged his memory. Of course. The commander sat himself upon a wooden chair, next to the mattress the ex-poacher lay on. Crow groaned as his head reeled, struggling to catch up with what his body was processing.

He was in a stone room, no doubt deep within the bowels of Dragonsreach. A single torch lit the far end of the room, casting long shadows of everything it touched. The room was sparsely furnished, only his straw stuffed mattress, and a wooden table-and-chair set occupied the space. It was similar to the one he had been imprisoned in- Perhaps even the same. His foggy brain still throbbed dully, and Crow gave up trying to guess his location.

"Ugh,"he managed to reply, his sore and dusty throat unable to say more. Any water he had drank previously was long gone, giving Crow an estimate of at least a day unconscious. With a cough, he spat out a globule of dry blood. The blow... Must have been hard.

But there was something he couldn't quite put his finger on. Something nagged his mind, something his tired body was screaming at him. If only his brain worked a little faster...

" Our castle surgeon implanted a Soul Gem Fragment in you. Try not to scratch your neck."

Crow's eyes widened, hands shooting up to the back of his neck. Now that he had been informed about it, the pain suddenly became acute, searing. His fingers touched a slight bump in his skin, and he jumped in fright. "What is does it do!?" He asked, panic coloring his voice. Beside the bump, he could feel a large cut, large stitches sealing up the wound. When he withdrew his hand, a reddish-brown crust had smeared his fingertips.

" We can use it to track your movement," The commander's faced changed suddenly, to one of triumph as he leaned closer. " And kill you if you don't follow our orders." A large grin had spread across the man's hideous face, his smooth bald head glinting menacingly in the fire light.

Crow growled in anger, suddenly wishing he had died from that blow. At least then he would have died without the knowledge that he would have to spend his life in servitude. He felt despicable. Many a man would have killed themselves right there and then, more willing to meet death than to enter slavery. Oh no, not me. Too cowardly to meet death, too afraid of what might meet me. Hah, too scared that I would let myself be stripped of what little honor I have. The small lump felt like a badge of disgrace, filling him with self-loathing.

He hated the man, hated him to the core. Not even death is fitting a punishment for this man, neither him nor his lord. memories of Lord Balgruuf came flooding back, and Crow remembered the man's terrible crimes. C-Curse them both.

"Come. I have yet to show you more."

Geel-Kajin

BREAKER
    As you know, the thread is now in the roleplay section. This is because I am inviting people by invitation to join the story. Please do not post any character cards here, unless chosen. Thanks.

Start Dale

BREAKER
    As you know, the thread is now in the roleplay section. This is because I am inviting people by invitation to join the story. Please do not post any character cards here, unless chosen. Thanks.

But... Thats not cool! I was really getting into that.

Well i suppose i can read it there. I was enjoying the story. Not confident enough with the idea and nature of roleplaying yet to give it a go. Maybe soon.

Still getting used to fan fiction writing.

Geel-Kajin

But... Thats not cool! I was really getting into that.

Well i suppose i can read it there. I was enjoying the story. Not confident enough with the idea and nature of roleplaying yet to give it a go. Maybe soon.

Still getting used to fan fiction writing.

Haha, a roleplay here will be different from most. The reason I pick by invitation only is because I select only skilled writers both good at roleplay and fan fiction to join. THus the story will be as it was before, just that now it will contain perspectives of two seperate people.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
    Interesting I was about to put it back, looking forward to reading this, and watching it develop.

Start Dale

Haha, a roleplay here will be different from most. The reason I pick by invitation only is because I select only skilled writers both good at roleplay and fan fiction to join. THus the story will be as it was before, just that now it will contain perspectives of two seperate people.

Cool looking forward to reading the role play if thats cool.

Geel-Kajin

Haha thanks to both of you. The post by the other author will be up soon, and then we may continue :)

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    CHAPTER SEVEN

FWIP! A sturdy Elven arrow embedded itself near the bulls-eye of an archery target outside behind Jorrvaskr, landing amid a cluster of previously fired arrows. The sun was just rising over the top of the rough wooden roof, making their shadows stretch even further across the targets and the wall behind them.

The archer practicing her skill, a tall High Elf, lowered her bow and crossed her arms across her chest as far as she could reach, stretching the muscles in her arms. She had been outside shooting arrows at the same target for about an hour now, going through the same routine she did every morning. She would wake up early, bathe, and get her ass outside to practice before her drowsiness could catch up with her and cause her to lay back down in bed so she could have a couple more hours of sleep.

Smiling to herself, she breathed out a deep sigh and blew her bangs out of her face. Her plum colored hair, although short and tousled, still managed to look as messy as possible, no matter what she did throughout the day to try and calm it down. Even now, as she walked toward the target to retrieve her arrows from it, she was absentmindedly running a hand through her hair, even though it sprung right back into its original position as soon as her hand passed over it.

"Acel!" The Elf's silver-blue eyes snapped up at the sound of her name, coming from behind her near the rear entrance to Jorrvaskr. She turned around to see Farkas standing next to a Whiterun guard, a look of confusion on his face. "You have a visitor. He says that the commander wants to see you for something." The last sentence sounded more like a question than a statement to Acel. She frowned slightly, yanking the last arrow from the target and placing it in her quiver. What could the commander possibly want with me? This is certainly a strange call. Replacing the frown with a small smile, she walks toward Farkas, drumming her fingers against her worn Elven bow.

Looking at the Whiterun guard, Acel smiled and placed her bow over her shoulders so that it lay flat across her back. "Well, we don't want to keep the commander waiting. Let's go see what he wants then, shall we?" With that, she and the guard made the short walk to Dragonsreach, thoughts and questions running through her head.

Geel-Kajin

CHAPTER 8

Crow's eyes widened slightly when he saw what the commander had to show him. Ha...A High Elf? What did you bring her here for, commander? What do you think she can do, the snob nosed kind that they are? Crow gave a dry chuckle, and noticed how unaccustomed his mouth was to smiling, each turn of the lips seeming alien to him. It's been too long since I've laughed.

He turned his gaunt face back to the commander. " Is this all you have to show me?" The commander stared coldly at him, his eyes seeming to pierce his own. " You will be working with this person for the next few days. I suggest you mind what you say, lest she report back to me about your bad behavior."

Crow was aghast. He, working with a High Elf? He did not trust himself to open his mouth, lest he snort in disbelief. It's like the commander wants an eagle and a dove to fly next to each other peacefully! He might as well die now, thus saving him the embarrassment of working with a High Elf.

The commander, his steel Imperial helmet tucked beneath his arm, returned his attention to the High Elf. "I've heard of your abilities High Elf. The court of Dragonsreach has appointed you for a task." Crow saw the High Elf open her mouth slightly, as if to question or protest. Clearly the commander saw so too. "It will not bode well for you to refuse, Elf. Remember, This is a selected task. The whole Court of Whiterun put their vote into it. It will be disrespectful to turn down such a job." He tapped the hilt of his polished sword menacingly, the dull ring of metal echoing around the vast room.

Sure... Fine job you must have, such that you must put a prisoner on death row into it as well. Crow could not put his mind on it. What was the court trying to do? They plucked a stranger from the streets, and a dying man from death row for the job, whatever it may be. With a frown, he stared blankly at the man, trying to read his thoughts. It was like trying to see through a stone wall.

" This is a serious thing to perform though. Before you begin upon it, I need you to swear your loyalty to the court of Whiterun, and the imperial army. If gold is what you worry about, you will be sufficiently paid." Crow's eyes turned suspiciously onto the commander. It was only then he realized that only they three were in the room. The rest of the usually bustling hall was silent, the hiss of slowly dying embers all that spoke to them in return. In this eerily quiet environment, Crow could not help but ponder what lay in store for him. What is the commander doing?

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    CHAPTER 9

The trip to Dragonsreach was becoming more and more confusing to Acel, and was only raising more questions. She was greeted by a look of incredulous disbelief from a Dark Elf that stood next to the commander. Her eyes narrowed in confusion, something that there was certainly no shortage of at the moment. He looks like he's been kept as a prisoner for some time, she thought to herself. She noted the gaunt lines on his face, his emaciated frame. What could the commander possibly have for me to do that involves working with a prisoner? This doesn't make any sense.

"Is this all you have to show me?" Acel heard the Elf ask the commander in a belittling tone, almost as if he expected the commander to be playing a joke on him. Her steel-blue eyes flashed angrily, although no frown was apparent on her face. The commander made a remark about minding what was said, in case she make a bad report about him.

Her gaze was suddenly drawn to the commander when he mentioned that he had heard of her skills and had appointed her to a task. Acel bristled uncomfortably, crossing her arms. She didn't appreciate others making decisions for her, and opened her mouth to make him aware of that. Before she could say anything, he warned it would not be good for her to refuse the offer she had been given, saying it would be highly disrespectful.

"Sir, if I may say so, I want answers." Acel's eyes bore straight into the commander, a slight frown on her face. "I have no problems working with this Dark Elf, although it seems he has issues with me." She glanced toward the Elf, fully aware of prejudices that came with being a High Elf in Skyrim. Returning her gaze to the commander, she said, "But I need to know what we will be doing. I've been given no information about this task we're being asked to perform, and before I swear anything, I would like to know. I believe that's only fair."

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts