The least useful skill in Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which skill is over all the least useful skill in Skyrim?

• Light Armor

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sneak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lockpicking

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Pickpocket

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Speech

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Alchemy

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Illusion

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Conjuration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Destruction

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Restoration

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
Yeah, but if you are actually playing a pickpocket, that perk tree is very useful, not to mention a lot of fun. The lockpicking perk tree, however, isn't worthwhile for any build. Even a character who picks every single lock they come across will not need it as long as they have a good amount of lockpicks - I might waste twenty on a master lock, but I can still get it open with zero lockpicking perks!

But that's only one build out of many. Lock-picking is useful for every build. Twenty attempts at every Master lock and say fifteen at every Expert lock will eat your lockpicks not to mention your play time. If we are talking which set of Perks are least use then Lockpicking gets my vote, but if I had a chance to start the game with 100% Lockpicking or 100% Pickpocket, Lockpicking would win hands down.

EleanorUnicorn

And those 2 potions make Alchemy totally worthwhile...

playing as an archer, i feel like alchemy is a huuuuge advantage, and definitely worth while!! the amount of poisons you can create, to take down each type of enemy imaginable, is just amazing. its much easier to kill your enemy when armed with various poisons, exploiting your enemies weaknesses. 'damage magicka regeneration and health' against mages, 'damage stamina regeneration' against melee fighters, etc. alchemy is an amazing alternative to magic, a lot more realistic when you have to gather the ingredients yourself (i suggest other alchemists who use pc try the 'harvest overhaul' (skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16553) and 'alchemy harvest o tron' (skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15899) they make being an alchemist soooo much easier. also, who hasn't used potions? seriously? even better when you can tailor the potion to your exact needs! alchemy for the win :p

mokz

illusion has 5 votes? ...some people don't know how strong illusion can be on sneaky characters
My vote goes for lockpicking without a doubt. You just need to get used with it, no need for perks or skeleton key.

nomorepork

That was a left at Dragonbridge, right?
Blocking. No perks needed. Heck even using blocking in battle is rarely needed.

illusion has 5 votes? ...some people don't know how strong illusion can be on sneaky characters
My vote goes for lockpicking without a doubt. You just need to get used with it, no need for perks or skeleton key.

Doesn't anyone read the OP? He is specifically saying, ignore the perks!

Xarnac

Since it's completely subjective to the RP, no skill is any less useful than another.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Doesn't anyone read the OP? He is specifically saying, ignore the perks!
The OP edited that qualification in much later and after many of us already posted.

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
yeah I rarely need to pickpocket, and it can be easy without too many upgrades

Honeyderp

Definitely lockpicking. I have never had to buy lock picks. The ones from the tutorial can last the whole game.

Xarnac

No skill is more or less useful than another.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
The OP edited that qualification in much later and after many of us already posted.
As the OP I back Dagmar. It's for people after that update where you can get pissy about not reading. I also said ignore the poll...

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
As the OP I back Dagmar. It's for people after that update where you can get pissy about not reading. I also said ignore the poll...
Yeah the poll is hopelessly broken now, especially since people are still posting responses disregarding your edit. I would never have voted lockpicking based on which skill I use the least or not at all. I use it at least sometimes on every type of character. With that kind of criterion I would have to say it depends on what kind of character you are playing so there really is no definitive answer.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
To each their own. I love to role play my characters and just because I may find a certain skill or perk useless, does not mean my character feels the same.

imINxile

Yeah the poll is hopelessly broken now, especially since people are still posting responses disregarding your edit. I would never have voted lockpicking based on which skill I use the least or not at all. I use it at least sometimes on every type of character. With that kind of criterion I would have to say it depends on what kind of character you are playing so there really is no definitive answer.

Agreed...but let's look at the repercussions. Failing at lockpicking you break a couple of picks. Fail to persuade or intimidate there is usually a dialog path to get where you need to go. Useless in my opinion. When using a melee or magic skill you are using it on someone/something. Death is possible(not really :)) I judge the skills on what I feel is worth investing in. You are right though. Depends on what type of character you are playing......I just havent played them yet. :)

KC95

As others have said there is no objectively "useless" skill in Skyrim. Since its a one person RP, everyone obviously gets satisfaction out of different skills.

I know Im in the minority but I love Speech, and even Lockpicking when I want to become a badass cat burglar who always happens to find flawless jewels.

My choice would be alchemy.

LunaMoth

people need to stop being so butthurt about other peoples opinions. just because you use (or do not use) a certain skill, doesn't mean everyone else does. everyone has their own way of playing skyrim differently.
i voted for illusion. it WOULD be a highly useful skill, IF the spells didn't have a level cap. for example, a calm spell = 'creatures and people up to level 9 wont fight for 30 seconds', and the opposite with a fury spell. great, but i am level 25? and so are the majority of my enemies? illusion spells always seem too weak to be used when i want to use them. 'enemy resisted calm' pretty much all the time. also, harmony, the master level calm spell, requires 100 in illusion to be used.. but only works on people/creatures up to level 25? and i'm pretty sure that by the time people get a skill to 100, they have almost definitely gone past level 25. illusion would be amazing if it didnt have a level cap, but it does, so i hardly use it seeing as the majority of my enemies are too strong for it to work! if you really need to calm something down, voice of the emperor or command animal works much better than an illusion spell! only useful thing about illusion = muffle, and the quiet casting perk!
Did you know you can dual-cast them to 2x the level cap? I wouldn't borther with the master level ones for that reason.

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
i voted for illusion. it WOULD be a highly useful skill, IF the spells didn't have a level cap. for example, a calm spell = 'creatures and people up to level 9 wont fight for 30 seconds', and the opposite with a fury spell. great, but i am level 25? and so are the majority of my enemies? illusion spells always seem too weak to be used when i want to use them. 'enemy resisted calm' pretty much all the time. also, harmony, the master level calm spell, requires 100 in illusion to be used.. but only works on people/creatures up to level 25? and i'm pretty sure that by the time people get a skill to 100, they have almost definitely gone past level 25. illusion would be amazing if it didnt have a level cap, but it does, so i hardly use it seeing as the majority of my enemies are too strong for it to work! if you really need to calm something down, voice of the emperor or command animal works much better than an illusion spell! only useful thing about illusion = muffle, and the quiet casting perk!

I have to correct you here on your misguided take on Illusion. You can take the basic Calm spell, use the Kindred Mage perk (40 skill, and you take Animage on the way), use the Hypnotic Gaze perk (30 skill), and use the Dual Casting perk (20 skill). Calm goes up to level 9 on its own. Add in Kindred (+10 levels) and Hypnotic (+8 levels), and you can hit level 27 humans, and level 25 animals.

Oh sure, you say that isn't good enough? Well how about a Dual Casted Calm spell (mind you, this only takes 40 Illusion skill and 4 open perks, so by your level 5 you can be doing this), 2.2 times the spell magnitude, meaning you can now hit level 59 humans and level 55 animals! So what were you saying about level 25 and the spells not working? At that point your only problems are things unaffected until you get the 90 skill perk Master of the Mind.

If you want to use the higher level spells, stick with Pacify, because Harmony can't be dual cast, and if it can, no one has enough Magicka for it anyway. Pacify can hit level 38 humans and 36 animals with Kindred and Hypnotic. Dual cast, this brings you to 83 for humans and 79 for animals.

For perspective: Frost Trolls are level 22, and they are the highest level animal (aside from passive Mammoth level 38 which you can dual cast calm), so you can hit that with your basic calm. The highest level Bandit is a Chief at 28, 1 level over your basic calm spell single cast. An Arch Necromancer caps at level 46, so you can easily hit these with a Dual Cast Calm spell as well.

Not only that, but as you said Illusion also includes Muffle and Quiet Casting, as well as Invisibility which is also quite nice.

TL;DR You can take 4 perks and use the Apprentice Calm to hit every enemy you will run into effectively, humans and creatures, that Calm is supposed to effect. :)

EDIT: apparently I was ninja'd while typing this out.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Frost Trolls are level 22, and they are the highest level animal ...

I don't believe trolls are counted as animals, though. When I have the Voice of the Sky bonus, which prevents animals from attacking or fleeing from you, trolls still come after me. So I don't know if Animage would apply to trolls either.

I'd love to know what they are counted as, if they're not animals... they sure aren't humans!