People who haven't played prior Elder Scrolls titles

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I have removed a thread about this topic because the original post contained some language that went well above and beyond the bounds of good taste. I do think some of the follow ups were interesting so I'm creating this thread so that discussion can continue.

As annoyed as anyone may be when a newbie to the Elder Scrolls makes some uninformed comment about the Wabbajack, I'm fairly confident we can mock their ignorance without referring to bodily fluids and such.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I actually started with Oblivion but then went back and played Morrowind. I haven't played Daggerfall or Arena, however. I'm hardly lore-savvy (brain like a sieve instead of a sponge... it's hell to get old) so I make use of the wikis available. I do have those "Aha!" moments when going through Skyrim especially when reading the books.

Garrison

The amount of time I spent on Arena was frightening. Clunky compared to recent titles of course, but it was as addictive as the others, and had some cool features that seemed to have disappeared with the newer titles. Somehow I missed Daggerfall, but then resumed my TES passion with Morrowind.

Touchstone

Started with Morrowind (hadn't heard of the series before then) and I've never looked back. I must say, I enjoy each game more because I've played its predecessor.

Skyrimosity

I honestly am yet to get Skyrim. I will get it in the next few days. can't wait for my first experience in the Elder Scrolls series!

Kerzechtus

Power Gamer
For those who are really into story; it's best you play all of Morrowind; Oblivion before playing Skyrim. The older titles I can't say because Idk if people are still selling the old games.

Skyrimosity

360 player so obviously my options are pretty limited on RPG games. I trust Skyrim to not make me cry over not playing the older ones.

Kerzechtus

Power Gamer
360 player so obviously my options are pretty limited on RPG games. I trust Skyrim to not make me cry over not playing the older ones.

Not really but the lore is something creative that legacy's like Warcraft and what have you lacks. I mean there's alot of history and detail; not sugar coated half assery.

Skyrimosity

My favorite RPG is Fable. I expect Fable to be nothing but an embarrassment to the entire RPG genre after playing Skyrim.

Touchstone

My favorite RPG is Fable. I expect Fable to be nothing but an embarrassment to the entire RPG genre after playing Skyrim.
Oh no, that happened when it came out.

BabyMickers

Totally sweet
I was totally lost in Morrowind... I couldn't kill anything, way too many stats, quests were confusing, and overall I just wasn't used to such a huge game. I bought a 360 just to play Oblivion which I sunk tons of time into. Skyrim just couldn't get here soon enough.

Khazrihl

Guys, I'm going to be fair to Fable for a minute, sure... it's not an in-depth RPG... but at least it gives something to the people who lack the attention span for micro-management. It's a title that can be appreciated by all players across the RPG spectrum.

Despite this positive comment... I hate Fable.

Bah, I can't really say that, played a good deal of Fable 3 (After having played a metric crapton of Oblivion.)

A5ko

Dual-Wielding Dragon Destroyer
Fable didn't take itself too seriously and for that reason I enjoyed it thoroughly

Skyrimosity

Guys, I'm going to be fair to Fable for a minute, sure... it's not an in-depth RPG... but at least it gives something to the people who lack the attention span for micro-management. It's a title that can be appreciated by all players across the RPG spectrum.

Despite this positive comment... I hate Fable.

Bah, I can't really say that, played a good deal of Fable 3 (After having played a metric crapton of Oblivion.)
Well, if not for Fable I wouldn't be looking into this game. Fable got me interested in RPG's, but in that game I felt like it lacked because with any sword could kill anything, rifle owned, and I got killed like, once. So yea, going into a game I've not yet played and I expect to die hundreds of times is just so different it's amazing.

Khazrihl

Well, if not for Fable I wouldn't be looking into this game. Fable got me interested in RPG's, but in that game I felt like it lacked because with any sword could kill anything, rifle owned, and I got killed like, once. So yea, going into a game I've not yet played and I expect to die hundreds of times is just so different it's amazing.

Glad you posted this. Prime example of why games like Fable definitely deserve a place amongst RPGs.

Stats and skills can be overwhelming to someone who isn't savvy to how RPGs work, or rather, just feels intimidated. Kindof like the first time I sat down at a pen and paper session.

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
Oblivion came out and I borrowed morrowind for my xbox original.

Fell in love with morrowind after I understood the game mechanics. (it can be pretty daunting.)

I got a 360 as a christmas present and oblivion. Never before was I more excited to play a game. I actually give most of that credit to oblivion. I did EVERYTHING in that game. It pretty much created the enthusiasm I have for the series.

Accessibility is important. Morrowind was probably a deeper game than oblivion, and arguably skyrim. Yet obivion was the first game in the series to be truly user friendly. Skyrim is another step in the right direction with its leveling sysem. It takes the guesswork out of character building for new players, and the veterans can still pre-build perk trees and optimize their equipment if they so choose.

I actually remember sitting in front of both morrowind and oblivion and thinking "Man, can't I just pick nothing as my major/minor skills?"

I rarely get annoyed with kids playing skyrim, I think it's great that they have enthusiasm for something other than call of duty. Not that it's a bad game, but it relies on a lot of hype and peer bandwagoning to make sales.

About fable: I don't care for the humor, but the combat is fun IMO. Seamless switching between magic, guns, and melee. A little darker, deeper, and more beleiveable and I think it could be a contender. Remember that temple you go in towards the end of the rebellion story in the desert? More of THAT please.

I've played arena and it makes me appreciate how far bethesda has come since then! Of course that game is fun and was great when it came out as is all the elder scrolls games.

oh and ps. if your thinking about playing arena, expect to die hundreds of times! And save every five minutes haha