Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I'm just amazed that he's still producing entries! I couldn't keep up a journal for more than a couple days. Don't worry, though, he writes quickly!

BIGwooly

As a way to say thank you for writing such a enjoyable journal, I thought it would be nice to see what one of Hrisskar's entries would look like. So I put together an example and although it is by no means of professional quality, I found it fun and interesting to do. At the very least I hope it provides a visual stimulate to go along with the mental one you have provided with your journal entries.

That's pretty damn awesome. ;)

BIGwooly

I'm just amazed that he's still producing entries! I couldn't keep up a journal for more than a couple days. Don't worry, though, he writes quickly!

Got another entry coming tonight, if not two.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Ah, I'm glad you liked it. I always like to see how things look when presented in a different format. I just wished I had actual skill so I could be a bit more creative. Haha. I'm looking forward to more journal entries and maybe I'll start one of my own some day.

BIGwooly

Ah, I'm glad you liked it. I always like to see how things look when presented in a different format. I just wished I had actual skill so I could be a bit more creative. Haha. I'm looking forward to more journal entries and maybe I'll start one of my own some day.

You should, the journal has enhanced my experience quite a bit. A lot more than I thought it would. I have some pretty cool ideas for my next project too. d;-)

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Ah, well, I usually play dead is dead when doing a hardcore character. So most times they don't live long enough to have a journal. Besides, I usually forget to write about anything after playing. Though I have been meaning to start a new game about a Khajiit slave who escaped Morrowind and took a job with the caravan and write about it. Undecided. One day. Or one day after next.

When I try to write a journal I find I either have to write it after I finish and just hope I remember it, or play in one-day intervals and write it down then, but I feel that breaks up the gameplay too much and breaks immersion. How do you do it?

BIGwooly

- 1st of Last Seed, 4E 202 -

Today I rode from Riverwood to Dawnstar, avoiding yet another dragon .. and then headed to the stormcloak camp to speak with Galmar. He took the documents I had acquired and made some modifications to them, then sent me off to Morthal to deliver the falsified papers to a legion officer there.

Morthal.

Of all the place in Skyrim I dislike, I dislike Morthal the most.

This stinking stain of a town is a curse upon me. It always has been. And today was no different, for as I rode into town on a simple mission to deliver some papers and leave, my fortune spoiled like a week-old horker loaf.

Several guards accosted me on sight, and for a moment I thought my cover had already been blown somehow. But it wasn't that. The empire worshiping jarl was not fond of how I had been treating imperial patrols lately. I suppose it's good that my reputation is gaining strength.

Actually, I'm surprised they even let me live. Men have been killed for far lesser crimes against the empire. But perhaps the guards and the jarl know of my abilities as the dragonborn, and didn't wish to put that to the test. Or perhaps they believe that because I'm dragonborn I can somehow solve the dragon situation in Skyrim.

Whatever the case, they decided to just fine me instead. Two thousand gold. The fetchers left me with just over four hundred gold. But I kept a level head, as I still had a mission to complete and didn't want to blow that.

After delivering the papers I headed over to the inn and rented a room for the night. I have no desire to stay in this cursed place any longer than I have to, but darkness is around the corner and I refuse to travel through the swamps at night. Better to spend a few more hours in Morthal I suppose. I hope.

BIGwooly

Ah, well, I usually play dead is dead when doing a hardcore character. So most times they don't live long enough to have a journal. Besides, I usually forget to write about anything after playing. Though I have been meaning to start a new game about a Khajiit slave who escaped Morrowind and took a job with the caravan and write about it. Undecided. One day. Or one day after next.

MMMMMMM. You will definitely enjoy my next project then. d;-)

BIGwooly

When I try to write a journal I find I either have to write it after I finish and just hope I remember it, or play in one-day intervals and write it down then, but I feel that breaks up the gameplay too much and breaks immersion. How do you do it?

You may have noticed that I generally write at the beginning or end of each day, and sometimes more than once in a day. I do this specifically because I write up each entry right after playing it. This way I remember things fresh in my mind.

It does break up the gameplay, and sometimes I really just want to keep playing because I just feel like playing and not writing. But that's the choice I made when I decided to take this on. And honestly, more often than not it's the writing of the journal that helps increase the immersion because it IS (in some ways) part of the game for me now.

I hear what you're saying though. It hasn't been easy to write this many journal entries.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.

I'm currently writing a journal now about a Dunmer refugee from High Rock (yes, not from Morrowind) who stowed away on a ship bound for Solitude. The first day, the 18th of Last Seed 201 (yes, 18th - I have PS3 version so I had to actually go to Solitude) - the only one I've played so far - is 1200 words long, and I wrote it more or less as I was playing (since, obviously, my laptop wasn't being used for Skyrim at the same time).

The main challenge for me is trying to forget what I already know about the game, since I've played it "normally" already. Hrisskar is also effectively a first character, so that helps BIGwooly's immersion.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
One thing is you can just take notes as you play. This will allow you keep playing but also refresh your memory later. It's what I use to do. That is, before I got digitized and pen and paper became a myth. Hm, I think I may write a journal, as soon as I come up with a few ideas for characters and rp. Or I may just write some fan fiction. Hm... Until then I at least have the work of others to entertain me.

BIGwooly

One thing is you can just take notes as you play. This will allow you keep playing but also refresh your memory later. It's what I use to do. That is, before I got digitized and pen and paper became a myth. Hm, I think I may write a journal, as soon as I come up with a few ideas for characters and rp. Or I may just write some fan fiction. Hm... Until then I at least have the work of others to entertain me.

This.

I don't personally take notes but I know a few others that started up journals and this is what some of them do. I don't do it because I just really want to write when it's all fresh in my mind. Each to their own, though.

BIGwooly

- 3rd of Last Seed, 4E 202 -

Morthal. Back in this godforsaken place. But I'm leaving this morning and that puts a smile on my face. The last two days have been grueling, and I'm ready to be gone from these swamps.

Yesterday I led the battle for Fort Snowhawk. It had a larger garrison than I've confronted before, but my stormcloak companions fought bravely and brutally. By the evening the fort was ours, and after ensuring the stormcloak regiment had it's defenses secured, I rode back to Morthal.

I hadn't intended to spend the night, but I ran out of light as the sun slipped behind the mountains. So I rented a room, dropped a few coins for dinner, and tried to pretend I was somewhere else.

My pockets are feeling pretty light after the guards shook me down, so I inquired with the barkeep to see if she had any leads for work. She just so happened to have a contract available, so I took it. My eagerness melted away as I opened it and saw it was a contract to eliminate a dragon. If ever there was a sign that this dragon mess was getting out of control, this was it. There are too many for the guards and soldiers to handle, so now private resources are being enlisted.

I'm not sure who in their right mind would go after a dragon by themselves, but it won't be me. Certainly not a work order from this cursed town.

Still, I'm feeling torn right now. The dragons are a problem. This much is true. And I feel an obligation to help Delphine get to the bottom of it. But she's grasping at straws in the dark. She was convinced the thalmor were behind it all, and look how that turned out.

No, I must continue to help Ulfric push the empire out of Skyrim. The imperials are still the primary threat in our land, and my father's blood won't be avenged until they are all running away with their tails tucked just like the handful of soldiers that made it out of Fort Snowhawk.

For Skyrim!

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
The good news, Hrisskar, is that you'll never have to enter Morthal again. Probably. Unless, of course, you actually want to do that contract. But dragon-slaying contracts typically pay well....

Personally, I always liked the atmosphere of Hjaalmarch even though I seldom go there except for Ustengrav and "Liberate Hjaalmarch". Of course Sjadbek is now scolding me. "You say that because it's all pretty pictures on a screen to you. Try actually wading through the slushy swamps with mudcrabs biting at your legs."

BIGwooly

What happened? Nobody has posted anything for the last couple days. This lack imperial bloodshed does not make me very happy.

Work happened .. again. I had a shoot this weekend. Might be able to get something up later today, though. d;-)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts