Nocturnal's Cowl & the equally Invisible Storylines

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Where is her cowl after Oblivion? She's not wearing it and the Hero of Kvatch (Sheogorath) dosn't have it either.

If Bethesda wanted to extend the guild quest lines they have plenty of room to do so:
Companions - Werebear and more bestial side of the guild.
College - The order and the lost apprentices.
Dark Bro - The new Sanctuary, recruiting, and more killing.

Now back to the main event, the cowl!. With it's notable absence it is fair to assume that it has been lost to mortals after the events of Oblivion, ala: Ebony Mail. Reclaiming the cowl and sparking some political chaos would be a fun storyline. They could even throw in Nocturnal's bow and a unique set of Nightengale daggers (because Skyrim's unique daggers are about as useful as the steak knives that are oddly also in game).

As for how this would happen I think it would be cool for Nocturnal to possess Maven (just imagine how funny that'd get) and, through her, claim Riften (secretly for Nocturnal). Of course this would require a lot of sleuthing, subterfuge, theft, bribery, and the odd assassination; perfect for the Thieve's guild. This would also give Brynjolf and Karliah a more enduring presence that "I'm busy now" and being stuck in a remote Shrine.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Round two: BUMP!

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
Companions werebear sounds nice, also, Argonian werecroc / Khajiit weresabrecat. Because seriously. Khajiit/Argo werewolf is lame.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Companions werebear sounds nice, also, Argonian werecroc / Khajiit weresabrecat. Because seriously. Khajiit/Argo werewolf is lame.

I would expect that for the Eleswyr / Black March title. Seriously, argonians should be freezing as it is. What'd you think about the cowl? Anyone have an explanation or theory for it's disappearance?

DovahCap

I would expect that for the Eleswyr / Black March title. Seriously, argonians should be freezing as it is. What'd you think about the cowl? Anyone have an explanation or theory for it's disappearance?

I never played Oblivion (Probably not going to either. I'm a poor bastard.), so I don't know anything about the cowl. Fill me in?

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
You just made my day. Werecroc.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I never played Oblivion (Probably not going to either. I'm a poor bastard.), so I don't know anything about the cowl. Fill me in?

Oh, well
The first guild master of the Cyrodiil thieve's guild originally stole it from nocturnal as a show of his skill. The Grey fox is the leader of the guild in Oblivion. The cowl gave you a new identity and prevented your true one from being discovered. The catch was that whoever wore the cowl had their identity erased for the duration of it being worn. Anyway, the player in Oblivion eventually gets the cowl and goes off to become Sheogorath.
The question now is where did the cowl go if Sheogorath doesn't seem to have it now. In his mad whimsy I would expect him to have given it to a rather humorous target.

TheDovahkiin

Or maybe he turned it into chesse. CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!

DovahCap

You just made my day. Werecroc.

Nord werebear.

Imperial wereeagle.

Breton were.. familiar? Idk breton stuff. Wolves and crap.

High Elf werenazi lololol.

Wood Elf werecoon

Dark Elf weredaedroth for the lolz.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Or maybe he turned it into chesse. CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!

Being a daedric prince, a mad one no less, I think that he'd find a more... creative solution to that. Giving a king or emperor the cowl perhaps? (thus dethroning him) Giving it to one loved by his family and making them forget him, the possibilities are endless!

TheDovahkiin

werenazi........... WWIII DLC anyone?

DovahCap

Now let's not get call of duty on this. THIS. IS. SKYRIM!!! *Fus Ro Dah* Seriously, any thoughts on the cowl.

If that treacherous Mercer got his hands on said cowl...

Haru17

Lost Falmer
If that treacherous Mercer got his hands on said cowl...

Naw, according to ES logic it would've been in his inventory, lol. I think it would've been some horribly ironic person or maybe a thief.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I think the cowl (which I miss so much) likely did what all daedric artifacts do after a time, magically returned to Oblivion. Nocturnal's cowl is actually a rather lore deep subject, and you're explanation of it was rather, I don't want to say poor, but incomplete and slightly misleading. A better explanation would be this:

The Cowl Of Nocturnal was stolen by Emer Dareloth, the first leader of the Cyrodiil Thieves Guild, stole the cowl from Nocturnal, who in retaliation cursed the cowl so that anywho wore it would only be recognized as the Grey Fox and nothing more. Even when they removed the cowl the memories of the world would never remember the wearer of the cowl or recognize them again. This caused many affects to the time line and actually lead the Thieves Guild to ruin because the leaders could not function in normal society. During the events of Oblivion the Hero of Kvatch helped the current Grey Fox lift the curse using an Elder Scroll and thus actually change the time line an modify the curse. The new curse made it so that the wearer of the cowl was only recognized by the cowl as the Grey Fox, but still retained their own identity when they removed the cowl and were still remembered by others.

I personally assume the Cowl is either back in Nocturnal's possession or is still somewhere in Cyrodiil. I was hoping for it to return in Skyrim however and was upset it didn't.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I think the cowl (which I miss so much) likely did what all daedric artifacts do after a time, magically returned to Oblivion. Nocturnal's cowl is actually a rather lore deep subject, and you're explanation of it was rather, I don't want to say poor, but incomplete and slightly misleading.

I personally assume the Cowl is either back in Nocturnal's possession or is still somewhere in Cyrodiil. I was hoping for it to return in Skyrim however and was upset it didn't.

It's ok, my explanation was poor, thanks for the help. My thought is that since she wasn't wearing her cowl that she didn't have it. In Oblivion Volendrung, Spellbreaker, Azura's Star, the Ebony Blade, the Mace of Molag Bol, the Skull of Corruption, and Mehrune's Razor seem to have stayed in Mundas, so artifacts being lost in Mundas is not unheard of. It is also worth mentioning that the Ebony Mail was lost until a mortal (they player) intervened.

I still think it's possible for the cowl to make an appearance. The ideas above for the guild extensions (which, in Skyrim all felt a bit abrupt) would fit this well, in my opinion.