• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
This is my first game in the series, so the question might have been answered in a earlier game.

Which are seen to be the intrinsically more powerful, the gods or the daedric princes, or is no comparison possible? In Skyrim, it seems that the princes certainly have more obvious power, but there aren't many places where the gods do anything to demonstrate their abilities. it seems to me there is the possibility of a series of quests that pit a specific pairing of god vs prince, with you choosing to side with one or the other.

El Fonz0

First of all, they're all gods. The "gods" are referred to as "the Divines" or "Aedra"
Second of all, the Aedra are gods of creaton, and the Daedra are gods of change.
You can figure out the rest.

The Aedra do help mortals but don't meddle as much as the Daedra. The shrines to the divines cure your disease and give you a buff for a period of time.

Scholars are quick to point out that the characterization of Daedra as "evil" is a gross oversimplification. Whereas the Aedra represent stasis, the Daedra represent fluidity, change and chaos; this causes many Daedra to be seen as destructive. However, mortal concepts of good and evil cannot be easily applied to them, and to the extent that these concepts do apply, Daedra exist at both ends of the spectrum.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
This is my first game in the series, so the question might have been answered in a earlier game.

Which are seen to be the intrinsically more powerful, the gods or the daedric princes, or is no comparison possible? In Skyrim, it seems that the princes certainly have more obvious power, but there aren't many places where the gods do anything to demonstrate their abilities. it seems to me there is the possibility of a series of quests that pit a specific pairing of god vs prince, with you choosing to side with one or the other.
Daedra are actually gods, however I believe you meant the Divines. Let me get a little Lore out of the way:

The Eight original Divines, Akatosh, Dibella, Zenithar, Mara, Stendarr, Kynareth, Julianos, and Arkay, are known as Aedra, and are polar opposite to Daedra. The Aedra, Eight being the Divines and many others besides, created Mundus, they have the power to create and reside in Aetherius, while the Daedra possess the power to change and reside in Oblivion. Tiber Septim became a god when he became Talos as he ascended to godhood and is neither. The distinction has to do with who assisted with the creation of Mundus and somewhat to do with Anu and Padomay (two other much older gods), the Aedra (mostly) being the 'children' of Anu and the Daedra (mostly) the 'children' Padomay. I could go on longer but this is the basis of what you need to know to understand the distinction.

Now to answer your question, the only direct actions of the Divines that I can think of is shown in the Knights of The Nine DLC for Oblivion, where the Champion of Cyrodiil collects a suit of armor that the Eight created and Talos then further strengthens it's power. The power behind their blessings is also some proof of their power. The Nine however do not directly match up as oppisites to anyone Daedra, in fact both Meridia and Arkay could be considered to agree since they both are opposed to undead.

ValkyrieWarrior

The Loner
I also wanted to know about the daedric princes though when my friend explained it i was yet still confused. Reading on what all of you had said has helped me a little bit though i still have questions since I have never been on a quest for them or even the Divine (also want to know a little bit more about them) ,and hearing about them in Skyrim and also in the forums, I wanted to learn more because me being so curious. Also because I don't like being confused.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I also wanted to know about the daedric princes though when my friend explained it i was yet still confused. Reading on what all of you had said has helped me a little bit though i still have questions since I have never been on a quest for them or even the Divine (also want to know a little bit more about them) ,and hearing about them in Skyrim and also in the forums, I wanted to learn more because me being so curious. Also because I don't like being confused.
I suggest studying the Lore section of the UESP. It is far more accurate than the Wikia.

Lore:Main Page - UESPWiki

If you want any specific information on Lore, such as the Different Gods, please ask me, Dagmar if you see her online, or anyone else on the forums who is Lore wise, most of us are happy to help :)

Neveraine

BRINGER OF DEATH
There is one time when one of the divines fought one of the Daedra. This case happened in Oblivion, where the Daedra prince Mehrunes Dagon and his Mythic Cult tried to take over Tamriel. Portals from Dagon's realm in Oblivion started opening across Tamriel as he tried to basically incorporate Tamriel into his realm of Oblivion.
SPOILER FOR OBLIVION!
There was a pact that Akatosh made with the Septim line that as long as there was a Septim on the throne with the Amulet of Kings and with the Dragonfires lit, then Tamriel would be protected from Oblivion, otherwise Oblivion and chaos would come and swalllow up Tamriel, so the Mythic Cult assassinated members of the Septim family and stole the Amulet of Kings. Your job is to find a secret family member of the Septim family, get the Amulet of Kings and relight the Dragonfires. You get to the Dragonfires after fighting through denizens of Oblivion, but Mehrunes Dagon himself appears to stop you, so Martin Septim, the last of the Septim line, breaks the Amulet of Kings and becomes the avatar of Akatosh and then continues to throw Dagon back into Oblivion and close the gates of Oblivion forever before turning into stone.
Seeing as Martin was only an avatar of Akatosh and he still kicked Dagon's but, I would say the Divines are stronger than the Daedra.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts