• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I do luv my Den Moria whom I had intended to play as a Conjurer/Destruction mage with enchanting thrown in, but I am having trouble with the Conjuration thing. While I have no issue with the conjured weapons or even the Antronachs (although their range is so limited at the beginning that they hardly seem worth the effort - by the time I'm close enough to cast the spell, the enemy is already on me! - I know my range will get further once I get the perks), but I'm having trouble with the zombie/undead raise thing. I just can't seem to get it right. They don't seem to serve much of a purpose really.

Any advice on using this conjuration aspect?

Thanks much!

Daelon

AS88

Staff member
A big thing that is easy to forget:

If you're a mage, and you're raising undead melee fighters, always make sure they are actually in front of you and your enemies are aggro'ed to them, rather than you. This can be as simple as retreating behind them, depending on he situation.

Daelon DuLac

A big thing that is easy to forget:

If you're a mage, and you're raising undead melee fighters, always make sure they are actually in front of you and your enemies are aggro'ed to them, rather than you. This can be as simple as retreating behind them, depending on he situation.
That's really good advice! I hadn't thought of that.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
And make sure you don't loot them before you raise them, otherwise they attack the enemies with their fists whilst wearing nothing but their underpants.

Comical, yes, but wildly ineffective. Not that I ever made this mistake, of course.... **cough** :rolleyes:

Daelon DuLac

And make sure you don't loot them before you raise them, otherwise they attack the enemies with their fists whilst wearing nothing but their underpants.

Comical, yes, but wildly ineffective. Not that I ever made this mistake, of course.... **cough** :rolleyes:
:) I've done that. At that point they're little more than cannon fodder, although I did use one in bleak falls to distract the skeevers. Worked like a charm. :) That's why I like to raise animals (especially bears). They follow me around and attack my enemies then turn to ash and I take they're hides (although - oddly enough, you can reanimate them even after you took their hide - a skinless zombie bear? YIKES!).

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Your first priority as a necromancer / conjurer is your own safety. So try to keep your minions between you and your enemies as much as possible. I will often raise a body and run away.

When it comes to the combat aspect of necromancy I look at it in terms of battlefield management. I’m not there to cause damage. I’m there to support my follower, thralls, and or summons. Heal them if you can if one falls call in reinforcements.

TJ0331

Nords forever
Also if you have illusion magic you can buff your atronachs and undead minions.

Morgan

Yeah, um . . . me neither. Never once! ;)

Raising the dead really comes into its own when you couple it with Illusion though. You can Frenzy a group, and once there are a few bodies around, start raising them. As you mentioned, it's easiest once you've gotten the perk to extend the range, but that comes pretty early on.

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
When I'm starting out with Conjuration I pull a Serana and make zombies out of anything and everything as I go, whether I need them or not :p since they're not good for much at the beginning except helping you level up and buying you a moment to plan your next move...not until you start adding perks anyway.

In addition to not looting them beforehand, you can also place better weapons than they currently have in their inventory before casting the spell, since you can dig it out of the ash pile again afterwards.

Speaking of perks, if you intend to go all out with necromancy, definitely invest in the Dark Souls perk when you get to level 70 in Conjuration. It makes your reanimated undead considerably more durable by giving them another 100 points of health.

Funny undead story, BTW (how often do you get to say that?) - the last time Alvor in Riverwood was killed by a dragon, Serana reanimated him to help fight it. Once the dragon was dead, instead of staying with us, zombie Alvor turned around and walked calmly into The Sleeping Giant as though nothing had happened, then turned to ash inside. :confused: One last drink, Alvor?

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I've never really gotten into necromancy myself. To me, it seems that the zombies take too long to actually raise up to be of much help. I'd much rather summon an atronach because then i don't have to wait for backup.

But, I've always wanted to RP a necromancer, but anytime I've tried it, I've always reverted back to my old atromancer ways.

Plus, Dremora Lords kick all kinds of arse :p
"I honor my lord... by destroying you!"

With the silent casting perk you can re animate nearby undead from the safety of the shadows. Also, bonemen, mistmen and wrathmen all benefit from the necromancy perks, not the atromancy perks. The wrathman is on equal footing with a dremora lord as they use dragon bone weapons and have more health due to the necromancy perks.

Get Azhidals ring of necromancy, this makes your undead explode for 50 points of frost damage upon death. In times when you feel pressurized re animate animals if possible as they get to there feet much faster than humanoids. Dual casting a re animation spell not only more than doubles the re animation time, but it also more than doubles the level of undead affected. For example. If Raise Undead affected creatures up to level 5, then dual casted it would affect up to level 12.
Before leaving a battlefield, reanimate a powerful undead with dual cast, with the right perks this allows you to bring back a creature for 288 seconds, then in your next fight, you already have something to help you.
If you don't plan to use enchanting then get the necromancers amulet. From windhelm. Get the Atherium Crown, keep the ritual stone stored in it to allow you to summon all undead around you an infinite amount of times per day. Just un equip then equip to cancel the 24 hour cooldown period. Don't use the atronach stone! Since conjuration spells are treated as spell affects on you then there is a 50% chance the spell will not take affect!.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

TJ0331

Nords forever
I miss conjuring daedroths.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
Dual casting a re animation spell not only more than doubles the re animation time, but it also more than doubles the level of undead affected. For example. If Raise Undead affected creatures up to level 5, then dual casted it would affect up to level 12.

Don't use the atronach stone! Since conjuration spells are treated as spell affects on you then there is a 50% chance the spell will not take affect!.

I thought the dual-casting perk only increased duration? I've done a little research around google, and didn't find any information confirming that. Just curious, I wouldn't know since I've never taken the dual-casting perk for conjuration.

As for the spell-absorbing bug, it only affects summoned things, like atronachs and wrathmen, not raised zombies.

Admittedly I'm not 100% on the level affected, it was an assumption based on the fact that it works with Illusion. But I do know it don't just double the duration, it doubles it then adds 20%. Same with alteration, same with destruction. You have a point with the bug only affecting Conjured creatures though, my bad.

Daelon DuLac

With the silent casting perk you can re animate nearby undead from the safety of the shadows. Also, bonemen, mistmen and wrathmen all benefit from the necromancy perks, not the atromancy perks. The wrathman is on equal footing with a dremora lord as they use dragon bone weapons and have more health due to the necromancy perks.

Get Azhidals ring of necromancy, this makes your undead explode for 50 points of frost damage upon death. In times when you feel pressurized re animate animals if possible as they get to there feet much faster than humanoids. Dual casting a re animation spell not only more than doubles the re animation time, but it also more than doubles the level of undead affected. For example. If Raise Undead affected creatures up to level 5, then dual casted it would affect up to level 12.
Before leaving a battlefield, reanimate a powerful undead with dual cast, with the right perks this allows you to bring back a creature for 288 seconds, then in your next fight, you already have something to help you.
If you don't plan to use enchanting then get the necromancers amulet. From windhelm. Get the Atherium Crown, keep the ritual stone stored in it to allow you to summon all undead around you an infinite amount of times per day. Just un equip then equip to cancel the 24 hour cooldown period. Don't use the atronach stone! Since conjuration spells are treated as spell affects on you then there is a 50% chance the spell will not take affect!.

I do luv the *men. I used them often with my high level character after I visited the Soul Carn. They are excellent fodder.

I was reading about the Azhidal stuff last night and I am looking forward to it.

Need to get the crown for my current Den Moria.

At this point I have her (Den Moria): Altmer - conjurer/destruction with bound weapons & archery, light armor (vampire)
Urug'Hai - Orc/Companion/Tank - heavy/2 handed
Rhiannon - Breton conjurer/restoration robes/archery/bound weapons
Bah'Meht - Argonian - archery/two-handed/one-handed - sneak assassin

As you can see - I have two characters I really appreciate the conjuration advice on.

Thanks much!

LuChao

The Martial artist
I'm currently running a Necromage and am gonna rock the world with zombie slaves :D

Daelon DuLac

I'm currently running a Necromage and am gonna rock the world with zombie slaves :D
I hope you're on console 'cause I don't think a total of 2 zombies is gonna be able to take over the world. Two Dremora Lords, maybe, but 2 zombies? I don't think so.

LuChao

The Martial artist
I hope you're on console 'cause I don't think a total of 2 zombies is gonna be able to take over the world. Two Dremora Lords, maybe, but 2 zombies? I don't think so.

I only have PS3 since my laptop is to lame to play any Downloadable or installationed games

Daelon DuLac

I only have PS3 since my laptop is to lame to play any Downloadable or installationed games
I'm on PS3 too! I don't mind it at all (mods just confuse me :)). Okay, so you'll take over the world 2 zombies at a time. Sounds like a plan. :)

LuChao

The Martial artist
yup :D thats my plan