• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

PelagiusIV

Does anybody know if anywhere in Sky Haven Temple is safe storage? I know that "Technically" only places you buy are 100% safe, but seeing as you become a Blade member and can recruit new members, I thought it might work like a guild, were you're usually given at least one chest or wardrobe for storage.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I have no idea, the only way to really find out if the chests are safe is to drop something worthless in them & leave them for a week & see if they stay there.

PelagiusIV

I'll give it a try, question first though. I'm not really sure how the re-booting system works, do I have to not visit the Temple at all for a few weeks, or not enter the chest I put the item in?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Apparently chests or barrels that aren't in houses that you have bought reset after a couple of days. But in the case of the Sky Haven Temple & from what you said about becoming a Blade member and can recruit new members, you might be able to store items there.
But I don't know, I know one person who would possibly know & that is Dagmar as she is more experienced in this matter than I am.
Which is why I suggested storing worthless items there to see if they stay there or disappear.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
In the UESP wiki talk, it has been stated that the Blades EQ Chest is probably safe, but this hasn't yet been confirmed. Let me know if it is, and I'll add it to the safe containers list....(if tested thoroughly, i.e. after non revisiting the Temple for at least 10 days, and also after recruitment of new Blades member and then another leave of 10 days).

Also worthy of note :- Every single wardrobe, dresser, and cupboard in the game is safe...so if there are any of those is SHT, you could use those.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Also worthy of note :- Every single wardrobe, dresser, and cupboard in the game is safe...so if there are any of those is SHT, you could use those.

Are talking about just in homes you own & the Sky Haven Temple ?

Or are you talking about every single wardrobe, dresser, and cupboard everywhere ?
Because if you are talking about everywhere then your information is wrong as they reset after 2 days & that my friend has been proven many times.

Drewski

Are talking about just in homes you own & the Sky Haven Temple ?

Or are you talking about every single wardrobe, dresser, and cupboard everywhere ?
Because if you are talking about everywhere then your information is wrong as they reset after 2 days & that my friend has been proven many times.

Well I was just quoting from the UESP wiki on the wardrobes, dressers and cupboards, because these are apparently all coded to be non respawning (I've never really tested this myself). So I can't really argue from personal experience, and also don't have the PC version to check any code, but if your friends info can be proven to be correct, then the page/article needs a vast revision....

You know I'm going to have to test that out myself don't you...curse you Devious ;)

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Well, I've only been playing for 20 weeks solely on the Xbox 360, but I know that wardrobes, dressers, cupboards, barrels, chests, etc in places that I don't own reset after 2 days. I learnt that the hard way.

redrkt

Premium Member
I have stored stuff at SHT many times (use the chest in the side room where you first get your blades armor and Dragonsbane) and it has still been there many many months (in-game) later. So I would think that since only the blades can access SHT then your items should be safe there.

Necromis

karthspire, I think it is called, Where you fast travel into before walking into SHT has a chest right there and I know that the area does not respawn baddies. I have some items in it to see if it will respawn or is safe, but to my understanding if an area does not respawn baddies its containers are safe.

redrkt

Premium Member
karthspire, I think it is called, Where you fast travel into before walking into SHT has a chest right there and I know that the area does not respawn baddies. I have some items in it to see if it will respawn or is safe, but to my understanding if an area does not respawn baddies its containers are safe.

Uhhh Karthspire does respawn baddies

Necromis

Hmm, and I just saw that SHT does respawn, too. 10 days. Maybe that room I am talking about, with the seal is not considered part of karthspire, and is part of SHT, too. Anywhoo as of tomorrow I should know if that is a safe chest or not, and it is at such a nice easy reachable place, too.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I never bought a house. I have used the following, played through most of the game (300+ hours), no -re-spawn:

-Wardrobes and cupboards in unoccupied rooms in Halls of Attainment and Countenance, C of Winterhold.
-Wardrobe in Dragonsreach, main hall.
-Cupboard in Guard Barracks, Whiterun entrance.
-Cupboard in Jorvaskr living quarters

All these containers are safe. I think any furniture indoors in friendly locations is safe.

Playing on PC.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Since the Creation Kit came out, some contributors to the UESP Skyrim Wiki website have put together an article on containers and a page on safe locations. Apparently the Creation Kit allows you to look at the coding of containers and locations to determine whether a container is "safe," i.e. that it will not respawn its contents. The following are some general observations from reading the article:

1. There are certain types of containers that are not coded to respawn regardless of location. These include coffins, cupboards, dressers, end tables, strongboxes, and wardrobes. Containers confirmed to have respawn coding in them include apothecary's satchels, barrels, chests, sacks and satchels.

2. There are certain locations that are in the game that are non-respawning locations. This overrides respawn coding in any containers at the location so any container in a safe location is safe for long-term storage.

Sky Haven Temple is not listed on the safe locations page and while I don't know if the page is comprehensive or still a work in progress the safe bet would be to assume that the contributors looked at all the obvious places that a player might want to use for long term storage of items which would have included Sky Haven Temple.

One additional note, respawn timers will reset whenever you enter their cell (a defined area surrounding them, usually the entire zone) so if a chest doesn't reset for months it doesn't mean it's safe in the sense that it wont ever respawn. It just means that you are revisiting the cell often enough to reset the timer. As a practical matter that may make it safe for the player. e.g. if the timer is over 10 days and the player always enters the cell on at least a weekly basis, but if for whatever reason the player is away longer, the items will be lost when the container respawns its contents.

Drewski

Since the Creation Kit came out, some contributors to the UESP Skyrim Wiki website have put together an article on containers and a page on safe locations. Apparently the Creation Kit allows you to look at the coding of containers and locations to determine whether a container is "safe," i.e. that it will not respawn its contents. The following are some general observations from reading the article:

1. There are certain types of containers that are not coded to respawn regardless of location. These include coffins, cupboards, dressers, end tables, strongboxes, and wardrobes. Containers confirmed to have respawn coding in them include apothecary's satchels, barrels, chests, sacks and satchels.

2. There are certain locations that are in the game that are non-respawning locations. This overrides respawn coding in any containers at the location so any container in a safe location is safe for long-term storage.

Sky Haven Temple is not listed on the safe locations page and while I don't know if the page is comprehensive or still a work in progress the safe bet would be to assume that the contributors looked at all the obvious places that a player might want to use for long term storage of items which would have included Sky Haven Temple.

One additional note, respawn timers will reset whenever you enter their cell (a defined area surrounding them, usually the entire zone) so if a chest doesn't reset for months it doesn't mean it's safe in the sense that it wont ever respawn. It just means that you are revisiting the cell often enough to reset the timer. As a practical matter that may make it safe for the player. e.g. if the timer is over 10 days and the player always enters the cell on at least a weekly basis, but if for whatever reason the player is away longer, the items will be lost when the container respawns its contents.

Which is why I get confused when Devious states categorically that this isn't true (and I've edited/written for quite a few of those pages). I'm not doubting him, since he has (if proven) probably the most hrs on Skyrim of anyone in the whole world. I code for a living, so I could see the facts very quickly, but I vowed to never buy Skyrim for PC, basically because my modding for CIV, The Total War Series and The Railroad Tycoon series ALREADY takes up more time than my job ;)

I've asked for confirmation on the UESP wiki pages of the global safe containers (i.e. Wardrobes, Dressers, Side Tables and Cupboards)

Dagmar

I just downloaded the Creation Kit, loaded the Skyrim data files into it, and took a quick look at some containers and it and it would seem the articles I cited and linked above from the UESP Skyrim Wiki are works in progress. A simple example of this is the chest at Sky Haven Temple. Previously I had tested the chest for up to 30 days with no respawning occurring. After reading the article on containers I simply assumed it had a really long timer but look at this screenshot I took of of the Creation Kit:

7069287347_f7cf9979f2_b.jpg

In fairness to the contributors of the container article, I really don't have much of a grasp of the Creation Kit so this screenshot may not be definitive but it certainly casts some doubt in my mind as to the reliability of the information posted in the containers article and I'm going to be raising some questions on the discussion page.

Dagmar

Which is why I get confused when Devious states categorically that this isn't true (and I've edited/written for quite a few of those pages). I'm not doubting him, since he has (if proven) probably the most hrs on Skyrim of anyone in the whole world....
The generic varieties of those containers will not respawn:

6923291066_7cd354fc5a_b.jpg

That being said, there may be variants that do respawn just as there are variants on chests that don't respawn.

Drewski

Thank you Dagmar...we should both report this (I certainly will). i always assumed the broadstroke of the containers above was just too, well broad ...