PC What did I do to Eorlund?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gedden

I was minding my own business and was suddenly attacked by a trio of orcs. After dispatching them, I found a contract on one of them. It seems Eorlund Grey-Mane thinks I am a thief and hired these thugs to attack me! I confronted the guy with whom I thought I had a decent relationship. He acted like nothing was wrong, and I had no way to confront him about this! As much as I want to take the guy out and hide his body so that he won't be trying to kill me again, I feel like I want to hear what he has to say about this. Anyone know how I can get this information? What did I do to piss him off?

EDIT: Apparently I posted this in the wrong forum. Wish there was a delete option. Please move it to the help forum. Sorry - newbie mistake.

Wildroses

I'm afraid you are never going to be able to talk to Eorlund about why he sent the hired thugs. Every time you steal something in Skyrim, there is a chance an NPC will send hired thugs after you. Nearly every NPC in Skyrim is capable of doing so. As Bethesda did not wish to have to add hours worth of NPC dialogue covering every single person being able to talk about this issue, they chose not to make it possible for you to confront them.

And when I say every NPC, I really mean EVERY NPC. I once had the Stormcloak Courier send Hired Thugs after me after I pickpocketed his orders from him. I've also heard that guards will send Hired Thugs after you and sign the contract [Town] Guard. It's also possible for dead NPCs to send Hired Thugs after you. I've heard that Anise, Calixo and Forsworn Briarhearts have been known to send Hired Thugs for thefts which occurred after they died (usually at the players hand).

This is only supposed to happen when you steal something from the NPC. Did you steal anything from Jorrvaskr or the Grey-Mane house? It's possible you might have stolen something without realising. Skyrim is full of little things like plates, tankards, candlesticks and flowers it is easy to accidentally pick up when you are aiming for something else, or might not notice is marked as 'steal' if it is in a pile of takeable things. I once accidentally stole a tankard off the bar when I was trying to talk to Orgnar, and even though I dropped it straight away he still sent hired thugs after me. Never has the sentence: "You need not kill her, but I have no qualms about it if you deem it necessary" annoyed me so much.

MiniPea

The Dark Lord of Skyrim
I can only assume you stole something from the Companions or the Grey-Manes. I don't think there is anything that is particularly his that you can take.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
meh, he'll get over it.

Gedden

Hmm. I suppose I might have accidentally picked something up, although I do try to reload if that happens. Seems a bit extreme to send someone to beat me up (kill me) over a moved goblet.

Thanks for the responses.