Review Top 5 games like Skyrim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Elpisaur

Hello everybody, I had just finished putting together a video on youtube, briefly showcasing my top 5 picks for games that are very similar to Skyrim,
I thought you guys from the skyrim forums community might want to check these out
smile.png

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
Here's my thoughts. Take it or leave it:

You didn't really do a comprehensive comparison of the games to Skyrim. For a person who hasn't played any of those games and only bothered to research Dark Souls in the past, I didn't really get a sense of the features similar or missing from those titles.

For instance, you only bothered to mention whether the world was open or not on a couple titles. That is kinda big to me as that is generally the core of my Skyrim experience. You didn't mention skill-trees at all. Based on my previous research I know that Dark Souls has a tree of some sort but I don't know whether the other games mimic Skyrim in that effect.

You didn't mention graphics with the exception of the first game. The release date of the games would have been nice as well.

Gamplay mechanics themselves could easily surpass Skyrim which you mentioned in at least one of the game reviews, but you didn't bother pointing it out for all of them.

How about character creation? Typically, games with pre-rendered cutscenes are not going to allow much character customization (I expect from what you showed from the Witcher you are stuck with the one face).

One of the biggest reasons most of the folks here are still playing Skyrim is the role-playing possibilities. I can choose whether or not I want to any and every quest I come across (including the main quest). Certain dungeons and areas might not be accessible if I choose to follow a path that rejects the quest but not very much is off limits. I think you should have at least mentioned in your review if such possibilities exist within the titles named. For instance, I expect the games that force you to follow the storyline to progress to new lands are not going to work well with the role-playing folks.

As I said, take it or leave it. This is just my impression, as a person who has never played any of those games.

Elpisaur

Here's my thoughts. Take it or leave it:

You didn't really do a comprehensive comparison of the games to Skyrim. For a person who hasn't played any of those games and only bothered to research Dark Souls in the past, I didn't really get a sense of the features similar or missing from those titles.

For instance, you only bothered to mention whether the world was open or not on a couple titles. That is kinda big to me as that is generally the core of my Skyrim experience. You didn't mention skill-trees at all. Based on my previous research I know that Dark Souls has a tree of some sort but I don't know whether the other games mimic Skyrim in that effect.

You didn't mention graphics with the exception of the first game. The release date of the games would have been nice as well.

Gamplay mechanics themselves could easily surpass Skyrim which you mentioned in at least one of the game reviews, but you didn't bother pointing it out for all of them.

How about character creation? Typically, games with pre-rendered cutscenes are not going to allow much character customization (I expect from what you showed from the Witcher you are stuck with the one face).

One of the biggest reasons most of the folks here are still playing Skyrim is the role-playing possibilities. I can choose whether or not I want to any and every quest I come across (including the main quest). Certain dungeons and areas might not be accessible if I choose to follow a path that rejects the quest but not very much is off limits. I think you should have at least mentioned in your review if such possibilities exist within the titles named. For instance, I expect the games that force you to follow the storyline to progress to new lands are not going to work well with the role-playing folks.

As I said, take it or leave it. This is just my impression, as a person who has never played any of those games.
Oh man, the entire time I was creating this I was fully aware that I missed all these things, thank you for mentioning them.
The reason I did include them is I was just trying to highlight what some of the best features from each game are, and I was thinking that everybody would on their own further research a game who's trailer seems appealing to them.

Edit: if I were to include all of the mentioned above, the video would've been atleast 20 minutes in length.

Manmangler

My opinions (not facts)

Gothic games I did not said that arcania is like skyrim. Ok arcania is ok game, I have buyed and played it(it more like Dark messiahmight and magic, linear but good game). Older like Gothic 3 is more like skyrim. Sad that game was releaseds buggy as ***. Now most mods have fixet it or so called community patches.

Fable 3, seriously. Worst sequel ever, Azuras sake, dont touch it. Lets dance lets dance and once again DANCE. Fable 2 was good game, but how this could be so wasted.

For skyrim like games I except, non linear story and missions, open world, freedom, player house to live/settle.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
My opinions (not facts)

Gothic games I did not said that arcania is like skyrim. Ok arcania is ok game, I have buyed and played it(it more like Dark messiahmight and magic, linear but good game). Older like Gothic 3 is more like skyrim. Sad that game was releaseds buggy as ***. Now most mods have fixet it or so called community patches.

Fable 3, seriously. Worst sequel ever, Azuras sake, dont touch it. Lets dance lets dance and once again DANCE. Fable 2 was good game, but how this could be so wasted.

For skyrim like games I except, non linear story and missions, open world, freedom, player house to live/settle.

Gotta agree on Fable 3... biggest letdown ever after Fable 2. My son and I just sat there speechless at how bad it was.

As far as the video, I'm a sucker for Top 10 lists and yours was pretty good. Content could have been researched better and given a little more body like W'rk mentioned but you have a good voice for it and you have a confidence in your voice that will serve you well down the road if you stick with it. Consider also that most if not all of the people watching your stuff already have a strong working knowledge of gaming in general so research will be your best friend to help share more obscure facts and comparisons.

Keep it up!

Elpisaur

My opinions (not facts)

Gotta agree on Fable 3... biggest letdown ever after Fable 2. My son and I just sat there speechless at how bad it was.

As far as the video, I'm a sucker for Top 10 lists and yours was pretty good. Content could have been researched better and given a little more body like W'rk mentioned but you have a good voice for it and you have a confidence in your voice that will serve you well down the road if you stick with it. Consider also that most if not all of the people watching your stuff already have a strong working knowledge of gaming in general so research will be your best friend to help share more obscure facts and comparisons.

Keep it up!
:) Thank you man.
And to be completely honest, I may be missing a great deal of knowledge because I have yet to play any of the games mentioned in my list for longer than 10 minutes-an hour each, before dropping them, putting aside Dark Souls 2. I thought it was a great game.

Before creating my next list, i'll for sure use a hand from forums members on here to help me create a better, more accurate one.

I have zero confidence in my voice though, to me, being 17 and only as of recently listening to my actual voice through recordings, it sounded way too high and odd which made me REALLY insecure to be completely honest. lol

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Haven't watched the video yet, but here's what I'm expecting:

1. Fallout
2. Fallout
3. Fallout
4. Fallout
5. Fallout

Right?

<3FALLOUT

Manmangler

Dont worry about Your voice. Your voice is good. That review is much better than 80% of that kind.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas is very skyrim like games Fallout 3 = Oblivion with guns.

And dont care what about peoples say your choices, theyre are your opinions. And you know what they say about opinions...

Many Elder Scroll fans cry about Skyrim and dumbed down (Which is it), but it is still very good game. We oldies remember how artifacts were really artifacts (Price and effects), no map makers, no compas, more dialog, can kill everybody (Even quest essential NPC) etc...

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Haven't watched the video yet, but here's what I'm expecting:

1. Fallout
2. Fallout
3. Fallout
4. Fallout
5. Fallout

Right?

<3FALLOUT
No. We're looking for sword & sorcery (and possibly dragons, demons and trolls), not shooters. I understand that Fallout is great, I've even played it, but, sorry, no guns for me, no bombs, no bazooka's (or whatever they are). I got bored in 5 minutes. It was like some war game with minor rollplay elements. To quote my other half: "Why did you choose a game where it's even easier to kill everything than Skyrim? Just go play Oblivion, I'm tired of the gunshots and explosions." :)

Daelon DuLac

Dont worry about Your voice. Your voice is good. That review is much better than 80% of that kind.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas is very skyrim like games Fallout 3 = Oblivion with guns.

And dont care what about peoples say your choices, theyre are your opinions. And you know what they say about opinions...

Many Elder Scroll fans cry about Skyrim and dumbed down (Which is it), but it is still very good game. We oldies remember how artifacts were really artifacts (Price and effects), no map makers, no compas, more dialog, can kill everybody (Even quest essential NPC) etc...
In what way can you possibly be like "Oblivion with guns". Isn't that half of the joy of games like Skyrim and Oblivion? There are thousands of shooters out there and they take no imagination. Blow 'em away. That's all.

I just don't understand. When I played Fallout I was bored in 20 minutes. Either I was shooting something or something was shooting at me. Of course it doesn't help that I'm a major opponent of guns in the first place. Shooters are great if you like to do your fighting at range, but not so good up close. I just wished there were more up close and personal options. There probably are, but I didn't find any other than some weird club like thing that really didn't even work very well.

Daelon DuLac

BTW Elpisaur - thank you for the review, as criticized as it has been, I enjoyed it and you've convinced me to try Dark Souls. Can't do Witcher (which I would love to) as I'm still on PS3, but who knows on PS4. The snippets and vague references DID make me do some further research. I already own all but Dark Souls, but I have, as yet, not played any of them.

Delusional

No. We're looking for sword & sorcery (and possibly dragons, demons and trolls), not shooters. I understand that Fallout is great, I've even played it, but, sorry, no guns for me, no bombs, no bazooka's (or whatever they are). I got bored in 5 minutes. It was like some war game with minor rollplay elements. To quote my other half: "Why did you choose a game where it's even easier to kill everything than Skyrim? Just go play Oblivion, I'm tired of the gunshots and explosions." :)

Or, you could learn how to interpret jokes. Either or.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delusional

I just don't understand. When I played Fallout I was bored in 20 minutes. Either I was shooting something or something was shooting at me. Of course it doesn't help that I'm a major opponent of guns in the first place. Shooters are great if you like to do your fighting at range, but not so good up close. I just wished there were more up close and personal options. There probably are, but I didn't find any other than some weird club like thing that really didn't even work very well.

If you had even given the game a chance, you wouldn't be criticizing it as harshly and bluntly as you are now. Fallout has a very in-depth story and world, you just have to learn to look beyond the actual, physical elements of the game. Just like Skyrim or Oblivion. There's a whole world of lore beyond just slashing at things with swords or shooting at things with guns. Your opinion, while somewhat valid, is laced with the stench of hypocrisy. Saying Fallout is nothing but shooting things is like saying Skyrim is nothing but stabbing things.

Daelon DuLac

Or, you could learn how to interpret jokes. Either or.

Nah... I'd rather be a clueless curmudgeon. I've been practicing and finally hit my nitch at 25. I know it's a little early, but it works for me! :)

Daelon DuLac

If you had even given the game a chance, you wouldn't be criticizing it as harshly and bluntly as you are now. Fallout has a very in-depth story and world, you just have to learn to look beyond the actual, physical elements of the game. Just like Skyrim or Oblivion. There's a whole world of lore beyond just slashing at things with swords or shooting at things with guns. Your opinion, while somewhat valid, is laced with the stench of hypocrisy. Saying Fallout is nothing but shooting things is like saying Skyrim is nothing but stabbing things.

Oh, I do agree with you. The story and mechanics are awesome and there are inumerable opportunities for RP. Don't get me wrong. If you're in to that sort of thing, you really can't go wrong with Fallout.

Re your last comment: You mean Skyrim isn't just about stabbing things? Oh, and don't forget crushing things with big hammers too! I really should learn to play it differently. :)

Daelon DuLac

I'll make a deal with you. I will shut up until I play through the entire Fallout and Fallout New Vegas saga and then I'll start criticizing (or not). No more from me until then. You are right that dedicating 2 hours to it, probably isn't enough to get the full experience. Apologies.

Delusional

I'll make a deal with you. I will shut up until I play through the entire Fallout and Fallout New Vegas saga and then I'll start criticizing (or not). No more from me until then. You are right that dedicating 2 hours to it, probably isn't enough to get the full experience. Apologies.

There you go. Give the game a shot, explore the background, lore, and all the hidden gems within the game before claiming its full and not as in-depth as Skyrim is. If you still think that after playing it, that's absolutely fine, perhaps the level of lore or background isn't up to your standards, but at least you will experience and see that it exists beyond the incessant shooting.

Daelon DuLac

There you go. Give the game a shot, explore the background, lore, and all the hidden gems within the game before claiming its full and not as in-depth as Skyrim is. If you still think that after playing it, that's absolutely fine, perhaps the level of lore or background isn't up to your standards, but at least you will experience and see that it exists beyond the incessant shooting.

More than anything else, it's the hi-tech weaponry that gets on my nerves I think. I've never been one for shooters. Since I own 'em, I probably shoudl play 'em, eh? I had the same issue with Assassins Creed, but got over it. :)

Delusional

More than anything else, it's the hi-tech weaponry that gets on my nerves I think. I've never been one for shooters. Since I own 'em, I probably shoudl play 'em, eh? I had the same issue with Assassins Creed, but got over it. :)

Yeah, the guns and futuristic setting often turn Elder Scrolls fans off of the game. after all, part of the reason everyone likes Elder Scrolls is because of the medieval setting, and Fallout is the furthest thing from that as possible. Though, I for one love Fallout's setting and time period. 1950s culture mixed with futuristic technology. Jukeboxes, vintage cars and jazz mixed with power armor, laser weapons and mini nukes. What a mix.

Elpisaur

BTW Elpisaur - thank you for the review, as criticized as it has been, I enjoyed it and you've convinced me to try Dark Souls. Can't do Witcher (which I would love to) as I'm still on PS3, but who knows on PS4. The snippets and vague references DID make me do some further research. I already own all but Dark Souls, but I have, as yet, not played any of them.

Glad I was able to influence somebody :) thank you for the comments mate.
And yes, I didn't include fallout in there because I was more after games that had a medieval-dragon theme to them, rather than.. a FPS, post apocalyptic game with SOME elements from Skyrim. o_O.

Thank you everybody for your comments, they've honestly been pushing me to get more into youtube and in the past week, i've gained more views than I did before in 3 months, I can see my analytics going up :)