The Battlemage - A Massacre In Skyrim (Character Build)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Balance

Own Face.
Originally posted on my website, if you like what you read here, why not go check it out afterwards?

The Battlemage - A Massacre In Skyrim

No matter what game I'm playing, I always find myself trying to discover the ultimate hybrid build - that perfect balance between offense, defense, and utility. Usually, this is a vain pursuit as it's not often that I find myself in games that allow for as much flexibility as Skyrim does - but alas, here we are. After nearly 100 hours of game play, I think I've got it.

A crucial step in developing your character is making your way to the Lover's stone and receiving that blessing as soon as possible. The +15% to ALL skill experience will prevent you from out leveling one sign's abilities over another. If you don't know where the stone is, adventure around a bit. If you're lazy or ready to give up, a quick google search will point you to it. Until you can get the Lover's blessing, go with the Warrior's stone. That will provide you the maximum benefit, as the magical abilities listed below will level quickly through their own use.

I HIGHLY suggest playing a Breton for this build - not only for the increased magic resistance, but also for the extra magicka and the 25-level Conjuration skill they start with. All other races will initially be at a disadvantage, and will have to catch up accordingly.

It's important to note that this build doesn't utilize sneak at all. You run around, an unstoppable powerhouse of destruction and generally lay waste to an entire room of enemies fairly quickly. Timing your blocks will be key, as with all melee's.

Also key is finding the right follower, I highly suggest another magic user that summons, and can support you with ranged spells. There are plenty of such followers around Skyrim.
Defense

Heavy Armor

You'll notice that armor skills don't raise very quickly unless you stand around getting hit a lot. However, your enemies usually die before they get many hits off on you. Once you progress your overall character a few levels, you can stand around weaker enemies and let them hit you, while healing yourself with restoration spells.

Take Heavy Armor perks when they become available to you, but not at a cost to other perks. I'll say this again, go ahead and buy Heavy Armor perks only when you have EVERY OTHER perk relevant to your character purchased.

When selecting Heavy Armor perks, take the first point in Juggernaut, and then work your way up the right-hand side of the skill tree, taking Well Fitted, Tower of Strength, Matching Set and Reflect blows perks when they become available. Don't bother with the left side of the tree, if you find your character moves too slow, get a horse.

Block

There really aren't any words to describe how crucial shield-blocking is in Skyrim. Well timed blocks make or break most fights for melee characters. Your goal here is to get to the Elemental Protection perk at Block level 50, as this will allow you outright ignore magic-based enemies until you've killed everything else. Once this perk is purchased, you can select others throughout the block tree at your discretion. Much like Heavy Armor, only take Block perks when you have ensured your offensive and support capabilities have been maxed.

Offense

Conjuration
Your main source of damage comes not only from conjured minions, but also from conjured weapons. Your first perk point should be in Novice Conjuration, with the intention to get yourself to the Mystic Binding, and Apprentice Conjuration perks as soon as possible. The easiest way to do this is to summon your familiar at the beginning of every fight, and ensure he see's combat versus an enemy by standing back a second or two. If he dies, summon him again until you're out of magicka, this will build your conjuration the fastest until you get bound sword (Conjuration 25), which when cast in/during combat will provide you with 3/4 of a skill level in Conjuration per cast until level ~50.

The combination of Mystic Binding for improved bound weapon damage, and your summoned minions will provide exceptional damage output. Bound sword, your primary source of damage, will benefit from One Handed perks in the warrior tree.​
*Note - My favorite minion is the Flame Atronach, which assists not only by dealing fire damage to everything around it, but also by laying down ranged-attacks against dragons and other foe's that can otherwise be hard for melee-based characters to engage.​
Oblivion Binding and Soul Stealer are two excellent perks related to bound weapons. Oblivion Binding ensures you almost never have to worry about summoned or undead enemies again, while Soul Stealer will provide you a nearly infinite pool of soul shards for enchanting.​
One-Handed

The real beauty of this build comes from the perks in this tree and their synergy with Bound Weapons. Bound Sword is your primary source of damage and will benefit from all sword-applicable perks. As such, you should take them all when they become available. This especially includes Armsman, Fighting Stance, and Bladesman. Again, take these perks as they become available. If it wasn't already clear, your offensive capabilities should be the focus of your perk points with your utility abilities being your second focus and defense your third.

Utility

Restoration
Starting at the bottom with Novice Restoration, you can more or less ignore the higher-level casting cost reduction perks until you feel the novice spells are becoming more trouble then they are worth to you when casting (It's taking you too long to heal yourself). Focus on Regeneration, Dual Casting, and Respite for combat healing. As a general rule, avoid anything related to wards as they're completely useless. The Recovery perk can be a nice addition to a battle mage that doesn't want to enchant their heavy armor with magicka regeneration or fortification.​
Enchanting
Everything in this tree is good. However wait until later levels to start purchasing it. DO NOT waste perks in Enchanting before level 25, not only will you not be level 100 and unable to dual-enchant your equipment, but you'll find yourself almost gimping your combat abilities by taking non-essential perks at a time when they really can't benefit you.​
*NOTE - With Soul Stealer, you will level enchanting fairly quickly as a result of a nearly unlimited supply of soul shards at your disposal.​

You can do a lot with enchants, and in this build its important to pick things that suit your play style. It's also important to note you'll probably be level 30 or so before you'll have enchanting to a point where it'll be extremely useful.​

*NOTE - One downside is that you can NOT enchant your bound sword, which could leave you feeling a little weaker then anticipated. The bound sword will do more damage then anything else you'll find (that isn't already enchanted.) .So be on the lookout for another one handed sword that you'd like to make your own.​
Leveling Up

You should aim for 200 points of magicka, and an even dispersal of health and stamina for shield blocking and power attacks.

The build requires a 'buffing' before combat, however its really not as cumbersome as it sounds. You can handle most fights on your own by simply assigning bound sword to your right hand, and a shield to your left. Bringing in the bound sword once enemies see you will guarantee a conjuration skill increase, as will hacking away at them with it once its summoned.

This plays a lot like a standard One Handed/Shield fighter, but with the magic from the conjuration school backing you up, you'll find that you're really a powerhouse in almost all situations.

One last thing, there are a few quest reward conjuration spells, the most notable being 'flaming familiar'. I won't spoil it for you, but you need this spell. It's not very damaging, but it's hilarious.

I like the idea, and have been toying around with various kinds of Conjuration warriors and archer/mages. Given the armor level cap, did you pick Heavy armor for any particular reason? It seems like light armor might fit the feel of someone relying on ethereal weaponry, and contrary to some, I think Dragonscale armor looks good on that kind of character. I could certainly see Heavy being preferred aesthetically if one wanted to go for a "Death Knight" sort of feel, maybe conjuring only undead or flame atronachs alongside the bound weapons. Thoughts?

Panthera

Don Gato
I kinda find ward quite useful against other mages. For melee enemys dragonhide (depeneds of the lvl). there is posibility to invest only 8 perks in enchanting tree, for enchanting item with 25% less cost casting. If you enchant 4 items with 25% less cost of casting you can cast spells for free. Which I'm trying now, but first I need to find item only with one enchanting on it.

The Balance

Own Face.
Going to go ahead and quote myself here, should sum up my opinion of wards:

"They put wards into this game too. Spells that take up a hand and let you block other spells. Every character comes with two wards, the A and D buttons, which safely let you dodge every spell in the game except lightning-based ones, which don't hamper physical damage dealers in any way, and are really just invitations to smear the caster's face on the ground with a hammer."

From my overall Skyrim review published a few weeks ago. Here's the link if you're interested on the whole thing.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
Very interesting. I'm trying to make a battlemage at the moment and I think I'll use the ideas from this article.

Would you consider levelling Alteration as well for the -skin buffs? Is it worth the effort given that you'll be forfeiting Mage Armor?

E: Also, how do you deal with ranged targets? Do you leave it to your followers or would you work on Destruction or Archery? I guess archery makes sense once you can conjure Bound Bows.

Panthera

Don Gato
Very interesting. I'm trying to make a battlemage at the moment and I think I'll use the ideas from this article.

Would you consider levelling Alteration as well for the -skin buffs? Is it worth the effort given that you'll be forfeiting Mage Armor?

E: Also, how do you deal with ranged targets? Do you leave it to your followers or would you work on Destruction or Archery? I guess archery makes sense once you can conjure Bound Bows.

I'll give you my opinion only about alteration. If you go for battlemage alteration is one of the most important skill you need for defense from magical attacks. Resitance 30% + if you have breton like The balance said you have 55% resistance to magic + you can select lord stone givnig you adtional 25% resistence (switch when you go on quest where you know your enemy will use magic), which maks you 80% resitant to magic... If you considering having heavy armor than you don't need skin buffs.

The Balance

Own Face.
I've completed the college of winterhold quests on a few characters, I really think the followers there are among the best in the game. I have yet to do the companions quest, not only because I think "The Companions" is a terrible name for a 'guild' in the game, but because not many of my characters are pure fighters and fit that persona.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
One more thing. Can you use a normal sword instead of bound sword at least in lower levels, as a sort of alternative?

harpwood

What I think about battle-mage (I consider battle mage the front line mage not needing companion/follower/tank support):

I preffer Illusion school instead of conjuration. Anorthodox battle style using "mayhem" spell to weak the enemy lines or/and "muffle"+"invisibility" to penetrate their lines. You can also cast "soul trap" as they kill each other :D and/or "paralyze" for extra crowd control.

For me, conjuration is a waste of perks. Summons and bound weapons are weak. You can enchant the most powerful swords, bows, etc with "extra effect" enchanting perk. I suggest trying to enchant with absord health, mana or stamina or your needs. Soul trap is not a mana consuming spell, so you do not have to spend any perk on conjuration unless you preffer to play as a conjurer and not as a battle mage.

Light armor instead of heavy armor cause of encumbrance as you should invest only 10 levels stamina (350 carryweight total).

Focus at 500 mana 200 HP and 200 stamina, and then boost them with "extra effect" enchaning (eg fortify magicka and 25% less casting cost on helmet, fortify magicka and 25% less casting cost on gloves, fortify stamina and 25% less casting cost on boots and fortify health and 25% less casting cost on armor) plus 2 more gear to enchant (ring and amulet) depending on your needs or you taste

If you have "master of mind" illusion perk you do not need "turn undead"

If you have "atronach" alteration spell you absorb mana from hostile spells (more mana than you need to heal yourself)

I do not recoment using any shield. The left hand should be free for casting (eg paralyze) while you have your favorite weapon at your right hand...

---------------------------------------------------------

I also suggest the following key binding:

1. you favorite weapon
2. paralyze spell
3. offensive destruction spell (fire or ice)
4. offensive destruction spell (lighting)
5. healing spell
6. invisibility or ward spell (depends if you have spellcaster enemies)
7. soul trap spell
8. detect life or dead spell (depends on dungeon)

everything else you usualy use should be in favorites menu ;)

So while adventuring first you press 8 and you have the detect spell on left hand.
when you detect more than one enemie, cast mayhem or frenzy so they kill each other.
when they kill each other press 6 and cast invisibility spell (first muffle if you wear armor) and approach them while sneeking, press 7 and cast soul trap on them. Usualy they are too busy to notice you. then wait invisible for the last standing enemy while you easyly collect the souls. The last standing enemy is for sure the strongest but he is weaker from the battle so you can sneak attack him to make him even weaker and then press 2 paralyse him and finish him with your sword or with your destruction spells. Is you want to raise you light armor, let him hit you for a while, press 5 to heal yourself as he hits you.

With the above technique you raise the following skills:

Illusion (frenzy, muffle, invisibility spells)
alteration (paralyze spell)
sneek (while sneeking)
light armor
one-handed weapons
destruction
restoration (healing spells)
conjuration (soul trap spell)

Panthera

Don Gato
What I think about battle-mage (I consider battle mage the front line mage not needing companion/follower/tank support):

I preffer Illusion school instead of conjuration. Anorthodox battle style using "mayhem" spell to weak the enemy lines or/and "muffle"+"invisibility" to penetrate their lines. You can also cast "soul trap" as they kill each other :D and/or "paralyze" for extra crowd control.

For me, conjuration is a waste of perks. Summons and bound weapons are weak. You can enchant the most powerful swords, bows, etc with "extra effect" enchanting perk. I suggest trying to enchant with absord health, mana or stamina or your needs. Soul trap is not a mana consuming spell, so you do not have to spend any perk on conjuration unless you preffer to play as a conjurer and not as a battle mage.

Light armor instead of heavy armor cause of encumbrance as you should invest only 10 levels stamina (350 carryweight total).

Focus at 500 mana 200 HP and 200 stamina, and then boost them with "extra effect" enchaning (eg fortify magicka and 25% less casting cost on helmet, fortify magicka and 25% less casting cost on gloves, fortify stamina and 25% less casting cost on boots and fortify health and 25% less casting cost on armor) plus 2 more gear to enchant (ring and amulet) depending on your needs or you taste

If you have "master of mind" illusion perk you do not need "turn undead"

If you have "atronach" alteration spell you absorb mana from hostile spells (more mana than you need to heal yourself)

I do not recoment using any shield. The left hand should be free for casting (eg paralyze) while you have your favorite weapon at your right hand...

I like the way you think... I was bothered with the idea being a battlemage but all you do sit back and conjure minions... for me thats not a battle, thats more like chess play. I don't understand etiher why would people need a shield while playing chess.

Also I agree on light armor, you can have more enchatnted armors. For example one set would have helmet with 25% less cost on restoration and 25% less cost in destruction, armor, ring and amulet with the same enchantmens. 2nd would have all the same except one change. Instead restration pick illusion or other skill you need. All the will give you 0 cost on chosen magic skill.

harpwood

Thank you for your answer. Last minute, I expanded my post with a more detailed strategy. I am sorry that i did it while you were answering to me :sadface:...

I did not define the 25% cast less cost because it depends on each individual's playing... Sure it is best to choose a school to all 4 parts so you can have 0 mana cost an that particular school. In my case I preffer destruction since the best defence if the offense when things are tough and the 5th is illusion as you already suggested. We agree completely :D ...

Panthera

Don Gato
Thank you for your answer. Last minute, I expanded my post with a more detailed strategy. I am sorry that i did it while you were answering to me :sadface:...

I did not define the 25% cast less cost because it depends on each individual's playing... Sure it is best to choose a school to all 4 parts so you can have 0 mana cost an that particular school. In my case I preffer destruction since the best defence if the offense when things are tough...

No problem. In my opinion for battlemage you need destruction for a range attacks while in close combat you use sword or somthing else. I use illusion becouse it goes perfectly with sneak (quiet casting and invisibilty).

Yep totally! :D

brandon

Do you join Companions or College of Winterhold or both?
when my wife joined the companions all she had where enchanted weapons. vilkas wont fight against any type of majic he just tells you to leave and come back when you have a real weapon.

The Balance

Own Face.
It seems we've all got different opinions on what a battle mage is/should be, and that's perfectly fine :)

My only note is that shields block and interrupt 100% of the time, that's important at higher levels. And VERY important against dragons.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
You can also play yet another way of battlemage, where you're essentially a mage, but you use armour in higher levels to protect you.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
I have to say, Balance, I'm playing with the spec you reccomended and I'm having a whale of a time :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts