• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Would a independent Skyrim succeed or fail?

• Total voters

TwintailHellcat

The Kasha of Old Hell
Also the Empire so desperately wanted the peace with the Dominion, it's why the WGC was signed. I don't think the Dominion would have much trouble fighting its way through Cyrodill and eventually to Skyrim once a route is established. It would only be a matter of time. The Empire was weakened and just recovering from the fight with the A.D. and then the civil war...

Also the Empire so desperately wanted the peace with the Dominion, it's why the WGC was signed. I don't think the Dominion would have much trouble fighting its way through Cyrodill and eventually to Skyrim once a route is established. It would only be a matter of time. The Empire was weakened and just recovering from the fight with the A.D. and then the civil war...

Another possibility is that the AD doesn't bother warring with a shattered empire, why waste the resources and lives when they can just control them with political pressure and keeping them at each others throats.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The Empire was weakened and just recovering from the fight with the A.D. and then the civil war...
The Great War ended 25 years ago which is enough time for the Empire to replenish it's military with a new generation of Legionnaires. While the Imperial Legion is undoubtedly smaller because of a smaller overall population to draw from it also has a smaller amount of area and borders to defend and is in all probability far more vigilant in monitoring its border with Elsweyr after what happened in The Great War.

We also have no basis to determine what kind of shape the Dominion armed forces are in either. It's not an unreasonable assumption that they were in just as bad a position as the Imperial Legion at the end of The Great War because they failed to sufficiently reinforce their armies in Hammerfell against the Redguard forces and eventually had to abandon their holdings there because of it.

In hindsight Titus Mede II's acquiescence to the terms of the White-Gold Concordat may have been a terrible mistake because it appears that the Empire probably could have defended itself against a second offensive and that it's not unreasonable to believe, based on what happened in Hammerfell afterwards, that a second offensive might never have taken place for the foreseeable future. Instead he made concessions which were almost identical to the demands made by the Dominion before The Great War. It was a game of brinksmanship and Mede blinked first.

If the Stormies were to kick out the empire, Ulfric's army would be heavily decimated. Skyrim would be largely unprotected. From there, I would imagine that there would be a large land-grab form Skyrim. The Empire would take some of it's already thin Legions and go take Skyrim(thus giving the empire more power), and the Dominion may also try to expand their borders(making the Dominion more powerful). Skyrim would be cut in half by Empire owned land and Dominion owned land. The Stormcloaks would fall, and there would be more tension between the two powers of Tamriel.

Hammerfell is not part of the Empire now. I don't understand your point.

I just reread the post on UESP and I missed the last sentence about Hammerfell leaving. My bad.