• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Fuzer

Hey Guys, i just want to know your opinion. Is Skyrim lack of spells? You can see Illusionist/Restoration/Alteration that there are just a spells with the same effect but for different levels. Do you think new DLC should add more spells, to make more viable builds on a single magic school, or just to have fun?

Also, you know a good mod that adds spells?

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I think there are too many and you don't really need them all. If you buy each spell from each Mage in the College of Winterhold, you will end up with more than 60 spells and I think that's a lot. I only rely on a few and if you add up the about 30 shouts availables, you have plenty enough and more than you really need in my opinion.
I only use : Thunderbolt ( very powerful shock spell ), Ice Spear ( the best frost spell ) and Fireball. Sometimes I use Paralyze and Soul Trap. When I feel like it, I use Lighting Storm or any of the wall spells. The only conjurer spell I use and not always, is Dread Zombie. The rest of them are there in my stock but I don't use them.
About shouts : I use Unrelenting Force, Candlelight, Clear Skies, Slow Time ( the best in my opinion especially very useful against a group of vampires ), Dragon Aspect ( excellent but only available once a day ) and Drain Vitality. Other than that, I don't use any.
In my opinion, I think we have more than enough.

Benthos

Proud Mer
I think there are too many and you don't really need them all. If you buy each spell from each Mage in the College of Winterhold, you will end up with more than 60 spells and I think that's a lot. I only rely on a few and if you add up the about 30 shouts availables, you have plenty enough and more than you really need in my opinion.
I only use : Thunderbolt ( very powerful shock spell ), Ice Spear ( the best frost spell ) and Fireball. Sometimes I use Paralyze and Soul Trap. When I feel like it, I use Lighting Storm or any of the wall spells. The only conjurer spell I use and not always, is Dread Zombie. The rest of them are there in my stock but I don't use them.
About shouts : I use Unrelenting Force, Candlelight, Clear Skies, Slow Time ( the best in my opinion especially very useful against a group of vampires ), Dragon Aspect ( excellent but only available once a day ) and Drain Vitality. Other than that, I don't use any.
In my opinion, I think we have more than enough.
Yes, this I totally agree, I believe we should be able to choose to replace or keep separate the spells. This way we can replace the lower level spells that are too similar to the higher level spells such as the Illusion's Calm, Fury, Rally, etc. This will make it easier and better to look at rather than a huge mess of spells we don't even use or need. Once we get a stronger spell, rarely do we choose to keep using the lower level/weaker versions of them since the more we level up, the more magic/health/stamina we get. Also, count in the enchantments folks will use to make it easier and cheaper to use each spell.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Right, at high level and enchanting your items with Magic + Magic Reg and / or Destruction and Conjuration, you only need a few spells and shouts and whatever you use will be very powerful. Remember that the more you use it in combat, the stronger the spell / shout becomes. I forgot to add the Stendar's cloak which it is very useful when you face vampires in melee combat. The majority of them are not useful at hight level and probably you will never have the need to use them at all. I didn't and I won't !

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
I think there are too many spells that are derived from one another (i.e. Fury and Frenzy, Firebolt and Fireball, etc.). Magic in nature should be a bit like "bending" (ever watched Avatar: The Last Airbender? If not, you had no childhood), and therefore volatile and unpredictable. You could achieve the same spell effects, but with more dire consequences. Cast a Calm spell incorrectly, and end up with leeks sprouting out of your ears. That sort of thing.

sticky runes

Yeah, there is a severe lack of spells in this game. Just like there is a lack of lock picks and iron arrows. Could do with a few more swords as well.

KattSand

Premium Member
I wouldn't necessarily say that there is a lack of spells, it's more like a lack of diversity imo. And the illusion school feels kinda useless after certain levels because of the level restrictions on the spells, sure there are ways to get around that, but when the master spells are weaker than the lower level spells, you know it's bad :D What I mean by that is that the mayhem master spell is weaker than the adept spell frenzy when you have the right perks and you dual cast the frenzy spell. With that said, if you play on PC there are a lot of mods that add more diversity when it comes to spells :)

Fuzer

Courage>Rally
Fury>Frenzy>Mayhem
Fear>Rout>Hysteria
Calm>Pacify>Harmony

For example Illusion school, you have only 9 spells with different effect. Thats what i want to mean.

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
There are alot of spell based mods, but they are either overpowered or you often end up with so many good spells that you tend to lose that feeling with magic. The only ones really worth mentioning is Apocalypse - Spell Package and the few ones added by installing Skyrim Redone.

Phenderix's mod is still on WIP, the spells offered by Warriorkeke are overpowered (and he meant it this way) and Midas... Well, I think the author gave up on it.

Can I just say that I completed the main quest using mostly illusion with zero kills, and I couldn't have done it without the massive range and time of the master spells! Then any bad guys who didn't get affected you could hit with a dual cast adept spell. It may affect higher level creatures but only a few at a time and in sight...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2