• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Indri Master

Dremora
Realistic Challenge? Rules:

1. The difficulty must always be on Novice.
  2. You are not allowed to invest any points into your Health.
  3. You can only carry 20/100 of your carry weight before overencumbered.
  4. The HUD Opacity must ALWAYS be turned all the way down, except maybe for Dawnguard.
  5. You must make decisions in character, so no using prior knowledge.
  6. Subtitles, crosshair, and such must be off.
  7. No using exploits and/or cheats.
  8. You must eat/drink a reasonable amount of food every day.
  9. You must sleep a reasonable amount every day.
  10. If you die, you cannot go back and you will have lost the challenge.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I don't know about you but most people can carry more than 20 pounds. And does that include armor weight? Because depending you would be able to carry a decent amount. Seeing how I think modern soldiers carry pound for pound more equipment than ancient warriors. Even for mages that number seems a little low. But overall good concept.

Indri Master

Dremora
I don't know about you but most people can carry more than 20 pounds. And does that include armor weight? Because depending you would be able to carry a decent amount. Seeing how I think modern soldiers carry pound for pound more equipment than ancient warriors. Even for mages that number seems a little low. But overall good concept.

Your starting carry weight is 300. Meaning you can carry 60 pounds from the start. Every time you level up and add points to Stamina, you can carry even more.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Your starting carry weight is 300. Meaning you can carry 60 pounds from the start. Every time you level up and add points to Stamina, you can carry even more.

I know that lol What I am saying is instead of 20 being the limit depending on your character your "realistic limit changes" Warriors being the highest then thiefs and mages having your 20 encumbrance bottom limit.

Nighthiker77

I think it would be fun and pretty easy to stay alive. That would be like starting on master with 400 health and doing 4 times as much damage.

I think it sounds really fun. Elven gilded armor, forsworn bow, Nord Hero weapons, maybe bound weapons, and destruction would even do killer damage.
Does turning the HUD all the way down make it invisible?

AS88

Staff member

So, you mean 20% of your displayed carry weight?

Sounds like pretty standard immersive settings , except I'd be tempted to go a little higher than Novice :p

Nighthiker77

Yeah I was thinking, instead of jumping straight into dead is dead on novice, I would try starting on master, and drop the difficulty 1 notch every other time you die. That way you will get a good idea of what you can do on each difficulty, and where it will be too easy.

I like to put a lot into health, so with that restriction, I think adept would be appropriate.

The total amount carried has stayed fairly constant over time. Roman soldiers carried up to 90 pounds, which is in line with most current infantry. The highest weight I have seen is 130 pounds carried by the SAS in their yomp across the Falklands. Of course, the weight when actually in combat is lower, since unneeded items are dropped.
It should be remembered that modern rucksacks and other carrying equipment is far more efficient than even as recently as WW2, the average soldier is a lot bigger, and will usually be transported close to the final destination, rather than marching the whole way.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
Odds are the 300 carryweight Probably is not Pounds, and would it be realistic if you became a vampire would you be allowed to carry more weight due to lets say Superstrength

TJ0331

Nords forever
I'm a Marine and we carry so much weight it's ridiculous. A 20k hike with over 100 pounds was the worst of it so far.

Indri Master

Dremora
Odds are the 300 carryweight Probably is not Pounds, and would it be realistic if you became a vampire would you be allowed to carry more weight due to lets say Superstrength

I'm pretty sure it's pounds. An Iron Sword weighs about 9 pounds, and I'm sure an Iron Chestplate doesn't weigh any LESS if not more than 30 pounds.

I'm pretty sure it's pounds. An Iron Sword weighs about 9 pounds, and I'm sure an Iron Chestplate doesn't weigh any LESS if not more than 30 pounds.

The vast majority of swords weighed less than 4 pounds: most of those that weighed as much as 9 pounds were purely ceremonial. You can find a detailed analysis at http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm

Amaryllis

Even giant weapons rarely weighed more than like 8-10 pounds. Elder Scrolls and similar games use a constantly increasing weight for gameplay purposes (to provide downsides to better equipment, to make later items seem 'bigger'), but that's all it is. A gate to keep you from lugging around a hundred weapons and eight suits of armor. It would be functionally impossible in the real world to swing around a 40 lbs hammer and actually be dangerous with it to anyone other than invalids and people you surprised (though why they didn't think anything was weird about the dude winding up a giant swinging hammer shot is a different matter). But I mean, it's also functionally impossible to carry around 350lbs of garbage at all times, and sprint across the countryside with it.

I think enforcing a 'realistic' carry weight is a neat idea for a sort of RP thing, but I believe it would be more calculating what the actual weight of items and such would be, and making sure you're not carrying anything stupid and extraneous. You could carry two full sets of glass armor in the game (something like 40lbs altogether) for the price of a Dragonbone Warhammer and a couple of pelts, but the latter would be far more realistic for you to actually be carrying out on your adventures, as well as easier to transport in a realistic environment. Who lugs around entire random full-sized sets of armor anyway? And how do you do it? Are you just tying it to your belt and dragging it along noisily behind you like a sled dog?

For RP purposes, I think it's a cool idea if you're willing to go the extra mile and figure out the logistics of what you're doing. For a 'challenge,' I feel like it's just going to make your carrying decisions extremely weird.

I don't know, Warhammer's, Greatsword's weigh a bit, a few between 13-16 lbs. I think aren't they?

Again, a common misconception about these weapons. Maces and war hammers seldom weighed more than 4-5 pounds: anything more is so unwieldy that they are ineffective. Hollywood and various games have accustomed us to images of huge weapons that are very photogenic, but utterly impractical.

For many years I trained actors in the use of weapons and the most obvious point was that using even a moderately sized sword would exhaust someone within minutes. Granted the people who used them back in the day trained on a regular basis, but would still have a limited period of activity.

Samuhell666

From experience a person would be able to carry a lot if its strapped to them correctly (i.e. Back packs & Belt pouches) even when wearing full Plate Steel (a heavy and cumbersome item that I personally don't like wearing for long). Due to a person becoming accustomed to their attire and equipment by repeated usage for the carry weight limit all equipped items should be ignored due to you being in your armour for vast periods of time (in game).

Weapons wise if you were to wield a weapon that weighs anymore than about 8lbs you'll die simple as... This is due to the extra effort required to effectively parry and attack with your weapon, Unlike video games and movies sadly sword combat is more about ability and speed over pure power so lighter weapons should always win in competent hands. Personally I see the weight increase in weapons due to the fact that this improves the stagger a real effect in combat and shouldn't be considered in the carry limit.

Just my humble opinion

[quote="Samuhell666, post: 662321, member: 36572".

Weapons wise if you were to wield a weapon that weighs anymore than about 8lbs you'll die simple as... This is due to the extra effort required to effectively parry and attack with your weapon, Unlike video games and movies sadly sword combat is more about ability and speed over pure power so lighter weapons should always win in competent hands.[/quote]
Though very Hollywood, a good movie example is the fight in Rob Roy Between Tim Roth and the claymore-wielding champion.