• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Is there a quick way to get smithing up to 100, as I cant be bothered waiting for mines, like gold, to respawn.

Nighthiker77

Just carry a pickaxe all the time, buy all the iron ore you see for sale, transmute all of it and make gold rings, with the spell book in Halted Stream Camp directly north of the West edge of Whiterun, directly east of the lunar forge, silent moons camp

Smelt dwemer junk and make dwarven bows or arrows.

If you have Dawnguard, you can buy all the steel and iron ingots you see too and make arrows with them.

Since most of the blacksmiths are outside, you could fast travel from blacksmith to blacksmith with only 1 loading screen each time.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Based on experience gained from resources spent... it's tough to beat iron daggers and gold jewelry.

Iron daggers= 1 iron ingot and leather strips

Gold jewelry= 1 gold ingot

Halted Stream for iron ore, as someone mentioned. Kolskeggr Mine (just east of Markarth) for gold.

Or you can make broken potions and level Smithing to 100 in one improvement. But this requires exploiting Alchemy and Enchanting, to a lesser degree, in order to create completely broken Fortify Restoration potions.

Nighthiker77

1 wood and 1 ingot makes 24 arrows. Wood is free if you chop it instead of buying it.

Are you smithing up the right or left side?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Smithing xp from forging items is based on the value of the item forged. Wasting an iron ingot to make an iron dagger instead of transmuting it into silver or gold ore to make ingots for jewelry is arguably the most inefficient way to level Smithing notwithstanding what someone else posted earlier (iron daggers are so low in value you would need to forge over 2,300 of them to level from 15 to 100 while you would only need to forge a fraction of that amount of jewelry to achieve the same result). Stick with using iron ore for forging jewelry via the Transmute spell if you want to level your Smithing skill efficiently.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Be sure to also use the Warrior Stone in addition to the Well-Rested perk before you start your Smithing spree. Since the road to 100 is an arduous journey, you'll need all the help you can get.

If you're buying tons of smithing components from merchants, wearing items or using shrines that increase your Speechcraft (Dibella) and items that reduce monetary costs are also helpful.

LotusEater

Personally, I would rather fight a few forsworn and take their gold as opposed to Transmuting iron oreX2. Especially if I'm not going for a mage type build. First off, transmuting is long and cumbersome if you aren't set up for it. Second of all, I'd rather not waste early experience on a warrior build transmuting. I'd rather save those early levels for one-handed or something more suited to a fighter type. You can get a s**t ton of gold at K. Mine. A s**t ton of iron at Halted Stream. Make daggers with the iron, jewelry with the gold. Have plenty of things to enchant and sell. But to each their own. Transmuting twice and then smelting it is just not time efficient imo, unless you are looking to level Alteration.

I think most of the points have been covered, but I will summarize my route to 100
If you have found/made any smithing gear/potions, use them for all of these.
Hit Halted Stream asap (with a follower to help carry). Get all the iron, transmute to gold. Make rings
Use perks to get to Dwarven, even if you will eventually use the left side of the smithing tree.
Go to every Dwemer site you can find, again with a follower. Bring back all the smeltable items and convert them to Dwarven metal. May need as many as three trips for some sites.
Make Dwarven bows (will also need Iron). As you add more perks to Smithing you can also buy/find ore and ingots that allow you to make better (more expensive) items at each level. This will supplement the Dwarven crafting but are seldom obtainable in such large quantities.

Use the money from the bows to pay trainers to raise your Smithing level, cheap early on.
Can use the Oghma Infinium to raise the final 5 levels if you have no better use for it.
Since I also Enchant almost everything before selling it, I find I can hit 100 in both skills fairly quickly.

Nighthiker77

I don't mind transmute for a warrior because you can cast it with 100 magica, no skill, and no perks. I just put transmute in my left hand while traveling or exploring low danger or cleared areas.

The magic resistance perks in alteration never hurt

seeker23

Looking for the Snitch in Skyrim...
Well there was this bug where all the smithed items would give you the same amount of exp, ie the cheapest iron dagger and the daedric sword as well as jewellery would give the same amount of exp. I used this to advance my skill. I used to travel around skyrim buying iron ingots and making daggers. Still it was tiresome and it was fixed by some patch. The jewellery thing is way better.

Well of course you could always use the console commands.;) I used it when I foolishly made smithing legendary. I tried improving smithing from scratch through honest methods. After about 20 levels I was laughin at my own foolishness.

Of course if you are going for the honest root the jewellery thing is good.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Ok, so I will use this transmute spell (Even though my build is purely against magic, but I will wave that for now).
I guess I shouldnt have rushed my first post and explained better of what in my own experiences have tried, everything except, transmute and dwarven stuff, in addition to my first post in what I should have made clear rather than putting "I cant be bothered waiting for mines, like gold, to respawn" whereas I should have said " I have cleared kolskeggr mine and looted all the gold, but I cant be bothered waiting for the mine to respawn its ore"

As this build hasnt explored any dwarven ruins yet, is there any in particular that house a lot of this stuff to smelt into dwarven ingots.
I am currently at 51/100 having made mostly iron daggers, the first lot of kolskeggr gold, and iron armors, if I take the dwarven bow path, is there a rough idea of how many it would take to reach 100.
I have also tried the restoration potion glitch which no longer works.

JClarke1953

You can also use the Alchemy loop for your Smithing (as well as Enchant potions). The loop helps make a powerful Smithing potion that increases your Smithing when you use it to Improve any gear you've made (from leather to Dragonbone).

Also, as stated above, making high end jewelry will help as well. If you're not much for mining, Mehrune's Dagon can be visited about once a week, and you can score some gold and ebony ingots.

LotusEater

You can also use the Alchemy loop for your Smithing (as well as Enchant potions). The loop helps make a powerful Smithing potion that increases your Smithing when you use it to Improve any gear you've made (from leather to Dragonbone).

Also, as stated above, making high end jewelry will help as well. If you're not much for mining, Mehrune's Dagon can be visited about once a week, and you can score some gold and ebony ingots.

And daedra hearts. :)

Is there a quick way to get smithing up to 100, as I cant be bothered waiting for mines, like gold, to respawn.

Collect leather by hunting and buy (or find) Iron Ingots and smith iron daggers or leather braces. That's how I advance through the perks.