problem upgrading with perks

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

murdaface

well, i picked the smithing perk to upgrade dwarven equipment, and after the first upgrade, it tells me i lack the required skill. seems like i saw a similar post, but couldnt find it, sorry if its a repeat question. anyone know what could be wrong?

Onyx

Hmm that is strange. Also, I do not think you even need the perk in order to upgrade equipment? I just think the perk doubles the bonus upgrade for that type of material.

Could it be you lack the required material in order to upgrade?

Stone

Retired Moderator
Moved to help section.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
The rules on when you can upgrade a weapon, and by how much, are quite complicated - so I'll refer you to the UESP Wiki instead of trying to re-explain it! http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Smithing

It doesn't sound like this is the problem you're having, though - you only need Smithing 14 to upgrade any item to Fine (the lowest upgrade), and you start with Smithing 15.

Are you trying to upgrade a magic/enchanted item? You need the 'Arcane Blacksmith' perk before you can do this. Without the perk you can only upgrade unenchanted items.

murdaface

found it. threshold issue. thanks for posting. turns out there are thresholds at levels 20 40 60 80 and 100 smithing that determine how much you can upgrade.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts