Physical Copy or Steam Download?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

bradavis

I wanted to know which version you all think is the better choice. I mean obviously the steam version is more accessible, but is it the better alternative? What do you think, and which are you getting? (This goes without saying, but this is referring to PC gamers only)

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I prefer every games on steam now that I have a large collection in there :/ GAAABE!! I do miss those old days when I had the retail box with game manual to rest my eyes on

bradavis

That's a good point, I do have a big library on steam. But I have a dilemma, perhaps somebody, perhaps you, could help me with. I stupidly installed my steam account and everything having to do with steam on myt C: Drive. That drive has about 3 G's of space left on it, while my D: Drive has about 350G's on it. Is there any way to transfer everything (steam, games, etc) on to my D: Drive? If I lose all my save data and whatnot, it'll suck, but I'm willing to do it. Ooooorrr is there a way to make it so that newly installed games from steam install and occupy space on my D:Drive?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I prefer the retail version simply because it’s nice to have them standing in your shelf. Also, you don’t have to download them each time you install them. But beggars can’t be choosers ;)

CRisCO

Get the physical copy because if they make a script extender mod for the game or anything along those lines you will need a physical copy to access it..

That's why from now on I always get the physical copy of games I know will be modded heavily just so I don't miss out on any awesome mods

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Besides, you usually can’t “downgrade” the downloadable version of games, especially not in case of Steam ones. With the retail copy however this process is as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling it.

ScoreX

Get the physical copy because if they make a script extender mod for the game or anything along those lines you will need a physical copy to access it..

That's why from now on I always get the physical copy of games I know will be modded heavily just so I don't miss out on any awesome mods

You do know that Skyrim uses Steamworks and will require Steam for activation right?

It's going to be the same for everyone, digital or physical copy.

CRisCO

You do know that Skyrim uses Steamworks and will require Steam for activation right?

It's going to be the same for everyone, digital or physical copy.

It's my understanding atleast that the downloaded steam versions are encrypted and can't be modded at the same degree because of legal issues.

Could be wrong though not really a techy guy

ScoreX

It's my understanding atleast that the downloaded steam versions are encrypted and can't be modded at the same degree because of legal issues.

Could be wrong though not really a techy guy

Lucky for us there is no legal issues with mods :)

I have Mount and Blade ( + Warband ) on Steam, and have a plethora of mods for both of them. So this isnt really an issue.

I dont know if the OBSE guys will be able to do what they did with Oblivion for Skyrim though... hopefully they wont need to :)

Travis

Yeah, I think it will be the same either way. If I were you, I would get a physical copy. You will get it added to your steam account and library either way, and I'm sure once it's installed you won't need the disc (that's how Shogun 2 was). So if you get the physical, it will be faster install, plus you have a disc, box and manual lying around if you ever want it.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Yeah, I think it will be the same either way. If I were you, I would get a physical copy. You will get it added to your steam account and library either way, and I'm sure once it's installed you won't need the disc (that's how Shogun 2 was). So if you get the physical, it will be faster install, plus you have a disc, box and manual lying around if you ever want it.

I don't know if it's necessarily a faster way to install your game. Think about scenario where you have almost immediate urge to, well just buy, something from steam in a middle of night. You can't really drag your arse to Gamestop to buy a retail version. Downloading from Steam is quite smooth and I haven't yet experienced any issues with bandwith.
For downloading 6gb, it takes approximately 1½h for me. But not everyone has as good as connection that I do.

Travis

Yeah. I know for me 6gb will take like 5-8 hours... but I live out in the boonies and can only get crappy satellite internet.

CRisCO

Keep in mind that you will be downloading from steam the same time as everyone else... IT's going to be miserable download

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Keep in mind that you will be downloading from steam the same time as everyone else... IT's going to be miserable download

Well, there isn't much people living in nordic countries and each of them has their own Steam servers. The cities, that are big in our standards, almost all of them has light fibre connection. And it's not even expensive. Turku, from where I moved two years ago, had this offer for 100mb connection for 13$ per month.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Personally, I like to collect things. I have a decent sized collection of Coca Cola and Resident Evil stuff lol. I don't really care for digital stuff though that's probably what the future will hold for us.

I am not sure about that digital stuff. People love to have their hands on something concrete, rather than abstract, and go through experiences how they were able to get that rare piece into their collection. Even game industry has realised this about human psychology, and that's the reason why they're desperately trying to get us, potential customers, to buy all kinds of mumbo jumbo.

Lagerale

Physical copy, mainly because I won't be home to download it on Steam Friday so I'll grab a copy on the way home and it will install faster then downloading it. Honestly as one of Steams biggest haters, anyone remember the Half-Life 2 issues (to put it mildly) can understand why, I have slowly come around to at least accept the fact Steam or something to that effect is going to be the norm eventually and they have become much better. I still buy games in hard copy most of the time.

Micheal Mckinlay

Umm... you guys know that the games already available to download on steam? i have it installed right now, can play it the minute the game comes out :p