New to Skyrim - Having a very rough time

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Radia964

45 you say? Bah! You are but a whelp, barely weaned. Why, I remember when I was your age you could get a room at the Bannered Mare, eat a good meal, enjoy a few mugs of mead and get change from a septim.
At 72 I could still show you youngsters a thing or two, if I hadn't taken an arrow to the knee a few years back.

LOL...Hilarious, we have a forum comedian I see. *(thumbs up)*

Radia964

Much thanks, for all the Ace advice!! May you all one day, own your own Palace on Calibur of Skyrim.. And be graced with the best Mead:beermug:
Happy Hunting!

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Welcome to the forum, Radia, and don't feel discouraged; I've been playing for a while now and there are still enemies that use my characters as piñatas no matter how powerful I make them.

In addition to using a follower, consider using conjured critters to keep your enemies busy while you plink away at them from afar or stab them in the back when they're not looking. This can be accomplished with either Conjuration spells or various staves of summoning.

Thanks, good advice! Nice to know I'm not the only Pinata...I'm low-level (6) I know about conjuring/ spells...But I got aways to go before I can be proficient, with conjuring/ spells/ Alchemy. I'm sure I need better defensive technique, and armor. But I forgot about conjuring the critters, thanks for that...

No problem; I find that even the novice conjuration spell that Bretons start off with at first level (wolf) is quite effective for a while, depending on what difficulty you're playing on.

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
Thanks alot for all the replies...All were helpful!
First off, I think I'm on Novice. I gotta check be sure. Secondly I'm old, compared to everyone here. I'm 45.
(And don't start with the old man joke's)

No, I don't have any experience with Elder Scrolls games...But, I really like the concept and ancient theme of this game.
And I think You an General Charles nailed my problem...I think I'm bumrushing too much with offense.
Because I'm pushing right trigger, fast and most of the time. Trying to swing the weapon in my hand as fast as I can.
I guess I'm trying to force more of a "blow for blow" type style...Realizing that dosen't fare well on the main mission enemies.
Then I thought more on blocking, using your shield (defense). Realizing you probably have to use good timing with your blocks. to not get smashed. So you can counter quickly off your blocks.

For equipment - Armor - I have Imperial studded armor (Average I would say) Because I accidentally sold the Steel armor. (Imbasil newbie mistake)

Weapons - I have one good - one-handed enchanted battle ax. My best two handed weapon - An enchanted Greatsword of Cold. (I'm actually a little better with the two-handed weapons).

I know how to use Magicka, but I don't have any real good powers yet at level 6.
and I know about perks

Overall, I think I have to practice blocking (defense) just as much as offense, on lesser enemies. To get Better.
Is this right?

Also, who can recommend the best armor, I should try to get for my low-level- 6
and/or any defensive upgrade I should try and get ? .....Thanks
It all depends on what type of armor you fancy, but I will point you to a few places.

Heavy armor:

1. The Bannered Mare Tavern in Whiterun- Beat Uthgerd The Unbrocken in a fistfight and take her somewhere isolated and kill her/have her killed. You may then take her steel plate armor that should protect you incredibly until about level 25 or so.

2. Make your way to Lorgashbur southwest of Riften. Once inside, you have the option to steal a full set of Orcish armor that should last you untill level 30 or so.

3 Riften- In Mistveil Keep, Behind the throne to the room on the left, there is an Elven War Axe on a display rack. Also, If you can sneak upstairs to the Jarl's quarters, there is an Elven Greatsword on a rack as well as full steel armor in a display case that you must lockpick. These options however are marked as steal.

Light armor:

1. Go to the Thalmor Embassy (North of Solitude) once you acquire a strong poison of sorts. While staying out of sight, kill one with your bow. You will get no bounty and they won't attack you if you do it quick enough to where the guard won't signal everyone. You may waltz right in after you pick the front door and retrieve the armor. Depending on luck, it could be Elven or Glass Armor. Elven is recommended as Glass may be to hard early on.

That's all I got so far. If you want more, let me know and I will try to find extra. :)

Ace advice! Excellent. (thumbs up) I copy and pasted it in wordpad for later use...Have a mug of mead or Beer:beermug: on Me..And may you have your own castle in Skyrim one day!
The only Castle I need.......is Castle Dour. :cool:

.....But I don't think you'll get the joke unless you've gone to Solitude! :p

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
Lots of good advice above as always. So I'll offer a suggestion to stay away from the giants for a while, either you or lydia could well go for a fly. I lost lydia on my first playthrough to a giant club. OK, so another suggestion - talk to people, some of the quests they give are fairly easy - find something or deliver a message. They still add to your experience. Finally - you may think you are older than many on here, but you maybe pleasantly surprised at the age range.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Always have an escape plan. Don't back yourself into a corner. Especially in places like caves or dungeons. Get to know the layout first. Then engage your enemies.

Upgrade your weapons as soon as you can. I see you like enchanted weapons? ..... You will need to get your smithing skills to level 60 before you can upgrade enchanted items.

Start gathering soul gems. Once you find a weapon that has soul enchantment on it then you can go soul hunting. Or find/buy the spell tome for casting soul capture. (Personally I find the weapon method more fun).

When first starting out I pick up any piece of armour I find/loot. If it has a higher rating than what I am wearing then the lower piece gets replaced. After I get enough gold, or my smithing skills are up, then I buy the armour I want.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
If your focus is more hitting than dodging or blocking, grab yourself a two-handed weapon. Nothing says you're a mean son of a bitch than wielding a big ass Warhammer or Greatsword.

Radia964

Son of a bitch!.. That was the whole problem all along. I bought Skyrim used. And previous owner had the difficulty set at "Master". I was Conjured with deception..lol...After setting it at a more sane "apprentice" level for.. My level 7- Wood Elf.It's going much more smoothly, without being ridicoulously easy...

Damn Hagravens, The most hideous beasts I 've seen yet..For my first big accomplishment, I did take one down, without much sweat, by myself with a killer Mage spell tome. I picked up from a witch. (always search the Witches) Curious? Is there anything in Skyrim that is more Hideous than Hagravens?

General Charles Xander

Son of a bitch!.. That was the whole problem all along. I bought Skyrim used. And previous owner had the difficulty set at "Master". I was Conjured with deception..lol...After setting it at a more sane "apprentice" level for.. My level 7- Wood Elf.It's going much more smoothly, without being ridicoulously easy...

Damn Hagravens, The most hideous beasts I 've seen yet..For my first big accomplishment, I did take one down, without much sweat, by myself with a killer Mage spell tome. I picked up from a witch. (always search the Witches) Curious? Is there anything in Skyrim that is more Hideous than Hagravens?
More hideous than Hagravens? That's easy, the Stormcloaks. :p

But seriously, you probably won't like the look of the Falmer or a Volkihar Vampire. Ugh, not only are high level vampires ugly, but they also are a b**** to kill.

Oh, and some advice. If you have Dawnguard installed, make sure you wait a minute every time you fast travel to a city. Vampires will have a high chance of "attacking" cities, and will kill all of the NPC's if you are not careful.

Reactions: Sah

Radia964

It all depends on what type of armor you fancy, but I will point you to a few places.

Heavy armor:

1. The Bannered Mare Tavern in Whiterun- Beat Uthgerd The Unbrocken in a fistfight and take her somewhere isolated and kill her/have her killed. You may then take her steel plate armor that should protect you incredibly until about level 25 or so.

2. Make your way to Lorgashbur southwest of Riften. Once inside, you have the option to steal a full set of Orcish armor that should last you untill level 30 or so.

3 Riften- In Mistveil Keep, Behind the throne to the room on the left, there is an Elven War Axe on a display rack. Also, If you can sneak upstairs to the Jarl's quarters, there is an Elven Greatsword on a rack as well as full steel armor in a display case that you must lockpick. These options however are marked as steal.

Light armor:

1. Go to the Thalmor Embassy (North of Solitude) once you acquire a strong poison of sorts. While staying out of sight, kill one with your bow. You will get no bounty and they won't attack you if you do it quick enough to where the guard won't signal everyone. You may waltz right in after you pick the front door and retrieve the armor. Depending on luck, it could be Elven or Glass Armor. Elven is recommended as Glass may be to hard early on.

That's all I got so far. If you want more, let me know and I will try to find extra. :)

Ace advice! Excellent. (thumbs up) I copy and pasted it in wordpad for later use...Have a mug of mead or Beer:beermug: on Me..And may you have your own castle in Skyrim one day!

Ah, now I'm curious of course... Anticipating Solitude:cool:

General Charles Xander

Ah, now I'm curious of course... Anticipating Solitude:cool:
Quite a pretty city. It is the capital of Skyrim after all. :)
They are even so kind as to give you a show when you first enter! :D

whiplash8807

I keep buying selling and re buying this game. This will be my 4th purchase of the game but the first without the DLC not counting of course the first purchase before the DLC came out.

My very first character was a wood elf cuz I like archery. I focused on conjuration and leveled that up pretty quickly till I got the Bound bow along with the Archery skill....I believe by the time I had the tome I had 3 or 4 points dumped into the damage perk and the one that let's you zoom in by pressing sprint....talk about just walking thru almost everything.

JoeReese

You've got a lot of good advice already, particularly about keeping your perks combat-related until you can stand on your own, and learning the tricks of the trade.
I tend to prefer 1H and light armor, so I always put my perks in 1H, light armor, and archery at first. Use the 1/5 base perks, first, only branching into the specialties when you've
got a solid base. Remember that, even without perks in the sneak tree, you still do double damage when you attack from sneak. At early levels, that means a nice, slow, careful archery
shot from a distance, and maybe another if you can get it in time, before you put your bow away and slug it out.

If you have the first word of Unrelenting Force, that is a great opener to stagger them and buy you a moment of time to attack. If not, the quick shield bash is your best shot, though it
eats up a lot of stamina at first. Quick shield bash is holding the shield up and then tapping attack. Once you have a bash perk, there's another version but IMO it takes too long to wind
up, and they're not there by the time it fires. Don't worry about power attacks at first, but focus on "the dance." What you do is move in close and watch them prepare to attack, then
back out, let them swing and miss, and move back in to attack. The more you see them, you'll get an idea how soon you can start moving back in to maximize your time before they can
attack again, but that's when your shield bash buys you an extra second to attack. It's also good to circle right or left, so they have to move to hit you.

If you have the stamina left for a power attack, use the tap + tap and hold combo. Do this quickly, tap, release and then immediately hold again. It will give you a combination attack, of
a horizontal swipe followed by an immediate downward power chop. At early levels, some daggers can do as much damage as swords. The Elven dagger, for example, does the same
base damage (8) as the steel sword, but it moves more quickly. (1.3 dagger vs 1 sword vs .7 2H sword)

If you don't have a shield, or want more damage, keep fire in the off hand and give them a quick burst right before you swing your weapon. You can also block and set enemies on fire with a
standard torch, used the same way you would a shield.

The single most helpful things, for me, have been the paralysis potion and the atronach.

Most alchemy, as was mentioned, is quite weak at early levels, but paralysis can do wonders, even at the low-level, 3 second, strength, because it immediately disrupts their attack
and knocks them down. You can have many free shots, while they try to get back up, and you can always re-poison your weapon, if need be. Paralysis is made from any two of
canis root, imp stool, or swamp fungal pod, among others which are harder to obtain. Canis root and imp stool can be bought from the alchemists, for relatively little money.
(If I remember correctly, in the single digit prices) I always carry as many as I can get my hands on, in addition to healing potions.
Also, if you give your follower a few healing potions, they will take them when their health gets low.

The flame atronach is my second best friend. I always put my first point into health, then alternate between health and magicka, until I have enough magicka to cast a flame
atronach. You can buy the books from the court mages. If you want to cast sooner, don't sell your novice hood from Helgen, and it can be put on to cast an atronach before
combat, then just put your helmet back on and go.

About the only other useful thing I could say is, if you want an Elven dagger, take the carriage to Winterhold, then walk out of town on the main road. Be careful, as there may be
some wolves or something along the road. Outside of town, along the road, there is a mine with a single Winterhold guard out front. To your immediate left, down in the snow, is
a round Nordic ruin, called Journeyman's nook. There is one bandit inside, along with the corpse of a college mage, who will have a named Elven dagger. The intended quest was
never put into the game, so there's no reason not to use the dagger for your own purposes. It will hit like a steel sword but faster. Come to think of it, there's also an alchemy
table in case you run across some canis root and imp stool in your travels. :D

If you want some safer practice/exercise, travel to the Western Watchtower. Go into the field, behind and to the left of the tower (viewed from the road) and there's usually
something going on, with bandits, mages, wolves, etc. You can take them on or bait them and retreat toward the tower, where the guards will lend a hand.

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME
Quite a pretty city. It is the capital of Skyrim after all. :)
They are even so kind as to give you a show when you first enter! :D
Umm, speaking of show, there still is something i havent tried yet. To finish stormcloack quest line before visiting Solitude even once. Would that save >>the guy<<?

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
You've got a lot of good advice already, particularly about keeping your perks combat-related until you can stand on your own, and learning the tricks of the trade.
I tend to prefer 1H and light armor, so I always put my perks in 1H, light armor, and archery at first. Use the 1/5 base perks, first, only branching into the specialties when you've
got a solid base. Remember that, even without perks in the sneak tree, you still do double damage when you attack from sneak. At early levels, that means a nice, slow, careful archery
shot from a distance, and maybe another if you can get it in time, before you put your bow away and slug it out.

If you have the first word of Unrelenting Force, that is a great opener to stagger them and buy you a moment of time to attack. If not, the quick shield bash is your best shot, though it
eats up a lot of stamina at first. Quick shield bash is holding the shield up and then tapping attack. Once you have a bash perk, there's another version but IMO it takes too long to wind
up, and they're not there by the time it fires. Don't worry about power attacks at first, but focus on "the dance." What you do is move in close and watch them prepare to attack, then
back out, let them swing and miss, and move back in to attack. The more you see them, you'll get an idea how soon you can start moving back in to maximize your time before they can
attack again, but that's when your shield bash buys you an extra second to attack. It's also good to circle right or left, so they have to move to hit you.

If you have the stamina left for a power attack, use the tap + tap and hold combo. Do this quickly, tap, release and then immediately hold again. It will give you a combination attack, of
a horizontal swipe followed by an immediate downward power chop. At early levels, some daggers can do as much damage as swords. The Elven dagger, for example, does the same
base damage (8) as the steel sword, but it moves more quickly. (1.3 dagger vs 1 sword vs .7 2H sword)

If you don't have a shield, or want more damage, keep fire in the off hand and give them a quick burst right before you swing your weapon. You can also block and set enemies on fire with a
standard torch, used the same way you would a shield.

The single most helpful things, for me, have been the paralysis potion and the atronach.

Most alchemy, as was mentioned, is quite weak at early levels, but paralysis can do wonders, even at the low-level, 3 second, strength, because it immediately disrupts their attack
and knocks them down. You can have many free shots, while they try to get back up, and you can always re-poison your weapon, if need be. Paralysis is made from any two of
canis root, imp stool, or swamp fungal pod, among others which are harder to obtain. Canis root and imp stool can be bought from the alchemists, for relatively little money.
(If I remember correctly, in the single digit prices) I always carry as many as I can get my hands on, in addition to healing potions.
Also, if you give your follower a few healing potions, they will take them when their health gets low.

The flame atronach is my second best friend. I always put my first point into health, then alternate between health and magicka, until I have enough magicka to cast a flame
atronach. You can buy the books from the court mages. If you want to cast sooner, don't sell your novice hood from Helgen, and it can be put on to cast an atronach before
combat, then just put your helmet back on and go.

About the only other useful thing I could say is, if you want an Elven dagger, take the carriage to Winterhold, then walk out of town on the main road. Be careful, as there may be
some wolves or something along the road. Outside of town, along the road, there is a mine with a single Winterhold guard out front. To your immediate left, down in the snow, is
a round Nordic ruin, called Journeyman's nook. There is one bandit inside, along with the corpse of a college mage, who will have a named Elven dagger. The intended quest was
never put into the game, so there's no reason not to use the dagger for your own purposes. It will hit like a steel sword but faster. Come to think of it, there's also an alchemy
table in case you run across some canis root and imp stool in your travels. :D

If you want some safer practice/exercise, travel to the Western Watchtower. Go into the field, behind and to the left of the tower (viewed from the road) and there's usually
something going on, with bandits, mages, wolves, etc. You can take them on or bait them and retreat toward the tower, where the guards will lend a hand.
Joe, I never knew that about the torch. :beermug: I've never bothered to use one, but I do like to give one to my follower as she'll use it effectively.

General Charles Xander

I'm not to sure. I believe if I recall correctly, that no matter what, he still dies. Though the NPC's dialogue might change. But regardless he still dies.

You can "save" him you know. If you use resurrect, he will just lay down and quite literally lose his head. But if you kill all the guards on the podium, as well as all the guards in Solitude, he won't die. Instead he will, for the rest of his life, stay on the podium using the the grindstone every once in a while. You can't interact with him. So really you are saving him by not saving him. If you intervened, he would be condemned to a life of nothingness instead of the glories of Sovngarde. Think about that. :D

Y

Also, you can taunt the giants at the nearby camp, then go back to the tower and stand just inside. They cant reach you and you can kill them with a bow. Works even at the lowest levels, though may take a while if you only have a basic longbow.

JoeReese

I'm not to sure. I believe if I recall correctly, that no matter what, he still dies. Though the NPC's dialogue might change. But regardless he still dies.

You can "save" him you know. If you use resurrect, he will just lay down and quite literally lose his head. But if you kill all the guards on the podium, as well as all the guards in Solitude, he won't die. Instead he will, for the rest of his life, stay on the podium using the the grindstone every once in a while. You can't interact with him. So really you are saving him by not saving him. If you intervened, he would be condemned to a life of nothingness instead of the glories of Sovngarde. Think about that. :D

I went in there and shot up the place once, after I learned how to undo the essential setting. Rogvir had a heart attack and died anyway. :/

General Charles Xander

I went in there and shot up the place once, after I learned how to undo the essential setting. Rogvir had a heart attack and died anyway. :/
I believe EVERYONE has to die. Guards I mean. The game marks him as "enemy", this results in the guards going for him even though you are fighting them. The game will only unmark him when all the threats are vanquished. Though you also have to kill them in the time frame it takes for his execution.

So for example: If the game plays out and takes a minute before he gets his head chopped off, that means you have to kill everyone within a minute.

Though I never bother! :p