Spoiler Maybe I should return that key... (Thieves' Guild)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Chadonraz

The Skeleton Key is currently in my possession, and has been for about a week (real time). Today, I was told to find something in Bronze Water Cave...

As I entered, I discovered Brynjolf and Karliah, still in their Nightingale gear, fighting two Frostbite Spiders that had most likely been waiting for me. Now I feel kind of bad for taking advantage of the Key, apparently forcing the two to stay in that cave. ._.

What did you do once you got the Key? Returned it, or used it as a lockpick? And if you read this far and haven't acquired the Key, what would you do?

Olsthepols

Fus Ro Dah
The Skeleton Key is currently in my possession, and has been for about a week (real time). Today, I was told to find something in Bronze Water Cave...

As I entered, I discovered Brynjolf and Karliah, still in their Nightingale gear, fighting two Frostbite Spiders that had most likely been waiting for me. Now I feel kind of bad for taking advantage of the Key, apparently forcing the two to stay in that cave. ._.

What did you do once you got the Key? Returned it, or used it as a lockpick? And if you read this far and haven't acquired the Key, what would you do?
What does the skeleton key do? I don't have it.

FarmGirl

Work is really cutting into my gaming time.
It is worth it to return the key and finish the TG questline. You can always get lockpicks.

MiniPea

The Dark Lord of Skyrim
I used mine for a bit, but then returned it because it was annoying to have the quest in my journal.

Chadonraz

It is worth it to return the key and finish the TG questline. You can always get lockpicks.

I know what the reward for "Darkness Returns" is, and I'm going to finish it as soon as I get the Unbreakable perk. Only 30 lockpicking "levels" to go. :D

Adam Belmont

Returned to complete the quest. It's a nice item but is not worth the active quest in the journal.

Saozig

Hippy
Personally I enjoyed finishing the quest much more than having the Skeleton Key itself. Plus for that character, my main goal was to became Guild Master and not tote around a fancy unbreakable key, so hey, you know...

Chadonraz

Returned to complete the quest. It's a nice item but is not worth the active quest in the journal.

That's a good point. :) Having unfinished quests in the list isn't nice.
But I have "No Stone Unturned" in slow progress anyway, plus the misc section will never clear (one is glitched, one I refuse to do, and the third can be done over and over again).

Adam Belmont

That's a good point. :) Having unfinished quests in the list isn't nice.
But I have "No Stone Unturned" in slow progress anyway, plus the misc section will never clear (one is glitched, one I refuse to do, and the third can be done over and over again).
"No Stone Unturned" is a quest that stays on my journal for a long time too! And some misc quests like "join the stormcloak or the legion", "companions for work" don't bother me that much, but if any quest is glitched I do a research to get rid of that quest by console command.

Chadonraz

No console commands for the 360. I know a way that might get rid of the objective (which won't complete even though I did what it says) -- or duplicate it. My money's on the latter, but we'll see. :D

Edit: Yeah, that's enough. No more bounties in the Pale...

Rhubarb&Custard

I've kept it for about a month in real time. :oops: You know how useful that thing is?! I can open Master locks without losing all of my lockpicks! I'll probably return it (eventually) when I deem my lockpicking high enough. I have a mod installed that shows you the "sweet spot" in all locks for where to open it without any pick damage or broken picks. :D May be a little cheaty, but I don't care. :p I'm a thief! I don't care about NOT cheating. ;)

Invader Vin

I'm one of those folks who just doesn't have the patience for lock picking. Every time I acquire the skeleton key, you can bet it stays with me for much of the game. I just finished the quest to acquire it last night and I don't plan on returning it anytime soon, if at all. I may return it once I've thrown enough perks into lock picking to make it easier (I use mods for extra perks so don't mind throwing them into "useless" skill trees) but until then, I make good use of it. For obvious reasons, I still have yet to finish the thieves guild quest-line even after 1400 hours of playing this game.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts