• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pluisje

Hiya dudes,

Yesterday I finally got the last patch downloaded and was thinking to start over on legendary.
Know I know master was sometimes lil bit hard for me so legendary would be extreme challenging.

My question @ you guys is; Is it smart to do some powerleveling in Helgen? I know that bandits etc. will get harder but if I don't im hitting like crap at the beginning.

Greetz Pluisje

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
Legendary is insane its about 30% harder than Master, power level would be a good idea because if u take on 4-5 enemys its going to be to much of a challenge, I used my Dragonbone sword that takes off 461 (legit) to test legendary when I got ganged up on by draugr I was done for.

Clau

The Fateless One
Sometimes power leveling in Helgen is a bad idea. On master and in legendary. I exploited the Hadvar / Ralof backstab last night and I leveled up to 15, bandit marauders and their ilk are armed with dwarven or orc weapons while I was only armed with iron equipment.

Ignami351

INFP of the Blue Variety
that's true. don't level unnaturally. unless you're a magic user. XDD the only way I can see surviving legendary is using dragonskin + 100% boost to a destruction class (50% perk + the masks from solstheim) and master spells. also level up a crap load to 200 to have nearly infinite magic. I hope they didn't make any NEW incredibley hard to fight monsters now that there's no level cap.. like Super ultra mega killer doomy death overlord demon drauger. xD

Pluisje

thx for the replies I did powerlevel till 22 and then for the dragonstone I had to pass a ice troll. Thought fl*ff so rolled new one and take the steps slowly and just do some alchemy first now. Paralyse those b*stards to hell including those high elfes

Saozig

Hippy
Whenever I've tried to start on Master I get killed by Alduin before even reaching the Helgen Keep. :confused: Terribly annoying. I usually start on Apprentice, then Adept once I get to level 10-12, depending. Really, I think it depends on your style of game-play and what racial bonuses you are starting with. My Redguard and Nord characters whipped through Unbound at higher difficulty much easier than my Wood Elves and Breton ones.

I pretty much avoid power levelling. It creates problems and takes some of the fun out of shaping your character. I try to play smarter and not rely on anything to boost my character that early on in the game. I even avoid using enchanted stuff, or play no-magic or with limited magic. That alone makes it harder with low-level characters, even on Apprentice or Adept. My current Nord is magically untalented--he can use Healing and Transmutate and at level 29 only has 120 magicka. He also uses no enchanted weapons or armor. I played the first 22 levels with him wearing improved studded armor or steel armor, no helmet and no Armor perks, and ignoring his Nord +10 2H bonus, made him a sword-and-shield fighter, and boy, did he get black-and-blue'd all of the place (and killed a few times). But now he has serious Light and Heavy Armor, 1H and Blocking skillz.

Drax Rifter

Hiya dudes,

Yesterday I finally got the last patch downloaded and was thinking to start over on legendary.
Know I know master was sometimes lil bit hard for me so legendary would be extreme challenging.

My question @ you guys is; Is it smart to do some powerleveling in Helgen? I know that bandits etc. will get harder but if I don't im hitting like crap at the beginning.

Greetz Pluisje

If i'm not mistaken legendary means you are doing 25% damage and taking 3x damage.

Which means you need a skillset that hits hard and allows you to stay out of harms way.
Archery, 2H, Sneak, Conjuration, Illusion come to mind.

Powerleveling will get you killed plus it's no fun. The key is to pick 2-3 key skills and perk them first. Start flushing out secondary skill only after your primary build takes shape.

Good luck!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
If i'm not mistaken legendary means you are doing 25% damage and taking 3x damage.

Which means you need a skillset that hits hard and allows you to stay out of harms way.
Archery, 2H, Sneak, Conjuration, Illusion come to mind.

Powerleveling will get you killed plus it's no fun. The key is to pick 2-3 key skills and perk them first. Start flushing out secondary skill only after your primary build takes shape.

Good luck!

This is really close to what I've been developing (naturally, through hard alchemy work and being chased around by multiple trolls at Labyrinthia on multiple occasions), only I went with Destruction instead of Illusion. I figure under the current system I can always switch gears to another school of Magic later on if necessary. I've read that Destruction doesn't scale but it fits the vision of what I want my dude to be so I'm gonna go with it. I'm pushing Heavy Armor with a Warhammer. I've largely ignored Sneak aside from a few perk points which seems to go against conventional wisdom but so far no issues.

Drax Rifter

This is really close to what I've been developing (naturally, through hard alchemy work and being chased around by multiple trolls at Labyrinthia on multiple occasions), only I went with Destruction instead of Illusion. I figure under the current system I can always switch gears to another school of Magic later on if necessary. I've read that Destruction doesn't scale but it fits the vision of what I want my dude to be so I'm gonna go with it. I'm pushing Heavy Armor with a Warhammer. I've largely ignored Sneak aside from a few perk points which seems to go against conventional wisdom but so far no issues.

I can't imagine how difficult Destruction must be on Legendary. Especially if you don't opt for Enchanting while wearing Heavy Armor. I'm currently working on a Battle Mage on Master and it's just barely manageable. I have enough firepower for most encounters.

My only problem is that it takes me about 50 enemies to get a level in Destruction and 5 swings with a Greatsword to get a level in Two Handed.

LotusEater

I can't imagine how difficult Destruction must be on Legendary. Especially if you don't opt for Enchanting while wearing Heavy Armor. I'm currently working on a Battle Mage on Master and it's just barely manageable. I have enough firepower for most encounters.

My only problem is that it takes me about 50 enemies to get a level in Destruction and 5 swings with a Greatsword to get a level in Two Handed.

I spent a lot of time developing my character without using major exploits. Which meant spending hours hunting, making potions, smithing armor and weapons, buying and selling goods, etc, etc. I used the restoration exploit once to make potion armor just so I could fund my exploring and it's worked out great so far. I mainly use Destruction as a compliment to my maxed out Conjuration. I just get a kick out of throwing runes across the room even though they don't do much. Plus I had a vision of a Heavy Armor wearing, minion summoning, lightning bolt hurling, Daedric Warhammer swinging juggernaut so I'm gonna have to grind and sell in my spare time to fund him. :)

LotusEater

Find a troll and dual cast runes at his feet while you run from him. That's what I did. I had three of them chasing me at labyrinthia. Just cast runes at their feet and let them regenerate. High stamina helps a lot obviously.

Drax Rifter

Find a troll and dual cast runes at his feet while you run from him. That's what I did. I had three of them chasing me at labyrinthia. Just cast runes at their feet and let them regenerate. High stamina helps a lot obviously.

Yah the higher a base cost of a spell the more XP you get. The problem is that these spells also require a ton of magika and a pre level 20 character is hard pressed to get even -50% spell cost.

LotusEater

Yah the higher a base cost of a spell the more XP you get. The problem is that these spells also require a ton of magika and a pre level 20 character is hard pressed to get even -50% spell cost.

Yup, I'm already set in those areas, which is exactly why I treat Destruction as my secondary/fun style of magic. Their may be other more powerful choices later on but there is nothing like creating explosions on a battlefield. :)

Panthera

Don Gato
Sometimes power leveling in Helgen is a bad idea. On master and in legendary. I exploited the Hadvar / Ralof backstab last night and I leveled up to 15, bandit marauders and their ilk are armed with dwarven or orc weapons while I was only armed with iron equipment.
I did that on legendary + I also leveled sneak all the way to 100. But I only put about 15 perks on the "one-hand" and "sneak" tree, after I didn't lvl-up until I got out of helgen and get better equipment. And than I earned some money and train "marksman" skill for free all the way to lvl 50. But even with all that it wasn't enough on legendary so naturally I went into crafting (smithing and enchanting).

Whenever I've tried to start on Master I get killed by Alduin before even reaching the Helgen Keep. :confused: Terribly annoying. I usually start on Apprentice, then Adept once I get to level 10-12, depending. Really, I think it depends on your style of game-play and what racial bonuses you are starting with. My Redguard and Nord characters whipped through Unbound at higher difficulty much easier than my Wood Elves and Breton ones.

I pretty much avoid power levelling. It creates problems and takes some of the fun out of shaping your character. I try to play smarter and not rely on anything to boost my character that early on in the game. I even avoid using enchanted stuff, or play no-magic or with limited magic. That alone makes it harder with low-level characters, even on Apprentice or Adept. My current Nord is magically untalented--he can use Healing and Transmutate and at level 29 only has 120 magicka. He also uses no enchanted weapons or armor. I played the first 22 levels with him wearing improved studded armor or steel armor, no helmet and no Armor perks, and ignoring his Nord +10 2H bonus, made him a sword-and-shield fighter, and boy, did he get black-and-blue'd all of the place (and killed a few times). But now he has serious Light and Heavy Armor, 1H and Blocking skillz.

lol I must try this I've never got killed in Helgen. What do you do there... walk all the way to the Alduins mouth? :D

I do the same... I mean I'm still doing this... wearing Steel, Steel Plate, Nordic Carved* or Thieves Guild Armor** . Nothing fancy and my Khajiit char is 46 lvl... on legendary.

- * as I leveled I found better armors but I don't use anything better than those which are tempered only with steel or corundum ingot

- ** that one just for show, looks good

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I stick with novice. Sorry, I just don't want the challenge. Dieing over and over again is not fun for me.
Thanks for the "funny" Panthera, but it's true. I know I'm a weenie, but this is my first time through the game and I"ve never played Skyrim before.

Perhaps in future games I'll try higher difficulty, but, for the time being, slow and steady!

Panthera

Don Gato
Thanks for the "funny" Panthera, but it's true. I know I'm a weenie, but this is my first time through the game and I"ve never played Skyrim before.

Perhaps in future games I'll try higher difficulty, but, for the time being, slow and steady!
To each to it's own... What ever makes you happy man. I personally never play a game below normal. For me playing below normal is like not playing at all. And I don't think you are weenie... I think you are only interested in the story with some action. :)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
To each to it's own... What ever makes you happy man. I personally never play a game below normal. For me playing below normal is like not playing at all. And I don't think you are weenie... I think you are only interested in the story with some action. :)
You are right sir! I play to RP, not really as a challenge. I do intend to play my next character (an assassin, I think) at a higher level. But I am in the discovery phase. See my other thread if you have any suggestions for playing a character like that. I have discovered that I am an excellent shot and patient enough to be able to sneak very, very, very well.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
If you play a mage, Legendary won't be difficult. So far (10 hours in), on my current playthrough on Legendary, I've only died once (2 hitted by a Vampire carrying a Dwarven Axe).

I actually wish the dragons we even harder against.

And I suck at video games so it's saying something.

Panthera

Don Gato
If you play a mage, Legendary won't be difficult. So far (10 hours in), on my current playthrough on Legendary, I've only died once (2 hitted by a Vampire carrying a Dwarven Axe).

I actually wish the dragons we even harder against.

And I suck at video games so it's saying something.
I've tried to play as mage on master I think... didn't go well. But as assassin I kick ass! :)