Is levelling up a priority for you?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ragnvaldr

That Canadian guy.
Had an argument with a friend a while ago about what level we were both at in the game. He's only got about 200 hours into it, and is sitting at level 74. I've got about 400 and am only sitting at level 57. He then goes on about how he can kill most everything but dragons with one hit, and I fire back with what fun is that?
I've concentrated mostly on combat skills, my archery is maxed out as is my one handed and light armor. I have a few perks in destruction and smithing, but really nothing else as I'm comfortable where I am and if I level any higher, than so be it.
Is going any higher really that much better? I find that where I'm at in the game certain things can still be a bit of a challenge, but would it be more fun to basically be omnipotent and walk around Skyrim like Q?

jonathan90

well known member
The best thing I find about this game,is it's not just leveling up and finding perks.

it's also finding equipment that improves your character, to craft or etc.

And what's so interesting about this game,is you never know what item you might find to craft to improve your character's weapons and armour, and etc.

And yes, leveling up is a number one priority for me. because it helps to improve your characters skills, equipment, and weapons.:D

I actually keep my characters' level low, once I get the requisite perks for their basic build. For instance, Critical Charge is so central to my fighting style, so in the beginning, I rush to unlock that. Assuming I'm even using 1H, or with 2H, it's Great Critical Charge, but every one of my characters has at least something to earn before they can even use their signature style. After that, I slow down, or even halt my leveling once the few skills I use top out. (Smithing, and other crafting doesn't level at all when you stop using it, so I usually just take it to Steel, or Elven tier.)

Believe it, or not, this can actually make you More powerful in relation to the game, if you focus on Offensive skills, with something on defence so you don't get killed. That's because the difficulty goes up with tougher versions of the same foes in tiers while you level. So, if you get your Destruction up to 100 before level 25, it's insanely powerful, instead of the weak sauce relative damage you get at 81. So yeah, it is important, but not the way it is for most players.

Invader Vin

It's all up to your personal preferences really. Some folks enjoy being powerful even immensely powerful to the point they can one shot everything and that's fine, it's their choice. Others prefer to take things slower for whatever reason it might suit them. I prefer to progress through things slowly myself and even use a mod to slow down skill progression simply because I enjoy taking time with the game and my character.

Furthermore, I'm never really concerned about putting together an effective build as even on master difficulty, all my characters wind up becoming fairly powerful eventually anyways so looking forward to certain perks is definitely not a priority for me. At most I might look forward to throwing perks in to smithing just so I can make a certain armor set but that's it. Other than that, I tend to throw perks into sub par skills just for the heck of it so yeah, you could certainly say leveling up isn't really a priority for me at all.

It all depends on the player. That being said, you'll need level 81 eventually if you want to face the Ebony Warrior.
He spawns at 80, and that's only if you get Dragonborn. I beat him, but I can say with some surety you don't want to face the Ebony Warrior.

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
I just play... I dont spend any time thinking " I need to get as powerful as possible, as quickly as possible!!"
I like S***ting myself when a dragon flies overhead rather than just getting annoyed at the inconvenience, which tends to happen when you become an absolute tank, who can punch dragons to death with heavy gauntlets.

If I do end up power levelling, I often quickly lose interest in the character, then make a new one.

That being said, I do sometimes look forward to levelling up so I can buy a new perk. :)

FullmetalHeart20

I just play... I dont spend any time thinking " I need to get as powerful as possible, as quickly as possible!!"
I like S***ting myself when a dragon flies overhead rather than just getting annoyed at the inconvenience, which tends to happen when you become an absolute tank, who can punch dragons to death with heavy gauntlets.

If I do end up power levelling, I often quickly lose interest in the character, then make a new one.

That being said, I do sometimes look forward to levelling up so I can buy a new perk. :)
Then how about skipping over defensive skills? I mostly use flesh spells, so I have to cast for a few armor points. Or you could use minimal perks in an armor branch. You can one shot them, and they can one shot you.

Then how about skipping over defensive skills? I mostly use flesh spells, so I have to cast for a few armor points. Or you could use minimal perks in an armor branch. You can one shot them, and they can one shot you.
That's fun, but a bit extreme. Alteration is nice, because it does more for your Perks than just protection. Armor Skills pretty much do that one thing, for a lot of points. Block is the most perk efficient defense.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
Playing on master and also using "minimal" to "basic" gear is essential for me by now. As a warrior (which I rarely play) I would not wear anything higher than Dwarven Armor, as a hunter very basic light armor can be very good if you improve it, so I choose those that look the best to me( namely fur/studded/scaled/elven). And for a mage I will wear no armor at all, carry a dagger, and a few potions but that is all. This way when I level (which I cannot slow down because of the XBOX) it still stays challenging

jonathan90

well known member
Smith as much crap as you can...and enchant and sell that sh i t.
Earn heaps of gold!!!!!to buy better gear and weapons, or craft.
I know sometimes it's hard, but you must.
Otherwise you will just be stuck at a lower level for longer,that's if you don't level up fast.

RY14NCE

Dragonborn

Thats actually a pretty good idea, might stop me from getting bored when I get to around level 40, and I can destroy everything with a wooden sword.

Spoiler ahead.
I have the book that allows you to reset your perks, I might give it a test run.

Nighthiker77

I think the wooden sword is from hearth fire.

This thread has me tempted to make a crafting only character with very little or no other perks. I have been trying to figure out how I would play in real life and this is the closest I have come yet. I've always wanted a forge IRL and I have a background in synthetic organic and phytochemistry.

I think the highest I've gotten characters is 66 on PS3 and maybe 55 on PC. Some things I rush for, but once I have my main skills up to the perks I really want, I just play from there

I've always wanted a forge IRL and I have a background in synthetic organic and phytochemistry.
Wow, that's cool! Okay, I'm a Nerd, but on having a Forge, you can make Knives with a simple Farrier's Forge. For Swords, and such, you'll need something a bit bigger, and more expensive, though. A point Thermometer (Just measures Surface Temperatures) really helps in tempering until you learn the eye. Color is a good indicator of when to plunge, but it's a steep learning curve...

Ritterkreuz

It's not the leveling that I want per se, it's the perks and the abilities. Basically I want to be a master enchanter, a master blacksmith, my armor not to way me down, etc.

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
Where do you get a Wooden Sword?

Hearthfire dlc, general merchants have them. You can improve them with firewood and even enchant them. I got it as a gift for one of the kids I adopted, but decided it was too fun so I kept it. Plus its not right to give a child a toy that, not ten minutes ago, was used to decapitate a bandit.

Hearthfire dlc, general merchants have them. You can improve them with firewood and even enchant them. I got it as a gift for one of the kids I adopted, but decided it was too fun so I kept it. Plus its not right to give a child a toy that, not ten minutes ago, was used to decapitate a bandit.
Depends on the kid.