IS it lore-breaking for a Khajiit to be a vampire or werewolf?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Level VII

Do'vish
    I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
    While it seems intuitively odd to be a Lycan, there's nothing lore breaking about it. The fact that it's an intended game mechanic to be able to do so speaks to the opposite. In point of fact the playable Khajiit race is but one of several. There are others so different in appearance that if you could see them you would think "THAT'S a Khajiit?"

Level VII

Do'vish
    While it seems intuitively odd to be a Lycan, there's nothing lore breaking about it. The fact that it's an intended game mechanic to be able to do so speaks to the opposite. In point of fact the playable Khajiit race is but one of several. There are others so different in appearance that if you could see them you would think "THAT'S a Khajiit?"

Just because you can wear a stormclock cuirass in an imperial hold like Solitude doesn't mean it's not lore breaking. The Khajiit don't believe in Talos as a god (I'm pretty sure) doesn't stop you from going and getting the shrine of Talos blessing. What I'm getting at here is just because it's a game mechanic, it doesn't mean that it isn't lore breaking. Also the last part of your comment made no sense. I know there's different species of khajiit. What does that have to do with my question?

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
    Staff member

Just because you can wear a stormclock cuirass in an imperial hold like Solitude doesn't mean it's not lore breaking. The Khajiit don't believe in Talos as a god (I'm pretty sure) doesn't stop you from going and getting the shrine of Talos blessing. What I'm getting at here is just because it's a game mechanic, it doesn't mean that it isn't lore breaking. Also the last part of your comment made no sense. I know there's different species of khajiit. What does that have to do with my question?
    I think she assumed that you assumed it was odd for Khajiit to be Lycans because you also assumed all Khajiit looked like cats....

Level VII

Do'vish

I think she assumed that you assumed it was odd for Khajiit to be Lycans because you also assumed all Khajiit looked like cats....

I'm just asking for the in-game khajiits. The ones you play as. Which I'm pretty sure are the Cathay. Is it possible, in the lore, for the in game khajiits to be vampires/werewolfs?

Staff member

I'm just asking for the in-game khajiits. The ones you play as. Which I'm pretty sure are the Cathay. Is it possible, in the lore, for the in game khajiits to be vampires/werewolfs?
    I have no idea. It seems kinda odd if they can though. Just my opinion.

Dagmar

Just because you can wear a stormclock cuirass in an imperial hold like Solitude doesn't mean it's not lore breaking.
    That's not a game mechanic. It's the complete absence of a game mechanic. The Khajiit being able to become Vampires and Lycans is something that the developers actively coded in rather than something they overlooked .

Members of the Khajiit race can (and do) worship Daedra same as any member of another race can. Vajhira, the Khajiit hunter from Oblivion worships Hircine, the patron Daedra for Lycans.
    The Khajiit don't believe in Talos as a god (I'm pretty sure)
    The Khajiit are not some kind of monolithic Uni-Mind. They're individuals. Like a member of any other race a Khajiit can believe in the apotheosis of Talos or not. This holds true for a member of any race. The fact that you would claim it's lore breaking implies you don't clearly understand the meaning of the term. Being lore compliant doesn't mean you have to engage in rigid, inflexible and illogical racial stereotyping of all the races of Tamriel.

Level VII

Do'vish

I have no idea. It seems kinda odd if they can though. Just my opinion.

Yeah, that's why I asked, having a feline turn into a dog-like creature seems kind of odd. They also seem kind of odd as vampires.

Staff member
    Just because you can wear a stormclock cuirass in an imperial hold like Solitude doesn't mean it's not lore breaking.
    That's not a game mechanic. It's the complete absence of a game mechanic. The Khajiit being able to become Vampires and Lycans is something that the developers actively coded in rather than something they overlooked .

Members of the Khajiit race can (and do) worship Daedra same as any member of another race can. Vajhira, the Khajiit hunter from Oblivion worships Hircine, the patron Daedra for Lycans.
    The Khajiit are not some kind of monolithic Uni-Mind. They're individuals. Like a member of any other race a Khajiit can believe in the apotheosis of Talos or not. This holds true for a member of any race. The fact that you would claim it's lore breaking implies you don't clearly understand the meaning of the term. Being lore compliant doesn't mean you have to engage in rigid, inflexible and illogical racial stereotyping of all the races of Tamriel.
    Monolithic Uni-mind? XD

Level VII

Do'vish

Either way, that has nothing to do with my question. Just some examples I made. All I wanted to know was if the khajiit in the video game SKYRIM could be vampires/werewolfs without it being lore breaking.

Staff member

Either way, that has nothing to do with my question. Just some examples I made. All I wanted to know was if the khajiit in the video game SKYRIM could be vampires/werewolfs without it being lore breaking.
    She answered your question, at least imo, when she said the devs had to actively code it in. That suggests that it is intended and accepted as official Lore.

Level VII

Do'vish

She answered your question, at least imo, when she said the devs had to actively code it in. That suggests that it is intended and accepted as official Lore.

Alright. but I was just saying there's other things in the game that could be lore breaking.

Dagmar

It has everything to do with your question. Any race can worship any Aedra or Daedra. It's an individual choice. The ability to become a Lycan is based on blood pact with Hircine. The ability to become a vampire is based on contracting a Sanguinare Vampiris, a disease to which the Khajiit have no more immunity than any other race, which is to say none. The ability to become a Vampire Lord is by pact with Molag Bal.

Staff member

Alright. but I was just saying there's other things in the game that could be lore breaking.
    I understand. I didn't realize what you meant the first time I read your post. Sorry if I was rude.

Staff member
    It has everything to do with your question. Any race can worship any Aedra or Daedra. It's an individual choice. The ability to become a Lycan is based on blood pact with Hircine. The ability to become a vampire is based on contracting a Sanguinare Vampiris, a disease to which the Khajiit have no more immunity than any other race, which is to say none. The ability to become a Vampire Lord is by pact with Molag Bal.
    I suddenly have a question about Vampire Lords!

Suleku

The Grey Knight
    Not at all, actually wanted marry a of those vampire Khajiit until I made a rig out of him o_O, Nowww.... as for those lightsaber and lil pony mods... that my friends is what I call lore breaking right >.>

Staff member
    Why can Serana and Harkon make us Vampire Lords of it requires a pact with Molag Bal to become one?

Dagmar

Why can Serana and Harkon make us Vampire Lords of it requires a pact with Molag Bal to become one?
    It's derivative. They're bound by blood pact to Molag Bal. You're bound by blood pact to either of them.

Staff member

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
    Well, to answer your question here it is:

Vampires- I see no reason they could not. The developers actually added the fangs of khajiits extending out of their mouths when a vampire. This shows that the developers purposefully worked on khajiits being different from others, which shows that they approve of vampire kitties.

Lycanthropes- Well, for this I'ma have to be all real and explain it in a way that your question didn't specifically ask but was written under the first four letters in werewolf. In summary yes, any race can become a were-creature. It would definitely though be more likely to see a werelion, as those are native to eleswere. This could imply one of three things, that lore never clearly states which. Either, the separate forms of lycans is a complete different disease, supported by the climate of each region. Or, whoever was the first one to pray to hircine to be something, prayed for something similar to themselves, so they would not lose complete touch with who they are (this would explain werelions, and werecrocodiles). Or finally, it might be the whole teen wolf concept, the form you take is based off who you are, while teen wolf is speaking more personality wise, elder scrolls could very well base this very concept off of physical attributes.