• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

mike208

I am doing another play through(well to be honest I never finish the first time) and I want to play a sneak type archer character this time. I am wondering what the best/most fun(I get thats subjective, looking for opinions)way to play a sneak archer is?

I know some people add in conjuration for bound bow/atronachs/dremora lords. I assume some play a pure sneak/archer build with the other perks probably through in to armor or something else. Are there any other types that I am missing?

Thanks for your help. Gonna go look at the skill calculator and see what i can work up

I am doing another play through(well to be honest I never finish the first time) and I want to play a sneak type archer character this time. I am wondering what the best/most fun(I get thats subjective, looking for opinions)way to play a sneak archer is?

I know some people add in conjuration for bound bow/atronachs/dremora lords. I assume some play a pure sneak/archer build with the other perks probably through in to armor or something else. Are there any other types that I am missing?
Light Armor, the mobility is crucial, because your primary advantage is Range. Sneak is good too, but eventually, they figure out where the arrows are coming from (If there's enough of them, and there's plenty of battles likeat) so be ready to Shoot, and Scoot. Do not get into a Swordfight, or get a Sword, and learn to use it for a Backup. If nothing else, it is possibly to run yourself out of Arrows, so handy to kill another Archer, and take their ammo. (Not to mention getting Ambushed by Sabercats, or in Close Quarters by Draugr where there's no room to out-maneuver them.)

Foresworn bows are Steel Tier, which means you can start improving them with 1 perk at level two. (Ok, you can before that, but only by 1 point, which makes them equivalent to Elven.) Their Armor is like Leather, and requires that to Improve, but there's gobs of both, on them, and Deer/Elk/Foxes/Wolves... Hunt, and Temper on the workbench, you'll get better quickly. their arrows are for crap, though. Grab Steel Ingots from Alvor, and head W/NW immediately, this will give a big boost to your damage capability early on, and earn you Experience faster. Lost Valley, and/or Serpents Bluff Redoubt, they both have Crafting Stations, but SBR has the Workbench, and LVR the Grindstone.

Draugr (AKA Ancient Nord) arrows are exactly like Steel, only not worth as much money, so stock up in crypts, and use them as your main ammo. When your get down to Steel, or iron (Your Quiver will change) you know it's time to go get more. Clear out Fort greymor, and Sungard, they will fill up with Imperial/Stormcloak Soldiers, who use steelies, and between them, you can get 4-500 in one run. That ought to hold you, but you have to wait for them to respawn after you evict the bandit's/Foresworn already camping on them.

One variation I like is Bow/Greatsword Hybrid. Invest in the Bow, but when it does inevitably get to Close Quarters, it's a damned sight better than a Dagger. I mostly Block/Bash to keep them off balance so I can get a swing in between, since it's less Stamina than a Power Attack, and you take a lot less damage from them. Also lighter, and simpler than a Sword/shield combo, you can even Bow bash, and back step to switch, then hit them as they charge in once you dial in the timing.

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! 2Hand is optional, or you can do pretty much the same with 1H, and either drop Block, or add Deflect Arrows, and Elemental protection with a Shield. (1 extra perk, minus Sweep, you can drop that too, if you don't know how to use it, same with Devastating Blow/Paralyzing Strike.) Critical Shot is OK, but not enough to prioritize, when you can use the same 3 points to get up to Ranger. being able to run circles around them, and still shoot is where your real power comes in, but you can stop at Champion's/Fighting Stance and grab CS instead.

The left hand branch of Sneak is optional as well, since you only have to get within Range to get your Deadly Aim bonus, I've done it in Heavy Armor.

As for playing it, one of the easiest ways to go in the game. Sneak up to where you have a clear shot, hit the biggest threat first, then shoot the ones in the front before they get to you. Once they start coming your way, stand up, and be ready to Move. While you may be able to get them all before they get to you, don't depend on it every fight, or eventually, they'll get lucky, and you won't.

Pick a versatile Follower. Without Conjuration, you'll have to Commend them forward before you start shooting, then they will fight for you, so you can concentrate on where to best put your arrows. Followers don't think, they attack, so you're playing Strategic Support to their Tactical Fight. Fortunately, they Do take orders, and if they can Sneak, will not raise the alarm early.

Aura Whisper, keep this shout cued up, and use it whenever you aren't sure where all the enemies are. Especially in the Reach, sabercats have a nasty habit of shadowing you until you crouch, and zoom in on a Deer... By the time you switch weapons, and start swinging, you could be dead, or within an inch of it.

I usually suggest Jenassa, she's one of the best, but unfortunately, she tends to hang back, and shoot, which is your job. This leaves nobody up front to draw attention, and keep them off of you, so you want more of a melee Scout, in Light Armor so they don't get you busted. I wish there was a good one that's easy to get early on, but unfortunately, the game seems to favor Light Archer/Heavy Warrior. In Whiterun, you have Njada Stonearm, which is about as good as it gets, but you have to stick with the Companions quite a while to unlock her.

Erik the Slayer in Rorikstead isn't too hard to get, and he's out by the Reach, and Plains of Whiterun Hold, which is the best place for an Archer starting out. Give him a Skyforge Steel Greatsword, and some Scaled, he'll be good to go. Tends to charge in as soon as the fight's on, and that's a good thing! Send him right into the camp, and keep him covered...

Ahtar is another good one, and he comes with a Fast Battleaxe (Which unfortunately can't be Improved.) Kind of a pain to track down after you complete his Be Friend Quest. Anyway, that's the basics. A pretty shallow learning curve, and powerful enough for any enemies, as long as you make it Your kind of fight. Once it turns into a swordfight, you're in mortal peril, unless you invest in another weapon's skill/block.

I suggest doing the Companions up to Proving Honor to get a free Skyforge Steel Greatsword, or two (Eorlund will give you another.) Even if you're not going to use it, most of the Followers I listed above will, and with the same Steel Smithing perk, it can be gotten up to Superior quite easily. A Nord would work best with the 2H Hybrid, the Fear can stop a massed charge, and make them run away where you can shoot them, and Cold Resistance never sucks in Skyrim. Also, Wuld is great for fast maneuvers, while FRD can blow a single tough enemy (and possibly others, though not reliably) back where you can shoot them before they can get up, and charge you again...

mike208

Thanks for the info. I was mainly trying to figure out which perks I was going to go with. Pure archer with some smithing/enchanting. Conjure archer with bound bow and minions to fight for me. Full sneak for some snipe kills, but also the ability to get in and slit some throats. Do i go with archery only, or also dual wield(Daggers?), 2H or sword and board for when they get close?

Do i go with archery only, or also dual wield(Daggers?), 2H or sword and board for when they get close?
Up to you, really. I like Bow/Greatsword, because when they do Close, you can play with Reach, but honestly, that's a replacer for a Spear, because we don't get those. Dual Wield has the least Defense, because you can't Block, and Shield has the most, because of the Elemental Protection Perk. 2H can Block, badly, but is excellent for Bashing, because it does more damage (Especially with Power/Deadly bash.) Also, using quickbashes, instead of standing there with Block up gives you an opening to strike, or switch weapons, like the Bow Bash, so it's not much of a change in style. The Bow takes up both hands, and you can Bash to make an opening, so does the Greatsword.

However, with a Shield, I'd suggest a Handaxe, and the Hack&Slash Perks. This bleeding damage makes a significant difference on the living (Meaning, not Skeletons, Draugr, and so forth, because they don't Bleed) by stacking up over successive strikes, and you can pair it with the Targe of the Blooded, but this will eventually make you a Light Tank with a Bow, and less of an Archer.

Just the bow is a bit of a challenge only in that if your Strategy (Sneak in for the first shot with a multiplier, and shoot them before they close) falls through, you are basically left weak in the Tactical environment, where you can run, and hope to re-position, or die. This is fine for 1, or two targets you can Evade, or concentrate fire on so at some point its a duel/2-on-1 with a follower, but a Zerg Rush will overwhelm you with shear numbers if you let them surround you.

Typically, in Skyrim, Archers carry a Dagger for close up, which honestly isn't much stronger than the bow. You get fast striking, that's about it. With 2 daggers, and the right perks, you can get fast enough to be all right in a Duel, but in that case, why didn't you just Shoot him? Out numbered, you're wearing Light Armor, and can't block, have very little Stagger chance, so it's a damage race, you against all of them. Not real good odds.

Turtle (With a Shield, you can cover up so you can't attack, for more Protection. Not unlike a Turtle with his head in his shell, sub-variety of Tank) slows you down, so when you switch, you'll be less likely to be able to disengage, relocate, and swap back to the bow when you get an opening. Also, Reach is more of an issue, so you might as well go with an Axe, which is about as much reach as the Shield bash, so you won't just butterfly in front of them. (That's embarrassing, and a waste of Stamina.)

A Greatsword swings slow, but with footwork, timing, well placed bashes, and knowing the moment you can strike without counter it's basically the same kind of fighting style, only with Reach instead of Range. If you don't have room to maneuver, you can at least back into a bottleneck where they can't surround you with more than 2-3 guys, bash one, and hit the other until you even up the fight. You really have the most options here, it's actually fairly light weight for your full Equipped weight (Which determines how much Stamina you use when you Sprint) and from a Damage-per-Hit standpoint actually pretty powerful.

I've done all of the following: Just Bow, Axe/Board, Bow&Targe (No hand weapons) and 2 Handed. I've also done it Unarmored, Heavy, With, and without Magic and/or Crafting. Pick whatever you like, I can tell you how to build/play it, or why it won't work. The best in terms of playability, survival, and ease is 2H/Light Armor, they just compliment the most with the way I play.

AS88

Staff member
How about a Witchhunter-style build?

Use either a nicely tempered bow (using bought smithing potions) or Bound Bow, and use either Alteration or Light Armour for protection. Depending on preference, you could use a Bound Sword, or a dagger and some destruction (any combo which doesn't take damage away from your bow, really). For bigger boss fights or when you start levelling you could use your summons more and use a 'real' bow once small smithing improvements to high-tier weapons outweigh the positives of using Bound Bow (of which there are many). I personally prefer to stick to Bound weapons and a dependable follower, though, for a more feel-good morally right sort of character, which I feel complements this build best. :)

Also, Psiberzerker, commendable as always!

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Thanks for the info. I was mainly trying to figure out which perks I was going to go with. Pure archer with some smithing/enchanting. Conjure archer with bound bow and minions to fight for me. Full sneak for some snipe kills, but also the ability to get in and slit some throats. Do i go with archery only, or also dual wield(Daggers?), 2H or sword and board for when they get close?

For a traditional archer you need light armour (you don't necessarily need perks in it though), Archery of course, i suggest you get every perk except the 2nd and 3rd ranks of the critical hit perk as it's useless. Get sneak perks to get 3x bow damage and get muffled movement. Use a single dagger as your back up weapon, put 5 points into the armsman perks and leave it at that, no point getting any others for a single dagger.
You could also have smithing to maintain your weaponry (all light side and arcane blacksmith), I recommend alchemy you can make some fantastic poisons, I'm making some with over 20 secs paralysis and 120 lingering damage health. You could use enchanting too, frost damage is useful to slow enemies and with absorb stamina enchant you can use the slow time zoom in a lot longer and a lot more often.

mike208

Lol, so many different ways to go and I know I can't choose them all. I assume if I use bound bow, then I don't really need smithing/enchanting. And vice versa, if I want to smith/enchant, then I probably should use a real bow. Well I read somewhere that illusion was good for a sneak archer, so i rolled an altmer(to get the extra magic)and started playing. I ran out of arrows quick, lol. Didn't like that. My bad for forgetting to buy some before I left town. Maybe I should go with bound bow instead then?

I also have a level 14 sword and shield guy, I am kind of liking him. Just wish i could do all the fun things with one character lol.

Bound Bow is extremely powerful at low level, but gets eclipsed in damage only if you Smith past it. No more running out of Arrows, and it cannot be Disarmed. You can get it for free in the Fort Amol prison, in a bucket, under a lamp, next to a bookshelf in the back corner to your left as you come in the door.

Altmer is the right choice, because with just a Novice Hood (Free from Helgen) they can cast it at level 1 until getting Adept Conjuration. Replace it with Jyrik's Amulet Fragment once you run Saarthal, and then Savos' Amulet when you get it, or just finish Forbidden legends to get the complete Gauldur Amulet. That way, you can wear a Helmet, and benefit from all the light Armor perks, like Wind Walker. Definitely at least Start the College of Winterhold, because it will make you a Conjurer eventually, so summon as well. You can keep Dremora Lord in the other hand, and recast them together when they both wear off, but this is an endgame strategy. Very powerful, though.

I call this variation a Mystic Archer, though I usually use heavy Armor, and Robes with Vokun, and typically Ebony Boots, and Gloves (Or orkish, Blades', lots of good choices here.) Since you've already chosen Light, focus on Stamina, and health until you get Expert Conjuration, then build up your Magicka (You can wear a lot too) until you can cast Dremora lord with the Bow. Then, you need enough to cast 2 once you get up to Twin Souls. By then, you should have the playstyle mastered, though, and enough health/Stamina to be fine.

I don't suggest Necromancy, because that requires bodies, and when that drops, you have to put away your bow, raise it, and get it out again, hypothetically in the midst of combat. This transition is almost impossible to pull off reliably, but once you get Dead thrall, you can pick up a powerful body well ahead of time, because they don't time out. I also switch to Storm Atronachs for Dragons on the wing, though you can swap them for Dremora lords once it's Grounded, or just Dragonrend them when you get that shout.

AS88

Staff member
Lol, so many different ways to go and I know I can't choose them all. I assume if I use bound bow, then I don't really need smithing/enchanting. And vice versa, if I want to smith/enchant, then I probably should use a real bow. Well I read somewhere that illusion was good for a sneak archer, so i rolled an altmer(to get the extra magic)and started playing. I ran out of arrows quick, lol. Didn't like that. My bad for forgetting to buy some before I left town. Maybe I should go with bound bow instead then?

I also have a level 14 sword and shield guy, I am kind of liking him. Just wish i could do all the fun things with one character lol.

You could still enchant using Bound Bow - fortify archery, stamina, health, alchemy

mike208

I've done all of the following: Just Bow, Axe/Board, Bow&Targe (No hand weapons) and 2 Handed. I've also done it Unarmored, Heavy, With, and without Magic and/or Crafting. Pick whatever you like, I can tell you how to build/play it, or why it won't work. The best in terms of playability, survival, and ease is 2H/Light Armor, they just compliment the most with the way I play.

I like the build you posted. Was just rereading the thread and saw you mentioned bow/targe. How does this work. Do you smash them in the face then switch to bow over and over? I'm not a big fan of doing a lot of switching of weapons and spells. I do when I need to, but that sounds like a lot. maybe I am misunderstanding.

Also I want to make sure I understand duel wielding. I know how to equip 2 weapons, but how exactly do you use them. Do you swing one and then the other? Can you swing them both at once? It seems like if you swing one and then the other that you aren't really getting in more swings then just swing one weapon over and over, but I didn't seem like I could make it swing both at the same time. Playing on 360 if that matters(Left and Right trigger are my attack buttons).

I am thinking maybe I should just keep plugging along on my sword and board brenton(currently level 15). I just love/hate how much this game has to offer. I love having so much to do, but I doubt I am the type that will do more then 1 or 2 at the most play throughs. Heck I have started the game a few times and still haven't finished it once. I get bored easily. Trying to find a character that will keep it interesting.

I like the build you posted. Was just rereading the thread and saw you mentioned bow/targe. How does this work. Do you smash them in the face then switch to bow over and over? I'm not a big fan of doing a lot of switching of weapons and spells. I do when I need to, but that sounds like a lot. maybe I am misunderstanding.
Actually, it was Bound Bow, and Targe to take advantage of the fact that when the spell wears off, or you sheathe it, whatever's in your other hand is summoned back from inventory, so it's as close as I could get to simulating Bound Shield without Mods. This trick works with ANY 1 handed backup, a dagger, sword, axe, torch, or even another spell, but if you cast it over Bound Sword (The weapon effect of the casted spell) you will come back bare handed, because it cancels the effect, and can't recall the nonexistant sword from your inventory.

The way that particular combo worked is I wasn't completely helpless when my bow wore off right before the charging Sphere Guardian (Or whatever, that time in Blackreach was particularly memorable) gets to me. You can turtle up, bash, and Wuld away to recast without getting gangraped. It happens to be the cheapest as well, in terms of Perk investment, you can get away with just Shield Wall, Power, and Deadly bash. For contrast, take a look at the 1H tree to see what all it takes to make a Dagger an effective sidearm...

It's not a primary weapn, though, nor even teachnically a weapon, but a Power Bash staggers a lot longer to recast, and backpedal to where you can shoot them before they recover. In Skuldafn, for example, I was mostly using Fus Rodah to blow back the waves, and waves of Draugr before they could get in an attack, and Power Shot to Stagger at a distance, but the latter isn't reliable, and the former has to cool down, not to mention the inconveniences of your weapon timing out periodically. Sometimes, that's not at the most convenient, and I've found that in Those instances, the Targe of the Blooded out performs any Dagger, even the Blade of Woe, or Gauldur Blackblade with their Absorb Health.

Honestly, the best combo with Bound Bow is Dremora Lords. Cast that first, then arm yourself to support him, you don't need anything else in the vast majority of fights. He'll wear off first (By about a second) warning you to find cover, and recast both, then it's back to business. Once you can cast both of them without recharging, or worn magicka, and have a decent Health pool, you can run around in a loincloth, and take on Foreswarms on fairly even footing. Though, I was actually wearing Heavy Armor with Rahgot, and the Targe. The Sneak penalty doesn't really matter, because at maximum Range, you're out of earshot, so all you really need is Deadly Aim to increase you Damage. Jus crouch long enough to pull it off, otherwise you want to be upright for Mobility.
E849AB49D6704D77C9A540C488EAD8D4FDFB595F

18D1AEAF82439435EF4A1B82AA1DE707BA0170FF

Yes, she has Green Skin:
C70A3E1E58ACC451CA523EC1CAD8032E1E066DEF

mike208

Actually, it was Bound Bow, and Targe to take advantage of the fact that when the spell wears off, or you sheathe it, whatever's in your other hand is summoned back from inventory, so it's as close as I could get to simulating Bound Shield without Mods. This trick works with ANY 1 handed backup, a dagger, sword, axe, torch, or even another spell, but if you cast it over Bound Sword (The weapon effect of the casted spell) you will come back bare handed, because it cancels the effect, and can't recall the nonexistant sword from your inventory.

The way that particular combo worked is I wasn't completely helpless when my bow wore off right before the charging Sphere Guardian (Or whatever, that time in Blackreach was particularly memorable) gets to me. You can turtle up, bash, and Wuld away to recast without getting gangraped. It happens to be the cheapest as well, in terms of Perk investment, you can get away with just Shield Wall, Power, and Deadly bash. For contrast, take a look at the 1H tree to see what all it takes to make a Dagger an effective sidearm...

It's not a primary weapn, though, nor even teachnically a weapon, but a Power Bash staggers a lot longer to recast, and backpedal to where you can shoot them before they recover. In Skuldafn, for example, I was mostly using Fus Rodah to blow back the waves, and waves of Draugr before they could get in an attack, and Power Shot to Stagger at a distance, but the latter isn't reliable, and the former has to cool down, not to mention the inconveniences of your weapon timing out periodically. Sometimes, that's not at the most convenient, and I've found that in Those instances, the Targe of the Blooded out performs any Dagger, even the Blade of Woe, or Gauldur Blackblade with their Absorb Health.

Honestly, the best combo with Bound Bow is Dremora Lords. Cast that first, then arm yourself to support him, you don't need anything else in the vast majority of fights. He'll wear off first (By about a second) warning you to find cover, and recast both, then it's back to business. Once you can cast both of them without recharging, or worn magicka, and have a decent Health pool, you can run around in a loincloth, and take on Foreswarms on fairly even footing. Though, I was actually wearing Heavy Armor with Rahgot, and the Targe. The Sneak penalty doesn't really matter, because at maximum Range, you're out of earshot, so all you really need is Deadly Aim to increase you Damage. Jus crouch long enough to pull it off, otherwise you want to be upright for Mobility.
E849AB49D6704D77C9A540C488EAD8D4FDFB595F

18D1AEAF82439435EF4A1B82AA1DE707BA0170FF

Yes, she has Green Skin:
C70A3E1E58ACC451CA523EC1CAD8032E1E066DEF

Ah, see. I am definitely not thinking about the game the way I need to be. I hadn't even thought about bound bow dropping and having your shield already equipped. I actually really like shield bashing, but I really want to try some archery. I like the way you did it. I've heard using conjuration with the dremora tanking for you and sniping with bound bow can get boring and OP, but I suppose when it does you can just stop using the tank to make things more interesting. Can you show me your build if you don't mind?

I gotta get me that shield. I love the way it looks and the bleed affect sounds awesome(till you run into hordes of skeletons lol)

I want to make sure I understand duel wielding. I know how to equip 2 weapons, but how exactly do you use them. Do you swing one and then the other? Can you swing them both at once? It seems like if you swing one and then the other that you aren't really getting in more swings then just swing one weapon over and over, but I didn't seem like I could make it swing both at the same time. Playing on 360 if that matters(Left and Right trigger are my attack buttons).
To start, you have a double attack which is slower, but hits with both weapons. (Tap both triggers.) Also, you have a Dual Power Attacks (Hold down both triggers) which spins around, and scores 3, or four hits in a row, but takes a lot of Stamina. Eventually, you can get the Dual Flurry perks which makes your strikes faster with either weapon, as long as you're Dual Wielding. Dual Savagery also adds mor damage to both weapons, however you can't block, since you Have to have 2 weapons out for those to be active.

Also, you have more versatility, because you can have an Axe in one hand, a Dagger in the other, and any of a variety of Enchantments on either, or both. So, should you find a Sword that staggers on strike, and a Dagger that Absorbs Health, you can use one button to keep them stunlocked, and the other for sips of health when you need it. Generally, you want the fastest weapon in your left hand, becuase it's automatically slower, and also determines the speed of the Dual Attacks. So with a Sword, and Dagger, both will strike at the same speed if the Sword is in the right hande, though with 2 swords, the left one will swing slower. Axe/Sword, and Mace/Axe combos also balance the L/R striking speed this way.

And finally, the offhand has different Power Attacks, depending on the weapon you have equipped. The Right hand has the forehand, followed by a backhand, and an overhand Power Attack. With a dagger in the left hand, you get the regular diagonal slash, but a quick feign, and stab for a power attack. Sword do this (I call it a Riposte') a little slower, but with a lot more Reach, the Blades' Sword having the longest of all 1handed attacks (Not counting Miraak's Sword, which is special, and in an Expansion.) I like this particular strike, because it breaks a Charge before they hit you with a good chance to Stagger them, and doesn't change you button mapping much from the Bow Bash (So with the Sword/Bound Bow combo, I actually use the Sword in the left hand, like a Shield without Block.) Axes, and Maces have a slower Backhand which is nevertheless extremely powerful with a good chance to stagger. With dual flurry, it's actually pretty quick with an axe, and can add bleeding damage with Hack and Slash, but this is a total of 6 more perks just for that (Dual Flurry/Savagery, and H&S 3) compared with 3 (Shield Wall 1, Power/Deadly Bash) plus the ability to Block.

I like the Blades' Sword/Skyforge Steel (L/R) combo best, because I got fast/reach, and stagger/bleed with the Dual Wield perks to enhance them further, but that's with a dedicated Dual Wield fighter. Since you're an Archer, you'll end up investing mor into your Sidearm than you do into you primary weapon skill, and most likely do more damage that way too, so the Bow becomes more of a backup. If you do do this with the Bound Bow, Targe/Axe combo, cast the Bow right handed so you can block, and bash for an opening to draw your Axe. With Dual Wield, you can Power Attack with your lighter/faster weapon for the same thing, and either recast, or drop in another weapon. Or, hotkey the BB spell, which should drop into your left hand, and you offhand, which should appear without dedoing the draw animation, but when your bow disappears, you will automatically draw your right hand weapon. I'd much rather have the Dagger pop in instantly, so I can attack right away...

Ah, see. I am definitely not thinking about the game the way I need to be. I hadn't even thought about bound bow dropping and having your shield already equipped. I actually really like shield bashing, but I really want to try some archery. I like the way you did it. I've heard using conjuration with the dremora tanking for you and sniping with bound bow can get boring and OP, but I suppose when it does you can just stop using the tank to make things more interesting. Can you show me your build if you don't mind?

I gotta get me that shield. I love the way it looks and the bleed affect sounds awesome(till you run into hordes of skeletons lol)
It's extremely non-intuitive, which is probably why I've never run into anyone else who uses this exploit before I tell them about it. So, it's not really "Wrong" thinking, I'm pretty sure the Dev team never intended the Bound Bow/Targe combo, but incredibly playable, nonetheless. Also, Skeletons don't bleed, but with Deadly Powerbashes are still 1 hitter quitters even without the Bleeding damage. It doesn't shatter them on impact, but more often than not, they take a knee. I will warn you that Bashes don't seem to damage a kneeling foe, so you have to wait for them to stand up, but they aren't a threat, either,. So, you can move on to another target, or recast to shoot them...

mike208

It's extremely non-intuitive, which is probably why I've never run into anyone else who uses this exploit before I tell them about it. So, it's not really "Wrong" thinking, I'm pretty sure the Dev team never intended the Bound Bow/Targe combo, but incredibly playable, nonetheless. Also, Skeletons don't bleed, but with Deadly Powerbashes are still 1 hitter quitters even without the Bleeding damage. It doesn't shatter them on impact, but more often than not, they take a knee. I will warn you that Bashes don't seem to damage a kneeling foe, so you have to wait for them to stand up, but they aren't a threat, either,. So, you can move on to another target, or recast to shoot them...

How do you level your magic/health/stamina with this build. Seems like you need a lot of each

Can you show me your build if you don't mind?
Sorry: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! is the basics. Shield Charge is when you pretty much don't have to worry about being overrun again, just keep enough Stamina to sheathe, and bulldoze through them, recast, and shoot them getting back up. When you have enough Conjuration (Inevitable) you can add Expert, and Summoner for Dremora Lord. You can also go on to Atromancy, Elemental Potency, and Twin Souls for even more infantry, but the gateway perks don't affect Dremora Lords. (I actually went Necromancy, but this is better.)

Normally, Storm Atronachs would be good extra firepower to shoot down dragons, but you're going to fast track the Main Questline to get the Targe anyway, and the very next Quest you get Dragonrend, so you probably won't need to. Jenassa does very well as a follower for this style, as you can keep them stunned while she covers you, or she can hold her own with Dual wield with your support fire. Even with you both holding a bottleneck, or corridor (The one with the Wiights in High Gate Ruins comes to mind) you bash, she slashes, and you're basically a short section of Phalanx. Just don't get surrounded out in the open, you should be fine.

I put it ALL in health. Magicka was pretty much handled by Vokun, and being Altmer. Stamina is just to bash your way out, and Wuld away (The targe is your backup) and the Bow doesn't need much Stamina unless you haven't learned to quickscope, and stay in Eagle Eye. (A lot of people abuse Steady hand, which I don't even use, and it guzzles Stamina.) I suggest the same, until you actually realise that you're a little low on Stamina, or to gear up for simulcasting Dremora Lord, then Twin Souls so you have to be abke to drop two of them, and still cast the bow. You're not doing Heavy Armor, so Stamina is even less of a problem, but Health is even more critical.

I don't do H/S/M proportions, over the 'net. What works for me won't work for you, because you're not going to play exactly the way i do. You're natuarally going to get hit more, or sprint less, or vicea versa anyway, and I always take it level by level. Whateve I need more, that's what I get, but there's a default dump stat, and in this one, it's probably Health.

Erqiosk

I'd go bound bowyer. Sneak archer can get really boring after a while (beentheredonethat)

1. Because you'll just be sneaking everywhere and 1-shotting any living thing.
2. Your light armor skill won't lvl up by itself as you're not taking alot of hits. - Makes you squishy.

Going for the Conjuration tree, you can get atronachs or zombies to aid you. You could take a Bound Sword as backup. Sneak tree's Backstab perk makes your Bound Sword do amazing dmg. Bound Wepons can be poisoned - so keep that in mind :) ( Illusion Quiet Casting perk is pretty much needed for sneakynes!!)

- This way you'll have more variety for your archer!

( Illusion Quiet Casting perk is pretty much needed for sneakynes!!)
Unless you're safely out of earshot. Bound bow lasts a while, more than long enough to cast it way ahead of time, and it's Maximum Range isn't much closer than the sound travels. It helps, but it's not absolutely necessary, especially considering that you have to grind up 25 levels just to get it, and Invisibility (The most powerful stealth spell) is incompatible with Bound Bow.