Heavy magic user. Magicka, Health and Stamina?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

FullmetalHeart20

I'm around level 40 as an Altmer mage. I use alteration, destruction, conjuration, restoration, and archery as a preemptive strike/backup weapon. Basically, I'm a witch hunter. I'm just wondering how much magicka I actually need before investing in health and stamina. What proportions work for you guys and gals? Playing on master.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
For my witchhunter I use a ratio of 2:1:2 So when leveling I put two into Magicka, one into health, two into stamina, until you get like a nice pool of magicka then put more into health. Though you're using more magic than me so I don't know, since I don't use destruction. I use Conjuration (Bound weapons), archery, one handed, sneak, illusion for the silent casting, restoration and alteration for the magic resist.

Zaan

Dunmer Enthusiast
Unless I'm playing a warrior character who puts more emphasis on weapons I never put points into stamina. For my Altmer Mage I put points exclusively in magicka until level 35... and just had the buff from the Gauldur Amulet for my health (30 points). It worked exceptionally well, as Altmer are the most elusive characters in the game (they move the quickest of all races out without armor), as conjured atronachs can help you tank while you pelt them with spells from your ludicrous magicka pool. With Impact from Destruction you will hardly have anything to fear out in the open, but in enclosed spaces like dungeons you'll need to be a bit more aware of your surroundings.

Currently I'm level 49, sitting on 920 magicka (buffed by enchantments) and 250 health. With all three perks from Mage Armor, The Lord Stone, the Necromage boost and Ulfric's Bracers, Ebonyflesh gives a very respectable 450 or so armor rating. I shook things up a bit started using a silver sword enchanted with Chaos Damage + Absorb Health, meaning you can get in the thick of it (within reason of course) and hold your own while still feeling like a bad-ass. You don't even need to put points into One Handed because the enchants will do all the damage.

FullmetalHeart20

Unless I'm playing a warrior character who puts more emphasis on weapons I never put points into stamina. For my Altmer Mage I put points exclusively in magicka until level 35... and just had the buff from the Gauldur Amulet for my health (30 points). It worked exceptionally well, as Altmer are the most elusive characters in the game (they move the quickest of all races out without armor), as conjured atronachs can help you tank while you pelt them with spells from your ludicrous magicka pool. With Impact from Destruction you will hardly have anything to fear out in the open, but in enclosed spaces like dungeons you'll need to be a bit more aware of your surroundings.

Currently I'm level 49, sitting on 920 magicka (buffed by enchantments) and 250 health. With all three perks from Mage Armor, The Lord Stone, the Necromage boost and Ulfric's Bracers, Ebonyflesh gives a very respectable 450 or so armor rating. I shook things up a bit started using a silver sword enchanted with Chaos Damage + Absorb Health, meaning you can get in the thick of it (within reason of course) and hold your own while still feeling like a bad-ass. You don't even need to put points into One Handed because the enchants will do all the damage.
Thanks! Would you mind giving me the base magicka?

Zaan

Dunmer Enthusiast
My base at the moment is 490.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I normally aim for 250 health and all the rest in magicka, 0 in stamina. you really need a lot of magicka.

Everyone is going to be different, depending on playstyle. I take it you're unarmored? I take it level by level, if the last one I died, or came a little too close too many times, time for Health. Stamina is for Sprinting with that kind of build, use Wuld more. Even with Eagle Eye, and Steady Aim, if you don't hold it down the whole time, you don't exhaust yourself. Prioritise it last (I.E. you're feeling pretty good on Health and Magicka, maybe some Stamina would be nice) and Wuld more. Magicka should be highest priority to a degree, but you have to be able to recognise when you have enough. New spells coming out soon? Might want to stock up on some. Running out in a tough fight? A little more might do...

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
With the last mage build I had I just gave all my level up upgrades to Magicka, this allowed me to utilise more powerful spells earlier on.

Obviously my health was a weakness, but being a use of long range spell and rarely coming into close contact with enemies it wasn't a huge problem. I just tried to quickly level up my Enchanting skills so I could boost my health that way.

I didn't upgrade my stamina at all really, I was happy for Marcurio or whatever his name was to carry my luggage :D

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
How much magika you actually "need" is heavily dependent on how into enchanting you are. A skilled enchanter can get by on very little magika, as magika costs in your two most heavily used schools can be reduced to 0%.

In light of this, over-loading yourself on magika points can ultimately be quite wasteful.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Depends...if you plan to dual-enchant for magicka free casting, not much.

Otherwise, on a hybrid like yours, I take around 250-300 magicka then split the rest between stamina & health to suit your playstyle, but wouldn't take stamina much over 200-250 IMO.

Volanere

Grand Magister
I did a 3:1:1 ratio buffing up magicka three time then 1 per health and stamina.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
I havent so far encountered any problems with my health and put all my points into magicka, seeing as everything I do takes people and monsters out in 2-3 hits I havent taken a hit. In general I would once at a higher lvl look for good health enchantments, so that I may spend my points on magicka rather than health, and same goes with Stamina, seeing as my hood and robes give me good amount of enchantments on my magic I put the rest on Boots, Gauntlets, necklaces and rings, and every now and then a few visits to some divine altars.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts