Heavy Mage Build and Questions

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
Hi everyone. I am going to start making a Heavy Mage, which I have just called it that, but it is a mage character wearing Heavy Armor, maybe it has a more appropriate name.

Skills I will use are: Destruction, Conjuration, Restoration, Enchanting, Heavy Armor.

I don't know which race yet, but that isn't too important. Suggestions?

Here is my preliminary perk spread Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

I typically don't play characters past level 40 because I love the beginning when you are weak and have to become strong and have "create-new-character-itis."

I don't know if I should get into Alteration for the Magic Resist perks and the Paralyze spell eventually. I was thinking no on Alteration since I am using Heavy Armor for defense. I know the Alteration spells will help buff my armor, but it seems like it is easier to let go than if I weren't using Heavy Armor.

I will use 4/5 Juggernaut and Well Fitted to hit the armor cap eventually with Atronach Forge created Daedric armor and Enchanted smithing gear with a bought or found 50% Blacksmithing potion. I will need to level my smithing up to about 40 or so, but that will be quick to do, and I don't want to level it any higher.

I plan to use Gharol the Orc Blacksmith from the Stronghold by Markarth to train my Heavy Armor up to 75, where it should be able to get me to the armor cap. I will afford this by selling her all of my enchanted weapons I will be making to level enchanting to "make back" my training cost money.

I don't know if I should use the Steed standing stone, or the Lord stone in the early game, and if I should ever take the Conditioning perk. Though I probably will take the Conditioning perk eventually.

For the early / mid game, until my enchanting is high enough, I will probably be using Heavy Gauntlets and Boots with a robe and hood. I might like to wear Nahkriin (20% destruction / restoration and +50 Magicka) until I get my Daedric dual enchanted helmet.

I don't want to have any free magic schools. I will be leveling enchanting all the way, and I will probably reduce the costs by 75-90% or so. That's why I am taking most of the cost reduction perks. I wonder if this is even necessary if I plan to enchant cost down mostly anyway?

I plan to put most of my level up points into Magicka, and some into Health, maybe 2/1 ratio or something similar.

For Conjuration, I will be using Atromancy until I get Dremora Lord, and I took the Atronach perk path to Twin Souls because they affect Dremora Lords as well.

In Restoration, I took Recovery to help boost Magicka regen, and Respite so I will be able to constantly sprint everywhere, then heal my stamina and keep sprinting.

In Destruction, I will be focusing on Fire for damage, and probably using Shock unperked where I find Fire resistances. I don't know how I feel about using the Impact perk, and I am hesitant to take it.

I don't want to use any Illusion because I have been down that path and it is far too strong, especially since I'm already using Conjuration.

I am only perking these 5 skills, and I will be using Lockpicking for opening chests, and Smithing a bit just to get to 40 or 50 so I can hit the armor cap.

Wow, this got long quick.

TL;DR

Heavy Armor, Destruction, Conjuration, Restoration, Enchanting.
Should I use Alteration?
Should I use the Steed Stone (or which stone? Lord?) and or eventually take Conditioning?
Should I use Impact? I don't like to cheese that much and I would probably feel bad.
I am enchanting magic costs to 75-90%. Do I need the cost reduction perks?
Any other suggestions in general?
If you really read the entire build, you get a magic cookie!

Xarnac

You are talking about a Battlemage. A mage that wears heavy armor, but doesn't use weapons (or very light use). Take and use whatever is in your characters prerogative. You'll obviously need a damage skill (destruction), and your armor skill (heavy armor). Plus you want Conjuration, and Restoration for healing. With enchanting and the armor, you shouldn't need mage armor spells or by extension Alteration. But it is up to you what character your making. Don't take for practical or min/max purposes, take for RP purposes.

You will need the cost reduction perks, unless your really going for around 90% and/or put most of your level points in Magicka. Your build isn't so skill heavy, so you should be fine even if you do spend perks on reduction.

Doomy

A good mage with impact, destruction, enchant and conjuration has no need for:
Armour
Restoration
Alteration
Or anything else really

But you don't want to cheese, so have fun

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk 2

Xarnac

It's not about need, its about choice. A good Battlemage wouldn't be caught dead without armor...

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
Thank you guys for the replies. I have heard a Battlemage is the same as a Spellsword, both use a one handed weapon or a conjured weapon, so I was hesitant to call my character that. And yes, I agree Doomy, Destruction Conjuration Enchanting is a full and capable build alone. Yeah, I have it in my mindset to play an armored mage this time around, so I'll be sticking to the Heavy for roleplay. I think I will take a few of the cost reduction perks, and see where I'm at with Enchanting, but I may end up taking them all, like you said I have some room in the build still. I guess I won't take Impact perk then either, for somewhat more of a challenge, and to help level up my Heavy Armor.

Xarnac

A Battlemage rarely uses weapons. He's a "pure" mage with armor basically. A Spellsword is a fighter and a mage, but no sneak. Basically a magic using warrior. In the ES sense of the classes.

Valyn

A Battlemage rarely uses weapons. He's a "pure" mage with armor basically. A Spellsword is a fighter and a mage, but no sneak. Basically a magic using warrior. In the ES sense of the classes.
Hmm, ive always thought of a battlemage with a sword in right and, and a spell in the left, with heavy armor. I think a spellsword is someone who doesnt wear armor, uses alteration for defence, and conjures weapons.

Xarnac

A Battlemage is a mage with armor, and a Spellsword is a warrior with mage skills. In the ES that is. As has been seen in all of the games. The Battlemage can and does use weapons (as any pure mage can/may in certain situations), but he's armor and magic first. While the Spellsword is more reliant on his "warrior" skills and unpredictability.

Valyn

A Battlemage is a mage with armor, and a Spellsword is a warrior with mage skills. In the ES that is. As has been seen in all of the games. The Battlemage can and does use weapons (as any pure mage can/may in certain situations), but he's armor and magic first. While the Spellsword is more reliant on his "warrior" skills.
Well the term "Battlemage" is not needed if you only use magic to attack, because armor or not, all mages go into battle.

Xarnac

Tell that to Bethesda then. Like I said, some Battlemages do use weaponry, but they are battleMAGES first.

Xarnac

That's how classes have always been. The Spellsword has more warrior skills, the Battlemage is a mage with armor and weapon use (dependent on the game and build ie there were a lot more skills overall in previous ES games, so more skills for everybody etc. Even if they end up being filler to round them out).

Valyn

That's how classes have always been. The Spellsword has more warrior skills, the Battlemage is a mage with armor and weapon use (dependent on the game and build ie there were a lot more skills overall in previous ES games, so more skills for everybody etc. Even if they end up being filler to round them out).
Well look on youtube, you will see "Battlemages" heavily relying on weapons.

Xarnac

I couldn't care less about youtube, Im talking ES, class(ification) and lore.

Xarnac

Er, use the in game text per the UESP. And as you'll see they rely more on magic than spellswords. Hence their names. battleMAGE, and spellSWORD. What TC wants and is describing is in fact a Battlemage.

Valyn

Er, use the in game text per the UESP. And as you'll see they rely more on magic than spellswords. Hence their names. battleMAGE, and spellSWORD. What TC wants and is describing is in fact a Battlemage.
I could just reply back BATTLEmage, and SPELLsword, and the Elder Scrolls Wiki is just as reliable as UESP

Xarnac

I could just reply back BATTLEmage, and SPELLsword, and the Elder Scrolls Wiki is just as reliable as UESP
No, as it is not verbatim. In the words and lore lies the truth, know it. The Battlemage is more magic based, the Spellsword is more warrior based. TC wants a Battlemage.

Valyn

No, as it is not verbatim. In the words and lore lies the truth, know it. The Battlemage is more magic based, the Spellsword is more warrior based. TC wants a Battlemage.
Well, the way you say a battlemage is, it should be called a heavy mage.