• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

RTSullivan-DragonBorn

Premium Member
I just discovered the Hall of the Vigilant and it has been burnt down with a few vampire corpses and death hounds, but I am sure on another character when I discovered it, it was fine. Anyone got any ideas? is this a Dawnguard thing?

Aeidir

Archmage and Arch Curate
Yes, it is destroyed during the story of Dawnguard. You can hear Isran talking about it with a named Vigil the first time you enter Fort Dawnguard. I would assume that it is fine until you start that quest, but I don't think there was anything to do there so it shouldn't mess up any of your quests.

Aeidir

Archmage and Arch Curate
Haha, as the Hall is littered in vampire and deathhound corpses, and the fact that the vampires in Dimhollow have Vigilants as prisoners, I think we can assume that the vamps were indeed responsible. Anyways, I don't think the hall is destroyed until you start the Dawnguard quests, so you can probably visit it before that time if you wish. I don't think you can get any quests from them though, which is odd.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
A likely story. Those could be anyone's death hounds!

But seriously, I do think the Hall of the Vigilants was destroyed (possibly!) by vampires at some point prior to Dawnguard being patched into the game. I'm not sure, but I do remember going up there and seeing all my vigilant friends dead.

..Wait, that sounded incriminating.

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
I love the Vigilants, they're hilarious to kill and a good source of black souls. Vampires :)

Aeidir

Archmage and Arch Curate
I don't tend to kill the Vigilants, despite them being pretty useless. My preferred sources of black souls are Thalmor soldiers. Though with how nasty the soul cairn seems, some of my characters with higher morals aren't too sure how they feel about black souls anymore...

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
Yes well I don't always kill Vigilants, I sometimes use walled soul farms. Or villages as some people call them. And I tend not to kill Thalmor (all they're doing is killing a few brutish Nords).

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I tend not to work with black soul gems when I can avoid it, and that was before the Dawnguard DLC showed us where these poor fools ended up... No one really deserves a trip to The Soul Cairn, not even the lowest of bandit scum. Though if they're real persistent or particularly nasty, I will make them a dead thrall for a while before dismissing them to find whatever afterlife they've earned.

I don't kill the vigilants that attack me. Normally, they'd be correct in doing so. Vampires are dangerous, and I'll help them kill any that they're entangled with as I ride by. They do good work. I respect their zeal, if not their methods.

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
That's why you make them fight each other. And I to usually help kill vampires even if they are meant to be on my side you never know who will stab you in the back.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I kill the vampires and will attempt to heal the vigilants in the split instant before they become hostile. Then I paralyze them, summon Arvak and ride off. Leaving them sore and a bit bewildered, but wiser for the experience.

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
Isn't Arvak great, who doesn't want a funny coloured, flaming, skeletal horse that appears when called?

VKitKat

Most Commonly known as The Dragonborn
Except my Arvak dies when I unmount him and I have to summon him again every 5 seconds