Firefox Memory + This Forum

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
I've noticed that while I keep firefox open and browse this forum for a while, the memory usage just increases and increases. One time it got all the way to 500 MB with just one tab of this forum open. Anyone else running into this issue? I know I can close and reopen firefox, but I don't want to have to do that every time I browse the forums.

Reiji

Dark Mage of Clan Thu'um
Yea, I've been getting that increase as well. Firefox usually runs at 50mb and now it runs at nearly 190mb. Forums is too awesome for Firefox maybe?

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Odd, maybe because of all the ajax features this has. e.g. you get a real-time notification if you get a private message or alert (so you don't have to refresh the page) etc.

Works perfectly with chrome, though!

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
I just despise chrome's non-private browser. They monitor every website you go to and have access to your personal information (Even if they might not use it). I'm sorry, but that is not something I would trust using, even if it does handle memory better.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I think the incognito is supposed to avert that, no?

I just despise chrome's non-private browser. They monitor every website you go to and have access to your personal information (Even if they might not use it). I'm sorry, but that is not something I would trust using, even if it does handle memory better.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
The incognito does avert it, but why should I have to use that whenever I want to use the browser? o_O Maybe i'm being too paranoid.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
The incognito does avert it, but why should I have to use that whenever I want to use the browser? o_O Maybe i'm being too paranoid.

Whatever works for you, really :)

I really love Chrome personally. I used to like Opera for browsing as well. It's just a pity that there's so much crappy web code out there that Opera doesn't like.

As far as my personal info, I'm sure it's been out there forever somewhere or another. I started using the internet (before it had all these pretty pictures) in 1990. Frankly, I'm just not that interesting. Heh.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Maybe I should suck it up and just download it and see if the same problem happens on it. I kind of want to test it out now.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, absolutely use the incognito functionality. Don't open the tabs normally. I'm on my MacBook at the moment and the keystroke is ctrl-cmd-N for incognito. It's got to be close to that on the PC. Check the File dropdown or the little wrench on the right.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
I found my Firefox memory usage going through the roof this morning - something like 350mb - but that was with Facebook; I hadn't opened the forums. Maybe it's a recent Firefox update or something?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Firefox user here, I don’t seem to encounter this problem. Runs like it always does for me.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Yea i'm thinking there's a general leak going on. I noticed it happening when I was watching some American Dad on a website. Every time I would load a new episode it would get slower and slower.

Firefox user here, I don’t seem to encounter this problem. Runs like it always does for me.

Yea, but have you left the browser on for more than an hour while browsing without closing?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
More than one hour? Yeah, easily. But I’ll keep an eye out for you and look whether is happens at some point anyway.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Here, i'll browse the forums for an hour and then take a screenshot and show you how much memory firefox is using. I did test out chrome btw and the memory consistently sat around 50-60mb.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Well, Firefox always uses around 190MB for me so maybe that’s why there is no significant change ...

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Alright so here it is. After running around on the forums for about an hour, my memory usage was around 320 MB.

dfisqq.jpg

Weird, I posted it shrunken for message boards but it didn't give the option to make full size so I had to post it full size. Then it goes and shrinks it and allows zooming for full size.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts