Do you think Necromancy is evil?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Benthos

Proud Mer
I don't find it evil, just disrespectful since they're not likely to be asking the dead for permission to use their bodies.

Panda Rawrlord

Herald of Panda-Monium
I think necromancy evil. To me, it just seems immoral to raise a person who died from being impaled, burnt, etc. and force them to fight. That said the raised person could suffer the same fate twice. I don't know about you but those killcams look pretty darn painful to me.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I think necromancy evil. To me, it just seems immoral to raise a person who died from being impaled, burnt, etc. and force them to fight. That said the raised person could suffer the same fate twice. I don't know about you but those killcams look pretty darn painful to me.
YOu just animate the body most of the time, they dont have to re-die again

Benthos

Proud Mer
That's if you force their spirit with their body as well.

JoeReese

You can re-kill your dead thrall simply by conjuring something else temporary, like an atronach. I certainly didn't want to cut Erik's throat, since the only reason I thralled him was so I could get his body back home.

I don't find it evil, just disrespectful since they're not likely to be asking the dead for permission to use their bodies.
I think i have to agree with you on that one. Do you reckon though that when someone is raised from the dead that their soul is actually returned to them for that specific period of time, or do you think that the person using the necromancy is actually just emboding the corpse with a magical essence in order to raise their physical form to fight?

Adam Warlock

I think i have to agree with you on that one. Do you reckon though that when someone is raised from the dead that their soul is actually returned to them for that specific period of time, or do you think that the person using the necromancy is actually just emboding the corpse with a magical essence in order to raise their physical form to fight?
Since the Dead Thralls will occasionally make comments like "Release me" and "Free at last" as well as the same combat taunts as made when alive , I believe that some aspects of the prior personality continues.

Is it evil to raise them ?
Well , that`s a gray area for certain.
Aren`t unwilling conscripts who are drafted during times of war in much the same position except that they still have a life to lose?

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
"Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves." - Lestat de Lioncourt: Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Necromancy is a strange, taboo arcane art. Yet, I must agree it's obscure nature can cause some to view it as a form of evil.

FullmetalHeart20

"Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves." - Lestat de Lioncourt: Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Necromancy is a strange, taboo arcane art. Yet, I must agree it's obscure nature can cause some to view it as a form of evil.
It raises the dead. Against their will. Nothing very obscure about that.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Well, you have to put something I there to get it moving. And if you can raise a thrall permanently, it makes it clear that it does not want.

On some level they do seem to "fight" against it don't they? Hmmm, I may have to retract my statement about Thrall's not having a will. Maybe it's a small, fraction of their personality escaping from the spell? I know their soul is passed on, but maybe some residual essence of it is still intact? Interesting. Makes Thralling my victims even more fun! :) Point of view, friend. Point of view.

But what of the Thralls that converse as though they are alive? Astrid and Ulfric come to mind. Clearly, when you kill Ulfric, his soul is in Sovngarde. Got me thinking now. Nice.

PrisonerLizzie

Well, you have to put something I there to get it moving. And if you can raise a thrall permanently, it makes it clear that it does not want.
This brings me back to my hypothetical question what if someone leaves their body to Necromancy post mortem? Is in not safe to assume that a Necromancer would want the art continued and therefore they are "acceptable" to thrall?

Benthos

Proud Mer
I don't think their soul returns unless their soul is forced to return which we don't have the technology or any means of sucking a soul into their own body after they have passed. It would be against religious practices if that were to happen and depending on your belief, it would be an easy escape from such selective punishment, wouldn't you say? But that's if we were to say that's the absolute truth or not which this forum isn't about. On topic, I don't think anyone can really force a spirit back into their old body even with voodoo or any magical/spiritual means. Once the spirit passes, it passes and that's if the person had a soul to begin with.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I suppose if using soul gems in acceptable, then why wouldn't Necromancy, as long as its not enslaving the soul, could it possibly be better than soul trapping...in a moral sense?

PrisonerLizzie

I don't think their soul returns unless their soul is forced to return which we don't have the technology or any means of sucking a soul into their own body after they have passed. It would be against religious practices if that were to happen and depending on your belief, it would be an easy escape from such selective punishment, wouldn't you say? But that's if we were to say that's the absolute truth or not which this forum isn't about. On topic, I don't think anyone can really force a spirit back into their old body even with voodoo or any magical/spiritual means. Once the spirit passes, it passes and that's if the person had a soul to begin with.

I don't thrall, and even if I did I probably wouldn't have paid attention up until this point, so please permit a stupid question. If you kill someone with a soul trap once then thrall them and kill them with a soul trap a second time can you fill two soul gems? Or does the kill only have a soul the first time around?

Benthos

Proud Mer
I don't thrall, and even if I did I probably wouldn't have paid attention up until this point, so please permit a stupid question. If you kill someone with a soul trap once then thrall them and kill them with a soul trap a second time can you fill two soul gems? Or does the kill only have a soul the first time around?
Necromancy isn't said to require soul gems, you can still take their souls into soul gems (which you can continuously use Soul Trap spell on a fallen enemy an endless amount of times and still level up your Conjuration) then even reanimate their corpse. They do not require a soul to be reanimated, after you reanimate them, they normally turn to dust so you can't soul trap a second time. That's usually how it goes for me anyway, this is with Raise Zombie, Reanimate Corpse, Staff and Scroll powers, Ritual Stone power, and other spells used in game.