Do you have to enchant a weapon to rename it?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wolfen McGunz

I serve the Light with a swift blade of justice!
Can anyone give me some clarification on this?

I eventually would like to rename some of my better weapons that I recieve; do you have to enchant the item before you can name it? Or do you just simply need to only use the arcane enchanter without actually enchanting the item?

AS88

Staff member
I assume that there's a way on PC, but if you're on console you do need to enchant the weapon to rename it.

Snoball

23rd President of the United States of America
Yup, the enchantment is required, sadly. Personally, I hate the fact that it's required since I'm not a big fan of enchanted weapons/armor, but if anything, you can give it a barely noticeable enchantment (unless you have pc of course) ;)

tonj

Master of Distraction
On xbox you have to actually enchant the item to rename it. The time it takes you to enter the desired text does not detract from the duration of any active fortify enchant potions, which is nice if you prefer proper capitalization and/or coming up with witty names for your stuff lol.

JoeReese

On xbox you have to actually enchant the item to rename it. The time it takes you to enter the desired text does not detract from the duration of any active fortify enchant potions, which is nice if you prefer proper capitalization and/or coming up with witty names for your stuff lol.

That's good to know. I've always been afraid of that, since without renaming at all, I still run out of potion too quickly. I can usually (with pre-planning) get two items dual-enchanted, before having to take a new potion.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
This is actually something I've always wondered myself. All the great weapons have names. Excalibur, Sting, Legbiter...I need not go on. I wish there was a way to simply give a name to a weapon.

Here's a good question: what type of enchantment do you recommend? I basically play magic free, so it would need to be something really unnoticeable.

JoeReese

You could do something small, like a chance to paralyze. Or, banish, so it would have no effect at all unless you were striking a daedra.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Here's a good question: what type of enchantment do you recommend? I basically play magic free, so it would need to be something really unnoticeable.

Pretty much anything. Just make a weak enchantment and don't refill the magic when it needs it done.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Legendary Wooden Sword of Ass Paddling, my most deadly weapon. I just enchanted it to rename it but never recharged it. Choose like an expensive enchantment, one that makes the weapon worth more and then max it out so it has very few charges.

sticky runes

there's a poacher's axe which comes with an enchantment that only affects animals. I think it's found in Halted Steam Camp, the same place you get the transmute spell. Disenchant that, and you should be able to use it without doing weird things to human and undead enemies. At the least, you'll do a tiny bit extra damage against trolls and saber cats!

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
there's a poacher's axe which comes with an enchantment that only affects animals. I think it's found in Halted Steam Camp, the same place you get the transmute spell. Disenchant that, and you should be able to use it without doing weird things to human and undead enemies. At the least, you'll do a tiny bit extra damage against trolls and saber cats!
This is what I'm thinking, too.