Companions - What's the Point?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Let's start with a little background. As a high level warrior and mercenary, that likes to assassinate using a bow and arrow, I'm not the most social of people. Face it, I don't even like to take sides in the Storm Cloaks/Imperial issues, although, apparently I'm initiated in to both sides (?) and could conceivably go either way.

Still, I seem to be going through horses, dogs and companions (followers), like good scoma. No matter who I take or how well I equip them, they always seem to rush in to conflict and get themselves killed.

Perhaps I should give them up, but they do take a lot of the heat, leaving me to do what I do so well.

Since I don't want to get my housecarl killed, can anyone advise where I can pick up followers (paid, of course - that way they know what they're in for), preferably warriors (those mages get on my nerves - they think they know everything).

I don't think I'll ever complete one of the companion quests at this rate. Why is it a requirement?

Just sayin'. I started out this last month with a house full of followers (10 maybe?), but, as of last night I'm back to just my housecarl - and she's getting surly 'cause I never take her anywhere. Who does she think she is? My wife? Of course she's dead too... Killed in her own store by someone trying to assassinate me. I miss her sometimes, but, then, I can cook my own meals and her incessant whining about my lack of decorating at home was getting on my nerves...

Sheuneux

Guardian of Talos Worship
Let's start with a little background. As a high level warrior and mercenary, that likes to assassinate using a bow and arrow, I'm not the most social of people. Face it, I don't even like to take sides in the Storm Cloaks/Imperial issues, although, apparently I'm initiated in to both sides (?) and could conceivably go either way.

Still, I seem to be going through horses, dogs and companions (followers), like good scoma. No matter who I take or how well I equip them, they always seem to rush in to conflict and get themselves killed.

Perhaps I should give them up, but they do take a lot of the heat, leaving me to do what I do so well.

Since I don't want to get my housecarl killed, can anyone advise where I can pick up followers (paid, of course - that way they know what they're in for), preferably warriors (those mages get on my nerves - they think they know everything).

I don't think I'll ever complete one of the companion quests at this rate. Why is it a requirement?

Just sayin'. I started out this last month with a house full of followers (10 maybe?), but, as of last night I'm back to just my housecarl - and she's getting surly 'cause I never take her anywhere. Who does she think she is? My wife? Of course she's dead too... Killed in her own store by someone trying to assassinate me. I miss her sometimes, but, then, I can cook my own meals and her incessant whining about my lack of decorating at home was getting on my nerves...

I have been sticking to taking companions that are essential and cannot be killed by me or anyone else, like Serana, she complains ALOT but she is good at taking most of the heat while I deal with them. Regarding paid followers, I would (If you have Dragonborn installed) try your luck at The Retching Netch in Raven Rock, there is a mercenary there by the name of Teldryn Sero, although his stories become annoying to listen too all the time, he is a decent compainion to have, But he can still be killed. Also Mjoll in Riften is an excellent follower in my opinion, and she cannot be killed I believe

Daelon DuLac

I have been sticking to taking companions that are essential and cannot be killed by me or anyone else, like Serana, she complains ALOT but she is good at taking most of the heat while I deal with them. Regarding paid followers, I would (If you have Dragonborn installed) try your luck at The Retching Netch in Raven Rock, there is a mercenary there by the name of Teldryn Sero, although his stories become annoying to listen too all the time, he is a decent compainion to have, But he can still be killed. Also Mjoll in Riften is an excellent follower in my opinion, and she cannot be killed I believe
Hmmm.... interesting! Thank you. I haven't downloaded the DLC's yet (still working on the orignial), but will be this week. Will look for Serena and the other two as well. Everyone seems to love Serena (but I betcha it's not just for her abilities!).

Daelon DuLac

For stealth, I would recommend using Cicero.
Really? The only time I've ever met him was on the road outside of Whiterun when he was bringing his Mom in for burial. He was just plain annoying, although, of course, I had to help him. Is it the same guy? He's nuts!

Sheuneux

Hmmm.... interesting! Thank you. I haven't downloaded the DLC's yet (still working on the orignial), but will be this week. Will look for Serena and the other two as well. Everyone seems to love Serena (but I betcha it's not just for her abilities!).

She`s the only NPC with unique dialogue options, that grows on your character, and then stomps you by denying marriage because she does not like temple`s, and some other things that I wont spoil. I forgot to mention that Serana is with the Dawnguard DLC, sorry `bout that. Another decent, (and absolutely crazy) follower that should be thrown in a asylum would be Cicero, through the Dark Brotherhood questline.

Daelon DuLac

She`s the only NPC with unique dialogue options, that grows on your character, and then stomps you by denying marriage because she does not like temple`s, and some other things that I wont spoil. I forgot to mention that Serana is with the Dawnguard DLC, sorry `bout that. Another decent, (and absolutely crazy) follower that should be thrown in a asylum would be Cicero, through the Dark Brotherhood questline.
I just figure it might be a bit difficult for me to work with the Dark Brotherhood since they have a hit out on me. Maybe not though. Which city?

Sheuneux

I just figure it might be a bit difficult for me to work with the Dark Brotherhood since they have a hit out on me. Maybe not though. Which city?

If you find assassins on the road trying to kill you, once you join them, they will stop sending out people to kill you. The Dark Brotherhood sanctuary is located in Falkreath, but cannot be entered until you are visited by them in your sleep. To initiate that quest, go to Windhelm, or ask local inn keepers about resent rumours, and once they tell you about a Aventus Arentino that is trying to contact the Dark brotherhood, go to him.

Daelon DuLac

If you find assassins on the road trying to kill you, once you join them, they will stop sending out people to kill you. The Dark Brotherhood sanctuary is located in Falkreath, but cannot be entered until you are visited by them in your sleep. To initiate that quest, go to Windhelm, or ask local inn keepers about resent rumours, and once they tell you about a Aventus Arentino that is trying to contact the Dark brotherhood, go to him.
Thanks! The assassins don't bother me really. It's not like they really hurt me since I see 'em coming a mile away (funny that, you'd think professional assassins would be better at sneaking up on a fellow) and get 'em first. At this point I've built up quite a collection of those "Astrid" notes. I really want to meet that b****! She's my kinda girl.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
and her incessant whining about my lack of decorating at home was getting on my nerves...? WOW, they still bother and complaint in games ? Well, for the other part bro, I will suggest Jenassa. She is a drunk in Whiterun that I used her to do Boethiah Calling quest. If you pay her 500 she will follow you and do whatever you want.

Agent of Shadow

Dragon Priest
I take Serana along quite frequently. She's fairly good-looking. :p Of course, nothing beats Lydia... unless you completed Dragon Rising at level 5. o_O

Whisper34

If you finish off The Companions quest line quest line to the point of being Harbinger, but don't do any more quest you can keep some of The Companions as essential and unkillable. Aela is a good choice for stealth based characters as her sneak is high and she does NOT just charge into combat when you are sneaking. She will use a bow if you are using a bow and will not switch to melee weapons until the enemy is on top of her. Don't complete the "Totems of Hiracene" if you want her to remain essential. Vilkas on the other hand who can be kept essential by not curing him of lycanthropy will charge into combat like a mad man.

In my game Skor recently came back to life. I have not taken him on any quest to see if he is essential, but seeing as how he came back from the dead already I guess it won't matter if he dies.

Chadonraz

I used to use followers, but then took a long break. After that I tried returning to having a follower, but it was too annoying always having to pay attention to their position during battle. Especially when I was using two-handers.

Now I go solo, unless a quest forces me to have a follower. I don't mind the Companions (even though the previous poster has a point regarding Vilkas's aggressiveness), but others I just want to get rid of as soon as possible. Especially Barbas and Mercer.
Even Brynjolf and Karliah get on my nerves (one of them almost pushed me down to my death once).

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
I didn't really get companions at first either. I am also a sneaker and a shooter. I don't really need them in your typical bandit hidey-hole. But I was getting tired of being jumped in crypts where a dozen draugr are just waiting for you. I tried a companion out on the last go round. I'll have to admit they have their uses in dungeons where you're getting jumped by a room of badies. I pretty much stick to essential followers like most people mentioned already. I just hate seeing good followers die.

Daelon DuLac

I didn't really get companions at first either. I am also a sneaker and a shooter. I don't really need them in your typical bandit hidey-hole. But I was getting tired of being jumped in crypts where a dozen draugr are just waiting for you. I tried a companion out on the last go round. I'll have to admit they have their uses in dungeons where you're getting jumped by a room of badies. I pretty much stick to essential followers like most people mentioned already. I just hate seeing good followers die.
You don't use the sneek in dungeons too? I sneak in with my bow all the time and clean them out. It even works on the Daegar War Lords - although you have to eliminate 'em quick before they disarm you (of course that is also how I learned to use my disarm shout too - they shout at me, I shout at them - tit for tat).

True, companions can be useful in a dungeon, but against bandits or vampires? No way. I've killed more of 'em that way than I can count. I think I'll just go it alone for the time being.

Nighthiker77

If you conjure atronachs, dremora lords, or thralls, you can just resummon them or re-raise a dead thrall. The DL has really grown on me. Their lines never get old. They even alert you, A challenger is near! I smell fear! Their supernatural detection skill alone is like having another whole passive skill.

The storm atronachs are awesome too because they almost never miss, especially whooping up on some dragons.

Daelon DuLac

If you conjure atronachs, dremora lords, or thralls, you can just resummon them or re-raise a dead thrall. The DL has really grown on me. Their lines never get old. They even alert you, A challenger is near! I smell fear! Their supernatural detection skill alone is like having another whole passive skill.

The storm atronachs are awesome too because they almost never miss, especially whooping up on some dragons.
That's cool! I always enjoy my flame atronach and how enemies react to them (I'm light on Magika so I don't use it often), but I do have a storm antronach spell in my inventory. I'll need to give it a try!

ShadowHunter

Really? The only time I've ever met him was on the road outside of Whiterun when he was bringing his Mom in for burial. He was just plain annoying, although, of course, I had to help him. Is it the same guy? He's nuts!
It is indeed the same guy. To get him as a follower, complete the Dark Brotherhood questline, and spare him in "The Cure For Madness". He is hilarious to have as a follower

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Like others have posted, the simplest solution is to get an essential follower. In the vanilla game that would be Mjoll. Outside of that, the most assured way to make a follower virtually unkillable is to make at least a partial crafting build for your self (Smithing, and Enchanting with the 6-7 perks) supplemented with Blacksmith's and Enchanter's Elixirs to craft custom enchanted gear for them. If you do this correctly with the proper selection of enchantments (resist magic, resist elemental damage, fortify health and absorb health) your follower's will have extremely high resistance to all damages. I have never had a single follower die when I use a crafting build to custom kit their gear.

You can also give your followers healing potions. They'll use them if their health drops low.

In general you should always also equip your followers based on their primary skills.

If you like to use stealth then followers in general are problematic because even the ones with high sneak skill like Cicero and Aela don't have the AI to maintain stealth in combat and will break into open combat rather quickly which may result in giving up your position as well unless you have a powerful stealth build. It may be better to hold off on using followers until you are playing a non-stealth oriented character like a pure mage or a warrior.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I decided not to have any follower with me anymore. Freaking Serana was blowing my mission all the time. I gave her a very high enchanted ring with sneaking ability, precisely because, when I am about to kill vampires or whoever, but especially vampires, I do want to sneak and kill them from a distance with my bow, but she was being seen before I even got ready for combat, blowing my mission and getting me in danger, so to the hell with her and this is not her personal attitude but probably it is present on all of the followers.

They engage when they do not have to and I don’t like that.
I am the leader not them but because there is not way to tell them : don’t engage or we will kill silently ... etc, they just blow the whole thing making me look like a f ... king rookie in front of master vampires or warlords.
I am better off on my own so I am in full charge of every single decision and it is up to me if I blow it or not. Were they trying to protect me ? I don’t need protection but if they follow me, they MUST do exactly as I said, otherwise, see ya in hell. Now she is sitting in the lobby of Dawnguard fort waiting for me. She will get hemorrhoids soon ... lol ... :eek:

“What we do in life, echoes in the eternity” Maximus