Big Question for Skyrim Fans

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

PapaC420

I have recently bought Skyrim about 3 months ago. At 22 I guess I was tired of Madden, other sports games, which are horribly repetitive. As you may guess I'm addicted and I'm craving a good DLC with sizable new locations and cities etc. In the meantime however, I wanted to ask you all if purchasing Oblivion, and Morrowind would be worth it to me? My favorite thing about the game is the scenery and exploring the lands/cities. Is Oblivion, or Morrowind as cool to explore, are weapons and magic any different, not as good perhaps? Even the DLCs. I just wanted to know if I'd be incredible let down by the graphics, land size, or overall game play. Thank you, and I'm sorry if something like this has been posted.

This is a tough one as skyrim is vastly different from the previous games. I personally hated morrowind cause exploring is hard to do cause the enemies in it aren't autolvl'd to your lvl so you go in a random cave and get one shot. Oblivion while I thought it was better than morrowind had some issues with its lvling system. If you don't lvl up the right way you can really screw your character up and be forced to start over (or at least change the difficulty to the easiest setting)

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
Although I love all the Elder Scrolls Games, Oblivion and Morrowind can be a drudge to peeps who have started the series with Skryim. I will say that If you like the story, or just the "Whats going on in Tamriel" part of Skyrim, then it might be fun. If you pay attention to things, you might see things in Oblivion and say 'Oh Hey, that's the guy that has a Bust in the Thieves Guild" or "Hey That guy Looks and sounds just like the Ghost that follows the listener in the DB around!" Other than that, you might loose intrest (just to be honest)

Assassin99

I can't say about morrowind as I have never played it although if you want to know more about the lore of the elder scrolls I suggest getting oblivion which includes a look into the oblivion crisis when mehrunes (may be wrong spelling) Dagon tried to enter Tamriel in his true and terrible form.
The features include revolutionary qraphics for the time it was created, Patric stuert (he is the voice actor for uriel septim), among other things, if graphics are such a big deal for your, here's a couple of pics:

images

images

images

and if you get game of year edition
you get both DLC's and can become sheogorath

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
If you love Skyrim, I would strongly recommend playing Oblivion (never played Morrowind) as I have at least 500 hours in that, murdered that game. Imo, Skyrim is the better game but I had more fun with Oblivion the first time around, maybe because it was a new type of game to me, maybe not. You might be a little let down if you played Oblivion and had started the Elder Scroll series with Skyrim but its still a fluffing classic.

The expansions (DLCs) that Oblivion had were MASSIVE, especially Shivering Isles. It added on practically the size of half of the original game, but completely new content. Knights of the Nine was just as good, very compelling storyline. That is one thing Oblivion will always have over Skyrim is the amount of new material in its expansions. (I'm hoping they will release something the size of SI was for Skyrim though, fingers crossed) Skyrim and Oblivion are both well worth the money so I recommend you at least check out Oblivion. It plays different, I would say it is the less casual version of Skyrim. (With a few more bugs and what not) You really have to think about your build because you can really fluff it up and you'll notice in later levels when you can't kill plops.

Assassin99

If you love Skyrim, I would strongly recommend playing Oblivion (never played Morrowind) as I have at least 500 hours in that, murdered that game. Imo, Skyrim is the better game but I had more fun with Oblivion the first time around, maybe because it was a new type of game to me, maybe not. You might be a little let down if you played Oblivion and had started the Elder Scroll series with Skyrim but its still a f***ing classic.

The expansions (DLCs) that Oblivion had were MASSIVE, especially Shivering Isles. It added on practically the size of half of the original game, but completely new content. Knights of the Nine was just as good, very compelling storyline. That is one thing Oblivion will always have over Skyrim is the amount of new material in its expansions. (I'm hoping they will release something the size of SI was for Skyrim though, fingers crossed) Skyrim and Oblivion are both well worth the money so I recommend you at least check out Oblivion. It plays different, I would say it is the less casual version of Skyrim. (With a few more bugs and what not) You really have to think about your build because you can really fu** it up and you'll notice in later levels when you can't kill pl***.
Hear, hear well said

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
It honestly depends, nobody here will know how you will personally take the earlier games.

Most people who have Skyrim as their first Elder Scrolls game, and have gone back to try Oblivion and Morrowind were disappointed. But some do enjoy the oldies. I think you would be incredibly let down as in the time of Oblivion, which was my first Elder Scrolls game, the graphics were epic and the combat and gameplay overall were the most badass I have ever played. But looking back, they suck.

Not to mention that Oblivion will forever be remembered in my childhood memories, that's what it's all about.

If that was confusing, let me break it down again:

Don't ask for suggestions, because we won't know how you'll take it.

Rent them, or borrow them or whatever, and try them yourself, and then get back to us :)

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
You youngsters and your graphics. I remember back when Morrowind was considered visually impressive. It still is sort of beautiful, in its own homely way. But if you really need shiny objects, there's a mod that brings Morrowind up to Oblivion's graphical level, which is just a pinch behind Skyrim: Welcome | Morroblivion: The Resurrection of Morrowind

I feel that Morrowind's story's a bit stronger, I really liked the atmosphere. The Tribunal, the Nerevarine and the Heart in the Mountain return as minor plot elements in both Oblivion and later in Skyrim, so your understanding of Tamriel in general will be quite a bit improved once you play both Elder Scrolls III and IV. The "Stranger in a Strange Land" theme they followed with Morrowind has been the franchise standard since, and Bethesda has been quoted as saying that's what they were striving for with Skyrim.

Game-play wise, it would seem dated to younger players. In our age of instant gratification, a lot of the classic elements of this genre (the role playing game) have been lost. There are more of the classic RPG elements in Morrowind, and they're enforced with a vengeance.

Be ready for a more challenging overall experience. You must sleep to level up (in Oblivion as well.) raising some skills take a bit more work, you can't run everywhere or you'll soon be exhausted. That sort of thing.

Both Oblivion and Morrowind are really strong titles, I'd recommend them both. And each comes with some really good expansion packs and DLC. The Shivering Isles for Oblivion is possibly the greatest DLC of all time, and The Tribunal for Morrowind is a very strong DLC as well.

Assassin99

You youngsters and your graphics. I remember back when Morrowind was considered visually impressive. It still is sort of beautiful, in its own homely way. But if you really need shiny objects, there's a mod that brings Morrowind up to Oblivion's graphical level, which is just a pinch behind Skyrim: Welcome | Morroblivion: The Resurrection of Morrowind

I feel that Morrowind's story's a bit stronger, I really liked the atmosphere. The Tribunal, the Nerevarine and the Heart in the Mountain return as plot elements in both Oblivion and later in Skyrim. The "Stranger in a Strange Land" theme they followed with Morrowind has been the franchise standard since, and Bethesda has been quoted as saying that's what they were striving for with Skyrim.

Game-play wise, it would seem dated to younger players. In our age of instant gratification, a lot of the classic elements of this genre (the role playing game) have been lost. There are more of the classic RPG elements in Morrowind, and they're enforced with a vengeance.

Be ready for a more challenging overall experience. You must sleep to level up (in Oblivion as well.) raising some skills take a bit more work, you can't run everywhere or you'll soon be exhausted. That sort of thing.

Both Oblivion and Morrowind are really strong titles, I'd recommend them both. And each comes with some really good expansion packs and DLC. The Shivering Isles for Oblivion is possibly the greatest DLC of all time, and The Tribunal for Morrowind is a very strong DLC as well.
I'm your definition of youngster, only 14, and i don't give a plops about graphics.

ShangTsung

after playing skyrim i tried months later to go back to oblivion and just couldn't.. skyrim is so much better than oblivion its like comparing snes to nes, atleast thats how it was for me... don't get me wrong i loved oblivion till i played skyrim but after that there was just no comparison..

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Thanks you guys, are the cities cool looking in oblivion or morrowind? Or even their DLCs

Vivec city and Mornhold are pretty great. There aren't so many large cities in Morrowind, but many small to medium-sized towns in a variety of styles (From various Dark Elven cultural styles to Imperial architecture you may be more accustomed to.

The Imperial City and the White-gold Tower as well as each of the keeps of Cyrodiil are pretty unique, and felt a bit more fleshed out than Skyrim's holds did to me. There's nothing at all in Skyrim even remotely like the Imperial capital.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Thanks you guys, are the cities cool looking in oblivion or morrowind? Or even their DLCs

Oh yes they are.

Morrowind

899715-vivec_super.jpg

Morrowind3.jpg

morrowmod.jpg

Oblivion

17161.gif

17163.gif

Ob-ImpCity01-Large.jpg

I've yet to play Oblivion myself, but I've had to have put several hundred hours of time into Morrowind by now and absolutely love the game. I honestly believe that, aside from the immediacy and intensity of Skyrim's combat, that Morrowind is the superior game. The amount of things you can do and be is crazy. The size of the map is immense - I feel like I've barely explored it yet and I've been playing this game for months. The main quest is excellent as well - full of mystery and intrigue and genuinely terrifying moments. I've long thought that if the best of Morrowind and the best of Skyrim were to be combined, the most perfect game ever created would be the result. It is a much different game from Skyrim though and it does take some getting used to, but if you're willing to give it a go and learn, there's a great treat waiting for you.

As for graphics, I think all TES games are beautiful.

Morgan

I have recently bought Skyrim about 3 months ago. At 22 I guess I was tired of Madden, other sports games, which are horribly repetitive. As you may guess I'm addicted and I'm craving a good DLC with sizable new locations and cities etc. In the meantime however, I wanted to ask you all if purchasing Oblivion, and Morrowind would be worth it to me? My favorite thing about the game is the scenery and exploring the lands/cities. Is Oblivion, or Morrowind as cool to explore, are weapons and magic any different, not as good perhaps? Even the DLCs. I just wanted to know if I'd be incredible let down by the graphics, land size, or overall game play. Thank you, and I'm sorry if something like this has been posted.

I recently (as in after playing a lot of Skyrim) bought a package off Steam that included Morrowind and Oblivion, plus all their extra content. I have to admit I played less than an hour in Morrowind, but Oblivion was great and easily rivaled Skyrim. Part of this is that there is just a metric assload of mods for it, many of which add textures and effects to rival Skyrim's. I played it while on a long trip when all I had was a laptop that couldn't handle Skyrim, and when I finally got back I didn't feel anything like a sense of relief that I could get back to the more modern game. In fact, now there are loads of things I wish were transferred over (the darnified interface first and foremost).