0% magika cost using perks

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nameless233

If u have the perk that halfs the cost of magika of, let's say expert level destruction, and u also have the enchantment 50% less magika cost for destruction, does it become 0% magika cost for expert level destruction spells?

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
I know it works for enchanted items, so that if you have four items that each provide 25% reduced magicka cost for a school, you'll have 100% reduced cost and therefore free casts.

However, I don't think it's the same with perks. According to the UESPWiki the formula for spell cost is as follows:

Code:
spell cost = base cost * skill multiplier * perk multiplier * equipment multiplier * dual cast multiplier
skill multiplier = 1 - (skill/400)0.65

Let's assume a spell's base cost is 20 mana, you have 100 skill, and you've got 50% reduction from the perk and 50% reduction from equipment. Let's also assume you're single-casting it.

20 * 0.65 * 0.5 * 0.5 = 3.25

So the cost is reduced to almost nothing but it's still not free; this is because the reduction from perks and the reduction from equipment are calculated multiplicatively, not additively.

If you've got 100% reduction from equipment, the equipment multiplier becomes 0 - therefore regardless of any other factors, ultimately you're multiplying by 0 - therefore the cost is 0.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Let's assume a spell's base cost is 20 mana, you have 100 skill, and you've got 50% reduction from the perk and 50% reduction from equipment. Let's also assume you're single-casting it.

20 * 0.65 * 0.5 * 0.5 = 3.25

The skill multiplier at 100 skill is 0.6 not 0.65.

Nameless233

Ya I don't really like have 0 magika cost, makes it way too easy for me especially if it's for destruction, anyway hanks for ur help

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
The skill multiplier at 100 skill is 0.6 not 0.65.
Ah, you may be right - I'm only taking my numbers from a wiki. Apologies. :)