• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
So, what's in YOUR apothecary satchel? If you're a die-hard alchemist like I am, it probably weighs a couple tons by now. Yet even though I've been from one end of Skyrim to the other, there are still some things I can't seem to find in quantity. To make matters worse, I can't even buy them at Ye Olde Alchemist's Shoppe.

Powdered Mammoth Tusk
Small Pearl
Pearl

I'm not going to list Daedra Hearts. I don't consider them to be rare. If you want to roleplay by not buying them, that's your business. But I've had 30 of them and only 3 Powdered Mammoth Tusk. Furthermore, I've seen maybe 2 Pearls and only 1 or 2 small pearls. So far, harvesting clams hasn't got me more than clam meat. :rolleyes:

What ingredients do you consider hard to get?

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
Well Powdered Mammoth Tusks are. peddlers have a 8% chance of carring 1-3, Apothecary satchels have a 2% chance to have 1, and warlocks and forsworn have a .5% chance. Click Here for a clean list of all ingredients and location/archives for it. It's a great info site for all elder scroll games as well.

Powdered Mammoth Tusk, Small Pearl, pearl. Powdered Tusk, and Small Pearl are more of the uncommon of ingredients, with the best way to be found is off peddlers with only a 8% chance to find 1-3. Pearl being the rarest with there best find place in apothecary's satchel with a whopping 2%.

Crimson Nirnroots well those you can go to this beautiful place called blackreach and collect 41 of them.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Well Powdered Mammoth Tusks are. peddlers have a 8% chance of carring 1-3, Apothecary satchels have a 2% chance to have 1, and warlocks and forsworn have a .5% chance. Click Here for a clean list of all ingredients and location/archives for it. It's a great info site for all elder scroll games as well.

Powdered Mammoth Tusk, Small Pearl, pearl. Powdered Tusk, and Small Pearl are more of the uncommon of ingredients, with the best way to be found is off peddlers with only a 8% chance to find 1-3. Pearl being the rarest with there best find place in apothecary's satchel with a whopping 2%.

Crimson Nirnroots well those you can go to this beautiful place called blackreach and collect 41 of them.
Yeah. Been there. Beautiful is right.

Thanks for the link. Apparently its worth investing a few perks in Speechcraft if I want to see this stuff more often.

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
Yeah. Been there. Beautiful is right.

Thanks for the link. Apparently its worth investing a few perks in Speechcraft if I want to see this stuff more often.

:) Happy to help, and well :p i believe speech effects more of prices and granting access to persuade, intimidate, merchants +1000 gold, investing, selling stolen goods, and all can sell anything to any merchant (ex: a axe to an alchemist NPC.) I believe it's based on level your character...maybe. Or more likely level of your alchemy skill, possibly both?

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
:) Happy to help, and well :p i believe speech effects more of prices and granting access to persuade, intimidate, merchants +1000 gold, investing, selling stolen goods, and all can sell anything to any merchant (ex: a axe to an alchemist NPC.) I believe it's based on level your character...maybe. Or more likely level of your alchemy skill, possibly both?
From what I read, I'd need to get to the Merchant perk for them to become "readily available."

Not sure it's worth it though. I have more gold than I know what to do with and I have never taken any perks in Speechcraft. The occasions I've used Intimidate I was actually hoping the attempt would FAIL so that they would attack me. One less bounty to worry about.

I've managed quite well without having these ingredients in quantity, it's just sort of amusing/irritating that I can get Daedra Hearts, which are supposed to be ultra rare, at an alchemist shop, but can't find something as mundane as Powdered Mammoth Tusk when there's a whole plains full of mammoths right next to me. :rolleyes:

Friday is My Day!

actually Blackreach is one of my favorite places to go hang, because it is so damn massive in area and so many things to wander around and just marvel at.

I hear you. Blackreach is positively amazing. I don't enjoy the quest itself though. Finding those thirty Crimson Nirnroot took me forever on my first plathrough!

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
The rarest thing for me would have to be honeycombs, bees, and bee hives. I've played about 100 hours with one character and only found 2 hives.

XbSuper

I hear you. Blackreach is positively amazing. I don't enjoy the quest itself though. Finding those thirty Crimson Nirnroot took me forever on my first plathrough!

I've never completed this quest, I always put all my ingredients in a chest, and my counter for how many nirnroot I have always goes into minus. I know I could just find them all before leaving, but I just don't have the patience :p. I am curious as to what you get as a reward though. Anyone care to tell me?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...I am curious as to what you get as a reward though. Anyone care to tell me?
You get an ability called Sinderion's Serendipity which gives you a 25% chance to create a duplicate when creating a potion.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Rare potion recipes, too....

Never came across a Blacksmith's potion recipe.... which vendors sell recipes?

This is what put me off alchemy for ages, the lack of recipes.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
The rarest thing for me would have to be honeycombs, bees, and bee hives. I've played about 100 hours with one character and only found 2 hives.
I've seen plenty of bees and found honeycombs in barrels but the husks seem to be pretty rare.

Rare potion recipes, too....

Never came across a Blacksmith's potion recipe.... which vendors sell recipes?

This is what put me off alchemy for ages, the lack of recipes.
Alchemist shops usually have them. Prepare to be underwhelmed. You're better off looking online or randomly mixing stuff until you find it.

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
Well there are a total of 17354 total mixtures of alchemy ingredients. Though the recipe lists in game are obviously not in that sort of amount there are many mixtures out there. I believe recipes are the typical standard of potions, HP Stamina Mana Ivis Paralyze skill boots poisons ect but here is a great website for all alchemists and wanting to be alchemists (click here) has all ingredients and mixtures easy engine to use.

Go on site > Fill in boxes of current ingredients you hold > Click sample = You get a list of all possible mixtures listed from most expensive gold and xp wise.

FlutterCord

So, what's in YOUR apothecary satchel? If you're a die-hard alchemist like I am, it probably weighs a couple tons by now. Yet even though I've been from one end of Skyrim to the other, there are still some things I can't seem to find in quantity. To make matters worse, I can't even buy them at Ye Olde Alchemist's Shoppe.

Powdered Mammoth Tusk
Small Pearl
Pearl

I'm not going to list Daedra Hearts. I don't consider them to be rare. If you want to roleplay by not buying them, that's your business. But I've had 30 of them and only 3 Powdered Mammoth Tusk. Furthermore, I've seen maybe 2 Pearls and only 1 or 2 small pearls. So far, harvesting clams hasn't got me more than clam meat. :rolleyes:

What ingredients do you consider hard to get?
I made an account just to reply to you. lol. You only get clam meat from clams. You don’t get pearls or small pearls from clams. You find them in oysters. Clams are much easier to see with their yellow/red/orange... (I’m partially colorblind leave me alone. lol) CLAMS ARE BRIGHT. oysters aren’t. They are dark, and easily blend in with its surroundings. That’s why they’re harder to find. I’m autistic so lucky me I notice EVERYTHING. and I hate it. But on the bright side, for me anyway, when I’m in solstheim, I come home with a plops ton of pearls and small pearls. I feel like I’m finding them every 10 minutes. Sometimes you’ll find oysters in shallow pools of water, kinda like puddles. And sometimes they’re deep underwater, but because of their coloring being so close to mud, they’re difficult to notice. I suggest getting aura whisper (my fav shout) to check for slaughter fish, and a piece of jewelry to help you breathe underwater so you can take your time looking. I hope this helped you!! :)