Okay, you can NOT ignore this thread :)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JoeReese

Don't forget the Diadem of the Savant, on the woodcutting block at Froki's Shack. Reduces cost of all schools.

Just a note to tell you of *course* I can ignore this thread""................Damn!!!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Don't forget the Diadem of the Savant, on the woodcutting block at Froki's Shack. Reduces cost of all schools.
Of course then there's having to find Froki's shack! I can honestly say, as many times as I've played, I have no idea who Froki is or where his/her shack is. It took me almost 6 months to find the witch by riverwood.

FarmGirl

Work is really cutting into my gaming time.
Of course then there's having to find Froki's shack! I can honestly say, as many times as I've played, I have no idea who Froki is or where his/her shack is. It took me almost 6 months to find the witch by riverwood.

Doesn't Froki have a bow, as well?

Daelon DuLac

Doesn't Froki have a bow, as well?
Yes. I think he's that guy that gives you the Kyne's quests. I've only run in to his shack once and have never been able to find it again.

Pete

My takes:
1) Flesh spells - Patience. The rewards come later; silence with no armor worn yet a natural armor -- awesome. Early game, I cast them and use brute force or others to fight for you. Key word, others.
2) Restoration - wards are my favorite here. Oh dragon, thou breath is just a nuisance. Wards are one thing that work very, very, very, very well with Staffs!!!!!!!! hint.
3) Conjuration - Dump followers, what think this school is for! Exception: master and legendary difficulty.
4) Illusion - I find these the most useful: Calm, Muffle. I use this school for crowd control. Nothing like taking those bounty hunters from a party of 3 to 1 since you calmed the other two. But I digress.
5) Destruction - oh watch the fireworks when you give that follower a staff of lightning bolts. Remember to take it away when the mayhem is over:)

Daelon DuLac

My takes:
1) Flesh spells - Patience. The rewards come later; silence with no armor worn yet a natural armor -- awesome. Early game, I cast them and use brute force or others to fight for you. Key word, others.
2) Restoration - wards are my favorite here. Oh dragon, thou breath is just a nuisance. Wards are one thing that work very, very, very, very well with Staffs!!!!!!!! hint.
3) Conjuration - Dump followers, what think this school is for! Exception: master and legendary difficulty.
4) Illusion - I find these the most useful: Calm, Muffle. I use this school for crowd control. Nothing like taking those bounty hunters from a party of 3 to 1 since you calmed the other two. But I digress.
5) Destruction - oh watch the fireworks when you give that follower a staff of lightning bolts. Remember to take it away when the mayhem is over:)
Basically you're saying you can't do it alone. There is a reason why I don't play MMOs. I DON'T LIKE TO HAVE FOLLOWERS AROUND ME! I do my own thing. While it's fun make people fight each other. I'll stand my original posting: To be a mage you have to be a coward - you're either running away, having somebody/something do your fighting for you or you're tricking your opponents in to killing themselves. It just ain't right!

Pete

Mages can go it alone. I lean on these:

Alternation: close combat defense
Restoration: elemental defense, magicka regen
Destruction: offense
Illusion: Crowd reduction
Skill: Sneak, Enchant
Weapons: dagger, bow
Key Item: Scrolls
Staffs: offense
Stone: atronach

Early game, one is a cautious as you can be, later game, watch out.

Daelon DuLac

Mages can go it alone. I lean on these:

Alternation: close combat defense
Restoration: elemental defense, magicka regen
Destruction: offense
Illusion: Crowd reduction
Skill: Sneak, Enchant
Weapons: dagger, bow
Key Item: Scrolls
Staffs: offense
Stone: atronach

Early game, one is a cautious as you can be, later game, watch out.
Absolutely agree with what you're saying. Re: Weapons - I thought pure mage didn't use any and re: Antronach - why? doesn't that make you more susceptible to magic?

Pete

My mages follow the ones I see in the game: Dagger mainly. I don't perk up 1H very much. Only enough to get the 25% stamina savings.

Using the bow is a no-no. But I like to have it to keep the character from getting boring. I stick with a hunting bow normally. Its such a good way to deliver poisons. I don't perk up archery.

I will enchant bows. I'll enchant daggers too.

The Antronach stone is the one that gives you plus 50 magic and gives you a chance to absorb spells to recharge your magika.