My Name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

JonBoy

Hey guys,
I made a character based on Kvothe from Patrick Rothfuss' (fluffING BRILLIANT) series, The Name of the Wind and adapt the story to the lore of Tamriel.

Backstory
Since I'm playing on the 360, I won't be able to provide pictures. :sadface:
Anywho, Kvothe was born in the city of Sentinel, Hammerfell to a troupe of wandering Bards. His father, Ingmarr, was a Nord of Skyrim and his mother, Elara, was a Breton born and raised in Cyrodil. From an early age, Kvothe displayed an amazing aptitude with magicka, mastering the Lightning Bolt spell when he was just 5 years old. His parents encouraged his skills and by the time Kvothe was 10, he was the most skilled mage at the troupe.

The troupe itself was the most welcoming one around. There was Burguk the Orc drummer, with big smith's arms and big smith's heart, Avik the Redguard singer-swordsman, jovial and always in need of some mead, Ayisha, the Khajjiti dancer, with motions as swift as swift as her dagger and many more.

The troupe travelled around Tamriel, from the deserts of Elswyr to the walking cities of Valenwood, singing songs of battle and adventure and love. They never made much money but life was simple. Happy.

The troupe was in Skyrim at the time near Riften. They had stopped for the night and the women of the troupe were making dinner. The men sat around a fire, drinking and laughing. Kvothe, 17 years old at the time, glanced up towards the kitchens at Avik's particularly buxom daughter, Jolda. She caught his mischevious grin and blushed. He discreetly motioned towards the trees and slinked away from the campfire. Jolda rolled her big brown eyes and followed. They were on each other like rabbits and in a few minutes, it was over.

"Fetcher", Jolda said with her legs wrapped around him. "We agreed not to do this anymore. I'm to be married soon."
" My love," said Kvothe grinning. "I don't remember you complaining 10 minutes ago."
" More like 2 minutes ago. And don't say call me that."
"Is it such a sin to profess my undying love for one that lights such fires in my loins?" Jolda rolled off and punched him in the arm, laughing.

Then they heard a scream.

Yeah, thanks for reading. If you've read the Name of the Wind, you have a pretty good idea about what comes next. I will be changing a few things here and there to fit with the whole atmosphere of Skyrim. Can you guys critique and review my writing? It's been a while since I wrote anything of note and I want to know where I stand. Thanks again!!!!!!

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Kvothe's name in the title of your thread caught my attention, JonBoy. You're right, an effin' brilliant series of books from Rothfuss. Can't wait for his next installment! Hurry up, Patrick! Dammit. Write faster! :D

What kind of critique and review are you looking for? You had me laughing at Kvothe and Jolda's, um, encounter. ;)

Have fun in the forums. Clearly, you are on your way. :)

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
I think this should be okay in fanfic. Cuz it kinda is fanfic when you think about it. Here you have an established character (Kvothe) from another series of books, and you're blending him and his story in with Skyrim lore. Sounds like fiction to me, written from a fan's prespective of both the novels and the game. :)

But if you wanna be on the safe side, send a message to Rayven (the moderator) and ask her and she'll set you straight one way or the other.

Good stuff so far. I'm trying to imagine Kvothe from the books being a playable character in the game. Oh man, he'd be so bad- ass. The dragons would fly away in fear once he shows up to the party. ;)

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
If you plan to continue in a prose-like fashion chronicling your character, adding details that aren't necessarily part of the game story and fleshing out history, psychology and such, it's fine to stay here. If it starts looking like diary entries, that's more suited to the blog section.

Grelod The Kind

I looooove this series! My affair with the Kingkiller chronicle started many many years ago in... gee, what grade? 7th grade or so? I dunno. I was always complaining to my English teacher (EVERYONE took the same English course regardless of proficiency in said course) about how the books we read as class assignments were not only extremely easy but outside of my preference. So, she went out and bought the first book (The Name of The Wind, obviously) for me and a few other students (only one other guy was in the same class period as me) that were exceptionally above the standard.

I've been an avid follower ever since that.

I've been waiting for the second book (Wise Man's Fear) to come out for years after that. Last year, when it came out, I ran to Barnes & Noble (I typically NEVER buy books as I see this as a waste of money but I couldn't find a library copy and I couldn't wait either) and bought it for myself.

It bored me to tears.

I still love the first book though.

I WILL BE READING AND LURKING AND SUCH

JonBoy

I looooove this series! My affair with the Kingkiller chronicle started many many years ago in... gee, what grade? 7th grade or so? I dunno. I was always complaining to my English teacher (EVERYONE took the same English course regardless of proficiency in said course) about how the books we read as class assignments were not only extremely easy but outside of my preference. So, she went out and bought the first book (The Name of The Wind, obviously) for me and a few other students (only one other guy was in the same class period as me) that were exceptionally above the standard.

I've been an avid follower ever since that.

I've been waiting for the second book (Wise Man's Fear) to come out for years after that. Last year, when it came out, I ran to Barnes & Noble (I typically NEVER buy books as I see this as a waste of money but I couldn't find a library copy and I couldn't wait either) and bought it for myself.

It bored me to tears.

I still love the first book though.

I WILL BE READING AND LURKING AND SUCH
WhAAAAT?!!?! You didn't like A Wise Man's Fear? Yeah the first chapters are boring but it gets sooooo much better, it's insane. I would even say that *gasp* I liked it more than The Name of the Wind!!!

JonBoy

Then they heard a scream.

And another. And another. And another.

Kvothe was dressed and on his feet before he could form a coherent thought. Lightning coursed through his fingertips and he raced towards the camp.

Ma was the first person he found. There was a spike of ice in her chest. Kvothe stopped and looked at her. She's dead, he thought. He looked around him.
They're all dead.

Around the campfire, four hooded men sat, drinking and laughing. "PA!" Kvothe yelled and ran up to the men, breathing a sigh of relief.
"What happened? Ma, she's dead! Everyone is dead! PA!"
A Nord man stood and and pulled back his hood. His yellow eyes glowed in the darkness.
Kvothe tensed and jumped back, realization washing over him. "You...you killed-" His voice caught in his throat. The Nord with the yellow eyes threw back his head and laughed, as a bolt of lightning erupted from his hands.

"NOOOOO!!!!" a woman screamed
Kvothe opened his eyes and Jolda stood in front of him. Her body twitched uncontrollably as the lightining coursed through her body. Then she fell down.
Kvothe dropped to his knees. "Jolda? Jolda! Jolda, goddamn it why?" Tears streamed down his face. Nothing else existed. Jolda is dead. She died trying to protect me, he thought. She's dead. I love her. She's dead. I loved her. She's dead. The last thing he remembered was the face of the Nord.

The Nord with the yellow eyes.

JonBoy

Hey guys, sorry for the long, long, long absence. Life got really busy and I had to focus on that. Now I have some free time to update the story.
So yeah, tell me what you think.

*********************************************************************************
Chapter 2: Son of the Reach

A dirty Breton teenager crouched between the giant stone walls of Markarth. He darted silently from building to building, dodging the city guards. They didn't take too kindly to beggars in this part of the city and he had been on the receiving end of many a guard's kicks.

The Markarth City Guard was notorious in Skyrim for their "hands-on" approach to dealing with petty crime. Another of Markarth's street roamers, an Imperial boy named Vinius, had liberated a few apples from a vegetable stall in the Market District. The owner turned a blind eye, like he usually did for children, but Vinius happened to be in the presence of a city guard. He returned to the Warrens bloody, and beaten so bad only his mother could recognize him.

Beaten half to death just for apples, the dirty boy thought anxiously. The guards would do a lot worse if HE was caught.

NO! He shook his head violently, trying to dispel thoughts of Vinius' wounds from his mind. He couldn't let himself think that way. He would complete his task and he would do it right.

He finally calmed down. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a very small, very sharp blade. Then he waited in the shadows.

His target soon strolled by . An Imperial woman dressed in a brilliant emerald green, she walked and talked with the same cheeriness all foreigners did when they first came to Markarth. He felt his stomach tighten at the sight of her. he hated the foreigners in Markarth, never mind that he was one himself.

She stopped to talk with the venison merchant. They haggled fiercely over a choice leg of venison and her back was turned. The boy steeled his resolve and crept closer. His heart raced as he remembered the fateful meeting that morning.

The old man stood in the doorway of his room in the Warrens. "Kvothe!" he called, his voice rough like sandpaper. "I have saved you from the perils of Markarth!", he said with a flourish. "The guards, the gangs, the mines, I have saved you from the city built on blood and silver!" Kvothe rolled his eyes and smiled. Neppo was always one for the theatrical.

"Come, I have a task for you." Neppo said. "You will go to the market and an Imperial woman in a green dress will pass by. You will show her the power of the reach. She must die."

Kvothe looked up, the smile wiped from his face. Neppo had never asked him to kill before. But that was the arrangement they had. Unrelenting obedience for unwavering protection.

"I will do as you ask." Kvothe said.

A cold wind shook him from his reverie and he readied himself. The woman hadn't noticed him yet. He crept closer and drew the blade.

Now or Never.

"FOR THE FORSWORN!!!!!" Kvothe yelled at the top of his lungs and plunged the blade into the woman's neck.

JonBoy

Blood spurted from the wound like a red fountain and the woman gasped and fell in a crumpled heap. Kvothe turned quickly, ready to disappear into the crowd, when he heard a shout.

"FUS-ROH-DAH!!!"

Kvothe found himself flying through the air like a sock puppet. He hit the ground hard and lost his breath.

A big Redguard in a horned helmet stood a few feet away from him. A huge battle axe was slung across his back.

"WULD-NA-KEST!!!!"

He became a blur and appeared right in front of Kvothe, a big grin plastered on his face. No one could move that fast!, he thought.

Kvothe shot to his feet and concentrated, drawing on his reserves of magicka. Lightning coursed through his arms and a bolt exploded from his fingertips.

The bolt streaked through the air and sparks flew as it struck- nothing. The helmed Redguard was about a 20 feet away, still smiling.

Kvothe inhaled deeply. Remember Neppo's words, he thought. Assess the situation. He is fast, Kvothe thought. Fast enough to dodge lightning and cross twenty feet in a step.

Kvothe knew he had one shot. If he failed, he was dead. He concentrated again, drawing up a dangerous amount of magicka. The Redguard arched an eyebrow curiously.

Lightning coursed along Kvothe's arms again and he raised a fist in the same gesture he used before.

Kvothe grinned and a lightning bolt exploded from his fist. Then two more. Then a barrage of lightning bolts exploded from his fingertips.

The Redguard's smile faded fast. "WULD!" He shouted and he moved with blinding speed.

"WULD!"
He dashed across the courtyard, evading several bolts. The cobblestone street of the courtyard exploded in a cloud of brick and clay as the lightning struck it.

"WULD!"
A lightning bolt streaked past his head.

"WULD!"
He leaped into the air, avoiding a bolt that streaked below him.

The Redguard glanced below him. Kvothe pointed a finger at his opponent.

The man's eyes widened as realization washed over him. The bolt would catch him in midair. He couldn't run or jump or dodge. He was trapped.

Kvothe smirked triumphantly as three lightning bolts burst from his fingers and raced towards the doomed man. The fight was over.

Then Kvothe heard a sound.

"feim...".

It was barely audible, hardly a whisper but Kvothe felt the sound move through the air like a thunder clap.

The Redguard landed softly, completely unharmed. For a second, his body gave off a faint glow.

Kvothe gritted his teeth as he felt a familiar tug in his gut. He knew his magicka reserves were almost completely depleted. By the Nine, he swore.

The Redguard threw back his head and laughed deeply. "I've got to hand it to you, kid. That was a clever trick. Almost got me."

He drew his axe and began to walk calmly across the ruined market towards Kvothe.

Have to keep him talking, Kvothe thought.

"Redguard!", Kvothe called, taking a few steps back. "May I ask the name of the man who has bested me?"

The helmed man stopped and looked up thoughtfully as if considering it.

In a step, he appeared in front of Kvothe.

"I am Musa. The Dragonborn."

Then, with a huge grin plastered on his face, he smashed the handle of the axe into Kvothe's head.

Quite the undertaking, to parody a well known story like that. For my taste, the story moves a little fast. But to each their own. You've done a good job. Hat's off.