Character Diary: A Nord in the Wilderness

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Della

Hi everyone

Inspired by BIGWooly and others, I've started to play a new character with a back-story, and with some of the restrictions set out in other character diaries. I'm looking forwards to playing this character, so just wanted to share some of the adventures with you...

Name: Olaus Magnus*

Name inspired by Olaus Magnus, a Finnish chronicler of Nordic peoples (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaus_Magnus)

Race: Nord

Details: Last member of the lost Bjarmian* clan

Bjarmians were a group of people who lived in the North around what we now see as the Finnish/ Russian border. Olaus Magnus referred to them as fabled wielders of magic. I've taken their name for my fictional clan of Nords.

Summary: An aging Nord living alone in the wilderness. His birth was a momentous occasion for his clan, who destroyed themselves fighting over the newborn infant. His mother fled with him a lower valley, but died when he was 11. Since then, he has lived alone, hunting and only entering the outside world during yearly visits to Helgen to trade furs.

More to come...

Della

Thanks!

Here's my backstory:

Backstory:

The Bjarmians were mountain people who practiced shamanism and lived in harmony with nature. They were rarely seen in Skyrim, living high in mountain passes over the summer, only decending to lower valleys during the winter months. They kept to themselves in the forests, only occasionally being sighted by mountain hunters and pilgrims. There was only one time in the year when the Bjarmians would enter the wider world of Skyrim. Every Autumn, the entire clan of around 2-300 people would arrive en-masse at Helgen to trade furs and medicinal ingredients. Occasionally they would bring rare ores or enchanted weapons found deep in lost mines during their summer explorations. Their goal was to trade for essential supplies, which they would take back up the valleys to their winter dwellings hidden deep in the forest.

But one year, the clan did not arrive at Helgen. High up in the mountains an event had happened following months of Shamanic activity. In the weeks before the day the Bjarmians were due to arrive in Helgen, residents heard the eerie cry of the Bjarmian horns calling across the mountain-side. Individual families were communicating to each other, and gradually the sound of the horns seemed to come together, culminating in a day of ritualistic cacophony eminating from a single spot high in the mountain range. A band of young men from Helgen mustered, detirmined to strike out up the hillside to discover that was happening, but were held back by the warnings of a trusted group of elderly sages, who had a far-away, wonderous look in their eyes. And then...silence. Whispers started in Helgen and surrounding villages as to what had taken place. Every old folktale about the clan was raked over. There was talk of wild axe men, battles of magic, wonderous elixirs...and a cultish veneration of mythical creatures. Everyone waited to see if the clan would emerge from the mists at the edge of the forest...

A week passed...and then drums could be heard resonating down the mountain valleys. The drums could mean only one thing - battle. Townsfolk spoke in hushed voices about the carnage that would be taking place, for the Bjarmians were fabled to be fierce warriors, drawing axe and shield and powerful magic together and leaving swathes of forest flattened once battles had subsided...

Sharp-eared guards in Helgen listened nightly for the drums, and some could percieve them moving, and then coming back together, but all the time growing weaker, as if the drummers were being cut down like trees.

After another fortnight the drums ceased. The Bjarmians were never seen again....

The day the horns came together was the day a child had been born, a child whose arrival immediately created a schism in the Bjarmian clan. A vicious battle ensued for the child, which went on for three weeks. The first week was tense, hushed discussions in crevases across the platau where the Biarmians had gathered for the birth of the child. Some kind of decision needed to be made, but all leadership appeared to disolve with the coming of the child. In the second week, tempers frayed, and axes were drawn. Family groups splintered, and amongst the confusion, a small party disappeared, including the child and his teenage mother. The child's name was Olaus. His father was dead.

For the next week and a half, factions of the clan clashed to the sound of war drums, each group convinced the other was harbouring the child, who was valuable beyond belief. This war of attrition led to massacres, and the revival of magic so powerful that on more than one occasion both fighting sides in skirmishes perished together, high up on lonely plateaus.

What nobody knew was that the mother and child had struck out on their own, descending down to an uninhabited valley by the dead of night. Far behind, high up on the ridges and plateaus, it took the Bjarmian clan two weeks to kill themselves in their desperation to find the child.

The mother raised the child on her own, building a shack and small garden in the valley where they had fled to. They lived hand to mouth, whilst the mother waited for her family members to come for them. In that time, she never spoke to Olaus, for she was mute. When Olaus was 11, his mother died of fever, leaving him alone.

Olaus is now 56. He only has a basic knowledge of the skills once held by his people but he...feels things. He is strong and tough after years living in the wilderness, and he is at one with nature. He lives an easy life, hunting in the woodlands surrounding his house, only venturing down to Helgen once a year to trade...

----------------

The Set Up:

I got through the intro quickly (and took it that the incident with the dragon never happened), and then played around a bit to raise a few levels, and to taste a range of ingredients to learn their first properties. I did not questes or missions. I raised archery and one-handed skills once respectively, and then trekked to the Alchemists Hut that is between Ivanstead and Helgen. Once arriving at the hut, I dropped most of my gear on the body of a wolf, leaving me with:

A barrel containing Olaus' stored furs to take to Helgen
A barrel containing a range of ingredients
A small collection of books that were Olaus' father's
Four bottles of wine (Olaus is a heavy drinker and is near the end of his supplies)
One bottle of frostbite venom
The skull of his mother..

And on Olaus:

Dagger
Hand Axe
Hunting Bow
20 Arrows
Novice Hood
Fur Armour
Fur shoes
A silver necklace

No gold

-----------------

Play Limitations and First Day coming next!

Della

Restrictions (not quite as hardcore as BIGWooley and edited from Rown's list - thanks!)

- difficulty set to 'expert'
- only carry 50% of what game allows
- only carry 30 arrows max
- no use of potions while in immediate combat
- must fully sheath weapon to use a potion
- only 3 lock picks may be used per lock
- not allowed to steal from or harm friendly or neutral characters
- not allowed to harvest unreasonable items (if a dead elk has a garnet don't take it)
- must sleep for at least 8 hours every day (allowed to make rare exceptions)
- must restore at least 5% of your health every day (through food, meals or potions)
- may only use sneak sparingly (no hit-and-run-hit-and-run style of play allowed)
- not allowed to swim while wearing armor (and not allowed to enter freezing water)
- may wear any type of armor but should strive for heavy armor
- must apply level points to health and stamina in a 2-1 fashion
- may not use in-game map unless at a known location
- not allowed to fast travel unless by cart
- no use of exploits
- may only use manual saves after sleeping (resting)
- when character dies must load from a previous manual save (start of that day)
- may only use auto-saves in the event of a game freeze

First Day:

Fredas, 21st Day of Last Seed, 4E 201

I woke early today, with the aim of getting a good day's hunting in in preparation for my hike over the mountain to Helgen. I'm looking forwards to replenishing my supplies.

I struck out East, to check the small hide I have built on the ridge above my hut. I spent a good few hours watching and waiting, but saw nothing. I moved on, and almost immediately came across a Skeever. How I hate those things! My axe made short work of it, and I skinned and filleted it. The meat is not very appetising, but I salt it and bury it, and after 6 months or so it becomes passable.

I continued up past the snow line, and climbed up to the bluff that overlooks the big lake to the East. I've lost many hours fishing down there. Looking down, I spied a bear. I've heard her over the past few days, now I've finally found where she is nesting. I'll be sure to stay clear of that ravine...

Heading back down the hillside, I spotted what I was after, a fine stag feeding of mountain flowers. Two arrows wounded it, and I made chase with my axe. I always try to end the life of an animal with my axe, it seems nobler to me to look it in the eyes as it dies for me. I came away with enough venison to last a week, the hide, antlers, and two intact arrows to use another day. My clan is with me!

It was late afternoon, so I made for home. However, on my way I spied something that froze me to the core. An encampment across the valley! I crept towards it, and was able to spy two fine horses, and heard the sound of a blacksmith. I was feared to venture any closer - folk don't often venture into these parts - not unless they are looking for trouble.

I slipped away unseen, and made it back by dusk. I stored my day's haul, and settled down to venison and carrot stew. No finer meal exists!

After my meal, I made a last patrol of the perimiter of the hut, and settled down to sleep. Not long now until I have enough hides to take to Helgen. I am looking forwards to the voices of others....

CHW

Cool back story and idea! Keep it coming and, if you can, post a pic of Olaus.

Della

Oh thanks, yeah I'm quite pleased with the back-story, it was certainly fun to make up! Playing on xbox I'm afraid so not sure about getting a pic sorted...D