• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I might have to rename this "Build of Tommorrow!" It's too late to really get started on this, but I just got an idea from another thread, so I'll plot it out to remind me...

So, you want a Challenge, eh? Wondering if it's even possible to play on Master without Crafting? Fine, here's the plan.

No Equipment.​
Okay, maybe ragged robes until I can grab some decent clothes, but other than that, spell tomes, and Quest items, empty inventory.

On Master​

Untill it's excruciatingly obviously just plain impossible. I fully expect to be leveled past, I may even dial it back to Expert, then Adept, I will not lower myself to even Apprentice (Nor should I have to, because I've pretty much proven the basics of the build on this difficulty.) I am going to Exploit some loopholes, but only those in Vanilla, and mostly the ones I'm pretty sure the Dev Team either intended, or liked too much to Patch.

Sneak. Oh yeah, about the best way to go without Armor, and survive is to kill without fighting. Won't win everything for you, but puts a damned good sized dent in it!

Magic: Obviously, the only way to get around not needing anything is to cast it. You guessed it, this is going to be an Arcane Assassin, and just to save you scrolling up, we're talking Illusion, Alteration for Armor, and Conjuration for Bound Weapons. Also, Restoration for once, because I'm going to TRY not to use potions, but no promises that it'll work. Recovery will make up for Robes, and Ward Absorb is always a good plan.

Oh dear: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#269513 I probably won't make it that far. Well, only one way to find out! I'll keep you posted...

All right, let's do this:
D251403713B1A0227832E32A24416AD44C092E6A

To be clear, I've done this difficulty before, it's not that bad, but the challenge this time is to go without Equipment. Mostly to prove, once and for all, that Crafting isn't necessary for survival. I went with Nightmer, pretty much a copy of my Arcane Assassin build, but this time, on Master from the start, and eventually, unequipped. No, I'm not going to run out of Helgen with an empty Inventory, I will take a Bow, all the Arrows, and a Sword, because I'm not suicidal. This is not a DiD playthrough, but eventually, it will be painfully obvious that this just isn't Viable, so I can report back to you. Keep checking back for updates through out the day...

Until then here's a pop quiz.
Q: What is the 1 Skill you can level with your hands Bound, before entering Helgen Keep?
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc...DEED838B078A3E763477F55B42F606C8074/[/answer]

98EF82D13C20D891CF1B89405FB5A3356DB8B47F

Well, that sucked! Ralof glitched, so I had to `TCL` through the gates, and take everyone out single handedly. On Master, that's no mean feat, but it's a lot of XP for the Weapons Skills, which I need a lot of, starting at 15. I went Altmer, so I can concentrate on Health the first few levels, still be ahead of the Magicka curve, and also take advantage of their running speed, unencumbered. (There's an advantage to not having Equipment, albeit a slight one.)

Also, though I said NO Equipment, I am going to be wearing clothes, notice the Prisoner's Cuffs. I'll probably wear them all game, to match my Bound Weapons. Until then, I am going to hold onto the Steel Dagger, Iron Arrows, and Longbow to get me to Riverwood (Oakflesh) and Farengar (Bound Sword.) Also, I am going to carry Money, the point is to avoid Armor, Physical Weapons, Crafting of any Sort, Potions (If I can) and use nothing but Magic...

Now, the Exploits. Faendal, come on, I need the Damage, and also, Sneak is kind of a slow leveler below 20. Thief Stone for this so my Magic doesn't get ahead, so I'm going to be an Archer for quite a while. Fort Amol as soon as I can clear it out, the Atronach Stone is highly recommended for this, but it's a good way to get Bound Bow ahead of level. I'm debating whether, or not to grind Illusion in the Whiterun Market. Tough call, it is extremely hard to do it the honest way, in combat, yet I also get bored with spamming Calm all night with a quickness. Not to mention the fact that I can't even use necromancer's Robes, which help immeasurably. I may have to go to College, talk to Drevis, and clean out the Focal Points first, as a replacement...

There's one glitch I'm not going to use. Most of my Assassins don't go to the Western Watchtower with Irileth, because we're weak against Dragons. This might be what breaks this build, but I'm trying to prove a point, and that don't get done by avoiding the Main Quest, and the most dangerous enemies. I will eventually kill Alduin, in a loin Cloth, like I've done so many times before, but Destruction ain't in this build. It won't fit, and it's kind of cheating. (Ok, with spell absorbtion, and Guardian Circle, it's flat out cheating, but at least there's no Crafting!)

That's not the point, I'm not a Scrub, and I don't not craft because it's "Cheap". I cheat like a maw faw, but what this build is designed to illustrate is that Crafting isn't the only way to do it. In some ways, it isn't even the most powerful...

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Ok, loads of great reading so far. I am just kind of lost reading these. You keep losing me with some of your jargon/verbiage. I just started playing this game, and I got lucky enough to find this forum, but doggone if I don't get lost & confused reading what you are doing.

Ok, loads of great reading so far. I am just kind of lost reading these. You keep losing me with some of your jargon/verbiage. I just started playing this game, and I got lucky enough to find this forum, but doggone if I don't get lost & confused reading what you are doing.
OK, sorry. First of all, these are all Advanced Builds. For the most part, I avoid the worst exploits of invincibility, unless I'm compensating for a major handicap, like not using any Equipment on Master. Also, I intentionally use obfuscating verbiage to avoid spoilage, so newbies like you don't just read my guides, and ruin the discoveries of exploration by jumping right to the endgame... If there's any technical jargon, like Abbrv. that need clearing up, just ask. I'm here to help.

Joker

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I am just trying to learn what to do by reading here. The cheats/exploits I plan to try once I get up a few levels, but not now. I have tried a couple of builds, and didn't like them, so I am trying sa couple of new ones. I like reading to see what I have to look forward to in later missions, and how people are building their characters, so I can see how I might build mine.

My main questions have been answered so far, just trying to learn a little more before I jump back in.

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I am just trying to learn what to do by reading here. The cheats/exploits I plan to try once I get up a few levels, but not now. I have tried a couple of builds, and didn't like them, so I am trying sa couple of new ones. I like reading to see what I have to look forward to in later missions, and how people are building their characters, so I can see how I might build mine.

My main questions have been answered so far, just trying to learn a little more before I jump back in.
That's pretty much my specialty. You have a build in mind? I can tell you how to do it (In excruciating detail) or why it won't work. Or, with a few easy questions, I can help you craft a build that's right for you...

Joker

That's pretty much my specialty. You have a build in mind? I can tell you how to do it (In excruciating detail) or why it won't work. Or, with a few easy questions, I can help you craft a build that's right for you...

That would be awesome. Should I ask you in here, or via message?

Or, start a thread in the Help Forum, and tag me in it. (use @, and my name, it'll notify me, so i don't have to hunt it down...) That way, we can all give our advice.

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#271843

Dark Elf Stunmer, so far, just filling up Destruction, with a little Defense thrown on. No Heavy Armor (17) Perks yet, next time I'm feeling Squishy, but I put it on Health the first 5 levels, and just invested in Magicka, It's been holding up with Bashes to keep them Staggared, while manuvering with Flames, and occasionally Sparks until Farengar, where I picked up Ice Spike, Lightning Bolt, and Fire Rune. Can just barely cast it, but there's a few bottlenecks coming up where you can pile Draugr up for it. (They hate that.)

I augmented Frost, because it's least effective here, but still handy for slowing them down, and keeping them from Power Attacking. Mirmulnir hovered Twice, landed once, and never took back off, but I wasn't the only one beating on him. Farkas Tagged along on our way out to Dustman's Cairn, where I fought through with mostly Lightning Bolt to keep the Restess from saping my stamina, while blocking, and bashing their attacks. Lightning the long range, with Flames in the main hand so I can drop in a shield, because by then I can recover more Magickal damage faster.

Dropped a few Fire Bombs, bashed, and blasted the Wolf for Ysolde, then used them to kill the Draugr in thier coffins before they popped out. Grabbed the Fragment of Wuuthrad, "WHOMP"ed him a couple times, and kept him off balance. Walked out, and dropped 2 levels for the Augment Element perks. On Master, you have to do twice as much damage, but you get twice as much Experience in the process.

Gave Uthgerd the SFSGS, Lydia the Axe of Whiterun, and some random helmets to pick them out in the fight. Uthgerd's joining me on the way up to High Hrothgar, over to the Atronach Stone, and up toward the Volcano, for a Soul. Back to HHG for Wuld Nah, and then take a Cart to Winterhold. Pick up Firebolt, some Novice Robes of Destruction, and head for Saarthal.

I made custom outfits for Faendal, weapons, and helmets for the girls, and kept up with my smithing to 19. I've got Wolf Armor, Gauntlets, Boots, (+2), a Steel Shield (Stolen from Alvor the same night as the Ingots, untempered,) some discounts on Destruction, and enough toughness to have not died yet. I'm going for a Steel Pure, with just Block, and Destruction, we'll see how much it takes to top out. Also going to run Skyrim, then Dawnguard, and Dragonborn as they present themselves.

Fast Traveling, and Leveling, hopefully it won't take more than a couple days to cap out low level, or level past his damage capacity. Haven't really planned much past Blades Shield the Targe of the Blooded, Rahgot, Otar, Nahkriin, Dragon Priest Staffs, Ancestral Wrath, and maybe some Scrolls of Experimental Flame Cloak, Guardian Circle, Dragon Priest Staffs nor in what order, but I'll probably end up with Spellbreaker, Ahzi's Bracers, Miirak's Robes, and Boots, Master Robes of Destruction,..

Mjoll might get Uthgerd's outfit, Then Volendrung, a full suit of Orcish (Superior) and, the Drainblood axe. Lydia's going straight to Blades onsemble. Jenassa will probably wind up with Full Scaled, Dwarven Crossbow (Improved, Superior) SFS Hatchet, and Blades Sword (Both at least Superior.) maybe even Krosis if I feel like going up there from Fellglow. I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off all the way to Arcane Blacksmith, if it's the last thing I do. I'll probably turn it down to Adept once I get Destruction up to Expert, and get the Targe...

Andre2807

How do you get you camera to rotate even in combat mode? (sorry for off topic)

AS88

Staff member
Skyforge Steel Greatsword, I assume.
Yes. I decided not to dial it back to Expert, but activate a mod to reverse the effects of Fortify Skill potions with enchantment effects. So, Robes of Destruction make you spells more powerful, but Potions lower the Casting Cost. With any luck, I'll be able to go past the 100% cap in Vanilla as my defences continue piling up...

Impact, Fire Bolt, Shield Bash, and Flames just destroyed the Draugr Wight in Saarthal. I've Augmented all 3 Elements, and ran into an interesting encounter:

AS88

Staff member
Yes. I decided not to dial it back to Expert, but activate a mod to reverse the effects of Fortify Skill potions with enchantment effects. So, Robes of Destruction make you spells more powerful, but Potions lower the Casting Cost.

Can you provide the name of that mod, please? :)

Enjoying the thread, btw. Not exactly my style, but educational nonetheless!

AS88

Staff member