• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AS88

Staff member
Update:

All right, this should give you some idea how powerful this build is, and isn't at level 12.
229A66DEC6EE48B52C0009BABDDDA4A1BD92ABF8

That's a Fire Dragon, AND Flame Atronach in the same battle. This was right after the Atronach Stone, so I mush have been around level 7, unaugmented Ice Spikes. Then, I tried running from Dustman's Cairn to Ustengrav, and ran into 1 Cold Dragon. Not a Frost Dragon, but a regular one with Frost Breath instead of Fire. I died, long before I could have grounded it, regardless of if I used Firebolt, Lightning Bolt, or Both.

I used Single Casts, but kept both hands full to Impact Interrupt whenever it took a breath. I couldn't even bring it down by half, and my Spell Absorbtion barely kept me alive without my 50% off Flames. Armor, of course, did nothing, so I kept my shield down, and hood on. Eventually it landed, not because of being shot down, but because it got sick of hovering, and getting stunned when it tried to breathe, so I closed in with Shield, and Firebolt to Stagger/Zot him while Uthgerd tanked the nose. He killed me with a tail lash once my stamina was down. I danced back, he turned, and got me with his longest Reach attack, I did manage to look up, and see over a 3rd of his health left, and that was with several slashes of Skyforge Steel (Fine.)

Which means I can't handle a cold dragon, I probably need to stock up on some Frost Resistance, and it's still not over. There's plenty of Draugr in the game, and this is the one fight I couldn't just restart, and handle differently. I took Labrynthian instead, Impact Ice-spiked 2 of the Frost Trolls on my way through, and kept on running... I had no delusions of taking them on, just got a couple THAP!s in so they had no chance to catch me, and run. I can always come back...

Incidentally, the one on the road to HHG? I didn't have Impact then, nor the Magicka to hurt him faster than he regenerated (3 Firebolt gauge) so I took the shortcut to bypass him, and again, I can return when I feel up to challenging Frost Trolls. One of my favorite sparring partners, with Impact/Ice Spike, and enough Regenerate Magicka (Archmages Robes, and Morokei, eventually) to NOT lockstun them, but Cast, and Run while they regenerate so we can dance the night away. Like Shadowmere, only they'll try to fight back, and can kill you in 1, or 2 swats. (If they have the Stamina to attack!) Conclusion, it's starting to get too hard, but only on the foes that're extremely difficult on lower difficulties. And, I need some Frost Resistance.

That little moshpit melee at the bottom of the stairs in Ustengrav? 2 Fire Runes, and Firebolt finisher. The Restless Draugr survived, but I could get 1 more Bolt off into one, bashed to keep the other from Frostbiting until I could finish the other. I felt a little better about getting my @44 handed to me before. This is all still on Master, with a mod that increases Destruction Damage proportionate to my Fortify Destruction enchantments, currently just Novice Robes of Destruction. (+12%)

I guess this is switching from "How long is this viable on master?" to "How much difference does this Mod make in balancing Destruction." It works on the other Schools as well, of course, but Destruction is the one that virtually everyone who plays skyrim at a high level, even non mages agree has to be made free to be any good. I fully plan to double the damage instead, and see how that works out, with the normal Casting costs, Rank Perks, and a Magicka Gauge.

Psiberzerker, could you play this build without the mod?
Up to about level 10, on Master, but it's perfectly playable up to about 15 on Expert, 20 on Adept, and 25 on Apprentice Difficulty. It doesn't go any higher than that with only Destruction on offense, but you can always use it to build up your Destruction First, while it's still damaging enough for a main Skill, and levels fast enough, then train up more effective skills like Weapons, and Crafting with the Augment Element perks to make them more effective.

In the End Game, Wall of Frost/Flames should still be powerful enough (Don't work with any Augment damage effects I've been able to find) with Bash/Impact to keep them in the AoE. They always do 75DPS for up to 20 seconds for a grand total of 20 seconds, but that's 1500 damage per instance, you can possibly get an enemy in all 3 effects at once, and hose down the entire footprint of Dragons once they're grounded. This makes them the most powerful, and efficient spells in Destruction by a great margin, but only if you can keep the enemy in the effects for the duration. That's what Bash, and Impact are for.

So, the plan is to get Destruction up to 75, which IS powerful enough for Master, and take advantage of the fact that these, as well as Cloaks don't give you Experience. That means I can lock the level, except for using the direct damage spells, with Impact at range, which will seriously retard it's Advancement. from there, I should have a good save for me to experiment with other skills to see which ones work best in order. (Individually, then in combinations to Isolate their effectiveness, and mentally map the gestalt of their synergies.) That's the plan, anyway.

Enchanting: Augment Flames increases the damage on Fire, and Absorb Health effects when you make a new enchantment, on top of Fire Enchanter. For instance, 20 points each of Fire Damage, and Absorb health become 30 with Augment Flames(3), and 35 with Fire Enchanter. (Last time I checked.) 75% More Damage on all weapons with Destruction effects, all 6 Augment, and all 3 Elemental Enchanter Perks. This, of course, works well with Any weapon skills.

Weapons: 1H can be paired with a Shield, or Destruction, but not Impact. These combos allow you to "Juggle" out in each hand, and tune your assault for the fight at hand, mid combat. Out in the open, you can Spell/Sword to bolt, charge, then drop in a shield to Stun, and Slash/burn. If you start with Dual Cast (Either Fireball, or Ice Storm) to Mass Impact, then you can charge, or switch to your Shield Combos to Bash stagger, and conserve Magicka.

Before that, though, I truly believe that Shield/spell is the way to Survive long enough to get your Destruction up to usable level. You can bash until you can Impact at a distance, then when you inevitably run out of Magicka, end the survivors charge in. Block levels slow, especially when used to mostly Bash, so you're going to be wanting to work it from the beginning, with the Warrior just to get Any advancement in it. This means it won't level you past the Destruction Cap too early. And finally, once you do get it up to about level 50, you can get Elemental Protection, which vastly simplifies your Magic Defense.

The Heavy Armor is the last defense, and Enchantment carrier. There's just too many Heavy Armor pieces for this kind of build. 4 Dragon Priest Masks, then 3 more on Solestheim, Ahzidal's Artifacts, then Miraak's boots/ gloves, though this armor rating isn't even counted untill After block, If you don't stagger them before they get an attack off while you're dancing around, and timing their strike animations. I have invested Nothing in Armor so far, unimproved Wolf Boots/Gloves, a Banded Iron Shield (Fine, +1) not even Shield Wall, nor Juggernaut. So far, just Stagger has kept me alive, and Uthgerd Tanking for me.

Bildir:
754F386870EF3D1C5124E3B1CB1DC66864726D3F
229A66DEC6EE48B52C0009BABDDDA4A1BD92ABF8
1775CBF68A232FC52A61971CB7A817C93E2886E6
AFEBC5FEB2C9EDB130348F2DE9A49ECE741FBFB2
CBEE54707A9183FAFEE38A51096FA90BB344616B
AE8163D126A9C5C897F78A71C50BA2B1B4686B03

At this point, I've got 24% more Destruction Damage, and a good enough shield to carry to Sky Haven Temple for it's replacement...

Bump
D5E00C14381F41267612035E4D8D9BBBCB3C2EE0

Just an old picture of Nijilla duking it out with an Eboby Shield, and the Skull of Corruption. Once I got in close, I just kept him staggered, and hit him for pure magical damage. Switching probably to Lightning Bolt. Notice, we've both got Flame cloak, and which is staggered, on fire? Spell Absorbtion really helps here. Swept the Draugr with Flaming Familiar, and a Scroll of Guardian Circle. Belrand should be around somewhere, but is probably taking a knee back in another corner, if he hasn't all ready succumbed to the inferno.

Good fight! Right before I got his Staff, and Mask, her power level went up a significant amount from them.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Psiberzerker, I just stopped in to see if you had any new builds. I enjoy reading your builds, mainly because they give me ideas & direction to take my characters.

Psiberzerker, I just stopped in to see if you had any new builds. I enjoy reading your builds, mainly because they give me ideas & direction to take my characters.
Here's what I've been doing lately. The same old build, but now with Lore, Background, and a reason to Role Play him again on Master from the start. I'll probably add more chapters to the play-through as I come to them.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you guys, but they're keeping me busy over there, and there's been like 4 alerts over the past few days, so I haven't been drawn back with any insistence.

Incidentally, if there's any Skyrimbloggers reading this, I can really use some Likes to keep him out of the next Deathmatch.

Joker

Here's what I've been doing lately. The same old build, but now with Lore, Background, and a reason to Role Play him again on Master from the start. I'll probably add more chapters to the play-through as I come to them.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you guys, but they're keeping me busy over there, and there's been like 4 alerts over the past few days, so I haven't been drawn back with any insistence.

Incidentally, if there's any Skyrimbloggers reading this, I can really use some Likes to keep him out of the next Deathmatch.

How ironic that you post this when I was going to ask you about a build. I have been all over this forum, reading different threads about this game, learning more about how others play, different styles. One thing that seems to be rather prevalent is the love for magicka usage. I read one thread where a guy even limits his character to certain schools like Frost/Flame/Shock. Only one school, weaponry enchantment, spells are all from one school. I thought that was interesting.

Anyway, here is my latest question for you. I haven't re-read this thread, so if I have asked this before, I am sorry. If, IF, IF, I wanted to play a pure mage, no weaponry, only light armor if any at all, primarily robes, how would the build look? I have an idea, but I am deferring to you.

How ironic that you post this when I was going to ask you about a build. I have been all over this forum, reading different threads about this game, learning more about how others play, different styles. One thing that seems to be rather prevalent is the love for magicka usage. I read one thread where a guy even limits his character to certain schools like Frost/Flame/Shock. Only one school, weaponry enchantment, spells are all from one school. I thought that was interesting.

Anyway, here is my latest question for you. I haven't re-read this thread, so if I have asked this before, I am sorry. If, IF, IF, I wanted to play a pure mage, no weaponry, only light armor if any at all, primarily robes, how would the build look? I have an idea, but I am deferring to you.
Do mean how it would it look look, or what kind of perks, and so forth? Probably Altmer, Bretons also come through with Magic Resistamce. It's fairly simple, though, all the shools, and spells, I use Illusion, Destruction, and Conjuration in combat. You want me to do a full build?

Joker

Do mean how it would it look look, or what kind of perks, and so forth? Probably Altmer, Bretons also come through with Magic Resistamce. It's fairly simple, though, all the shools, and spells, I use Illusion, Destruction, and Conjuration in combat. You want me to do a full build?

I would love to see a full build, along with some direction as to how to play this build.

I would love to see a full build, along with some direction as to how to play this build.
Yeah, that last part is the thing. On paper, the build is simple, High Elf, Alteration, Conjuration, Illusion, Destruction, Restoration, and Enchanting (Or, I substitute Alchemy.)

In practice, your'e going to be "Squishy." Even with Dragonhide, you won't have as much health as a Warrior, and your Damage dealing suffers from the low Destruction cap. I've used other skills, like Block to take advantage of the DoT on Wall of Flames, but it's just easier to run in and bash things with Heavy Armor.

For me, it's about using the spells affects against the enemy, instead of a Damage race. So, lead in with Fury (In Helgen Keep, I'm assuming you restart from Scratch.) and while they're fighting each other, use Flames to pour on the damage. As you get to higher levels, add more effects, and learn to use them in conjunction. Destruction does the most damage in the early game, then tapers of in the middle levels, so get that out of the way early. Burn Draugr, at 60 you can Augment all Elements twice.

Invisibility is the ultimate defense. Alteration can take his, but not being targeted keeps you from getting hit. Here's a couple ideas to get you started:
http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/character-building/forum/topics/character-build-the-moshpit-mage
http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/character-building/forum/topics/character-build-the-apprentice

Alchemy is more important than Enchanting, because the latter can lower your Casting Costs, while the former can actually raise your Damage (With Destruction) Durations (Alteration, Conjuration) or Affected Level (Illusion.) Use durations to recover before the effects wear off, this is what really rocks about Conjuration, especially. Destruction forces you to Spam yourself dry, and Illusion too to a degree, but Summons last long enough to recover normally unless you're a Vampire standing naked in the sun.

I'll see what I can whip up...

Joker

Psiberzerker, yeah this will be yet another restart :oops: ......I figured I would kinda squshy, and would roam to level up before any real questing. Maybe even finally go to the CoW for training.....once I get the hang of the magic dealing.

I'm thinking about redoing my Redgaurd Spellblade (when I get back to my Gaming machine.) I've done this enough times to recall everything (With my commentary to guide me) but this means no pictures for a while.

1H: Armsman, Hack&Slash, Fighting Stance, Critical Charge.
Destruction: Expert, Augment Elements (2x3=6) Disintegrate, Deep Freeze.
Alteration: Expert, Mage Armor(3) Resist Magic(3) Stability, Atronach.
Steel Smithing.

Dual Savagery/Impact late game options after I have the fundamentals of the Spell/Axe combo. Instead of stand, and slug, or turret stunlocking, alternate Spells, and setting up Critical Charges in open battle. Especially Lightning Bolt with Disintegrate to set them up for the Coup de Gras. Cloak Spells allow you to brush past weenies en passant on your way through the melee. (Usually to hit the Chief at the end of the Charge.) Late Game, Wall Spells can burn them down with Power Attacks to keep them stunned in the AoE, or Paralysis for Fire&Forget DPS kills.

Weapons: Swords, and Axes, mostly, the latter against targets like Draugr who don't bleed (Preferably with Fire damage, instead.) Imperial Sword (Fine) then Skyforge War Axe (Superior) with a Silver Sword, and Uthgerd to carry Frakas' Greatsword (Superior) The main quest as far as the Jorgenhorn to grab a Blades' Sword out of Delfine's hidey hole, and maybe Kynes' Grove for a Dragon Soul. Then The College of Winterhold in parrallel with the Dark Brotherhood. Eventually a Drainheart Sword for Lightning Charges, and Windshear to combo with Wall of Flames (Or whatever.) No Stealth, whatsoever, the Siblings of Sithis' quest Arc doesn't really require it if you're badass enough to take on massive numbers of Penitus Oculatus Agents at once. The Civil War for massed battles to really work the skillset, probably Empire to snaggle Ulfric's Clothes. (Though Uthgerd rocks Tullius') Possibly replace with Mjoll if I break Uthgerd.